• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coco Queen got crushed

Chris Chance

There was some excitement here today. I guy was running from the police and hid in my neighbor's yard. They actually chased him across the street and he hopped my wall. I actually saw it happened and got the kids upstairs. The guy was cought down the street but my coco queen was crushed.

20190804_163404.jpg

• Like 1

I am sorry. I am no criminal, that said, if I were running from the police, i would not stand a chance. They'd apprehend me while I admired a beautiful palm such as yours.

• Like 5

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

4 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

I am sorry. I am no criminal, that said, if I were running from the police, i would not stand a chance. They'd apprehend me while I admired a beautiful palm such as yours.

Hahaha yeah I bet you would stop like whoa so pretty. That palm was looking great. I was just admiring it earlier today and now it will be a while before it looks good. Hopefully it pulls through. I looked for one a long time.

• Like 2

Why can't these characters crush washies?  Hope it pulls through Ok. Which I imagine it will.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

The growth point is damaged badly so I really hope it makes grows past like nothing happened. I actually started planting chamaedoria under it using it as canopy. What do you all think? Will it pull through? 

• Like 1

Well @Chris Chance looks like your palm might make it.

If the growth bud ain't hurt, away it goes.

Trust me, I've committed ATROCITIES, and TORTURES.

Keep us advised and apprised.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm with Dave... I bet it will pull through.

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I think it will make it. Especially since it’s summer and everything is growing quickly there. 

I had a king palm leaf fall about 50’ the other day and the base of it hit a small Dypsis dead on. Broke the new spear and crushed another. It’s pushing out quickly though. So yeah, Palms can thankfully recover!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

I had a king palm leaf fall about 50’ the other day and the base of it hit a small Dypsis dead on. Broke the new spear and crushed another. It’s pushing out quickly though. So yeah, Palms can thankfully recover!

I had a similar thing happen but the drop was about half that at about 25'.  It landed on my Dypsis malcomberi hybrid and I'm still waiting to see what will happen.  No signs of growth for 2 weeks.  It is a small plant though so not established like Chris's Coco Queen.  Chris, just due to the overall size I think you stand a much higher probability (I was going to write "Chance") that it will survive.  Best of luck on this one and I'll being looking forward to update posts.

Anyone else thinking that a preemptive dose of an anti-fungal on the growth point and bend on Chris's plant might be a good idea?

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Maybe this is an odd question, but have you registered the damage with the police?  If there is a police record of it that may be proof needed if you have to have it replaced as far as insurance.  Might also tack some willful destruction charges onto the fleeing party?

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

@Chris Chance, seriously, I think your palm will be all right, though it might take a while.

I had a giant cedar tree in my front yard, and I planted chambeyroneas under it, and repeatedly dropped heavy branches on their growth points, and I've still got all of them. I also once crushed an Actinokentia with a piece of Archontophoenix trunk and it lived, too. Banged up but alive.

So, let us know how your palm is. If I were to bet, I'd say it'll be okay.

For general information, the real bad wound is when the trunk gets cut. That's bad news, and what happened to one of my caryotas that fell over. But I'm pretty sure your plant isn't cut.

Hope that helps! :greenthumb:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And, if you do end up replacing it, there's plenty of places to get them!

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's hard to see in the pictures but the growth point is broken pretty bad. I wonder if I should just do some surgery and cut everything at the break. It has been growing really fast over the last year even in the winter it grows so hopefully it gets right back on track if it pushes through. 

• Upvote 1

To echo what Dave said, my parents had a Laurel Oak fall directly on a mature Butia and mash the growing point up. The palm pushed out a few odd leaves and was perfectly fine, although it looked like a bad hair day for a while.

• Upvote 1

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Just let it grow. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update after two weeks this palm is moving right along. Looks messed up but should recover.  In this picture you can see it pushed past the break.

20190819_110019.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Woohoo glad to hear :D Beautiful palm tree , would've been a damn shame if you lost it that way haha 

T J 

• 9 months later...

Wanted to update. This palm has grown quite a bit since last summer. If you look you can see where the leaves were broken and how much it has grown since. I thought about cutting everything up to that point but I think I'll just leave it be for now. Also I believe it's starting to trunk. Hard to get a good picture of the whole thing. 

20200523_110900.jpg

20200523_110922.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Wanted to update. This palm has grown quite a bit since last summer. If you look you can see where the leaves were broken and how much it has grown since. I thought about cutting everything up to that point but I think I'll just leave it be for now. Also I believe it's starting to trunk. Hard to get a good picture of the whole thing. 

20200523_110900.jpg

20200523_110922.jpg

Hooray for you and hip-hip-hooray for the coco queen!

Gratz! Nice comeback!

• 4 months later...

Another 5 months later this thing is an absolute rocket now! It's actually got flowers emerging. 

20201020_091633.jpg

20201020_091658.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chris Chance said:

Another 5 months later this thing is an absolute rocket now! It's actually got flowers emerging. 

20201020_091633.jpg

20201020_091658.jpg

They all flower very early, without fail...Patric is hybridizing off of mine.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

They all flower very early, without fail...Patric is hybridizing off of mine.

I actually thought about that. I also have a few mules starting to flower this year. Might try and see if I can produce something out of them. Should be a fun experiment and I don't even need a ladder. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

I actually thought about that. I also have a few mules starting to flower this year. Might try and see if I can produce something out of them. Should be a fun experiment and I don't even need a ladder. 

Patric has some crosses available off of my Coco Queens, if you want to expedite things :D

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

5 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Patric has some crosses available off of my Coco Queens, if you want to expedite things :D

I was just looking at his list. He has it crossed with Butia x monty. Sounds interesting

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

great recovery.

On 8/4/2019 at 9:23 PM, Hillizard said:

Sounds like a good reason to plant some cactus along the fence line as a deterrent! ;)

Yuccas are a much more formidable deterrent.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/4/2019 at 6:17 PM, GottmitAlex said:

Why can't these characters crush washies?  Hope it pulls through Ok. Which I imagine it will.

I think CIDP would be a good palm to crush, they would at least remember it for a long time.

• Like 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

I think CIDP would be a good palm to crush, they would at least remember it for a long time.

I think they would have needed the fire department to rescue them if that was the case. 

On 10/20/2020 at 9:20 AM, Chris Chance said:

20201020_091633.jpg

20201020_091658.jpg

“WHAT? PRESUME TO CRUSH ME???!!!

“Not only did I recover with a vengeance but I’m gonna reproduce!

“MUAH HAHA HA !!!!”

glad to see Chris!