Sign in to follow this  
Marius

Brahea ID

Marius

Hi Everyone. 

I will appreciate any inputs/ comments on the ID of these 2 Brahea palms. 

0CA0A35F-2581-437D-B2A7-FBD5A76F1F14.jpeg

838F0631-5525-4E45-8A0B-9F2F3B752496.jpeg

Marius

1C11AB4B-F463-46B5-97AB-6453F18A6FF7.jpeg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Xerarch
      By Xerarch
      So last year I got some Franken Brahea seeds (among other seeds) courtesy of Dooms Dave. In March 2018 I used the baggie germination method and the Chamaedorea radicalis came right up. The others didn’t, not surprising, some things take longer to germinate. 
      In May/June of 2018 we moved into a different house and I took the bags and bottom-heating pad and got them set up in the basement of the new place. Well, life takes hold of you and we’re living out of boxes for weeks while getting things set up while still trying to work, take care of kids etc. and my bags full of palm seeds did not get adequate attention. Even within the bags, the soil dried out and I didn’t notice until they were all bone dry....bone dry. I’ve ruined seeds before by letting them dry up so I knew I had blown it. I’m too busy to mess with it so I left them and turned off the bottom heat.
      Imagine my surprise when in July 2018 (that’s 16 months after placing them in the bag and probably nearly a year after they dried up) I see palm sprouts galore inside the bag, one even pierced the bag, the rest were bent over at the top of the sealed bag!
      I can’t believe it, I’m lucky I noticed them, they could have died from lack of light, let alone water. They are all now safely potted up. Needless to say, after the miracle I quickly went and re-hydrated the remaining bags of seeds, who knows. Might get lucky again. 

• Marius
      By Marius
      Hi Everyone. 
      I am struggling to decide if this is a Brahea aculeata or a Livistona decora. It’s been in a pot for years and I’m deciding if I should buy it. My thoughts on id are based on undivided leaf bases, fine downward pointing petiole spines and glossy green deeply divided costapalmate leaves. Any thoughts will be appreciated. 

• SilverDragon
      By SilverDragon
      Does anyone have any success with this palm in a greenhouse or indoor setting? What about any pictures of it growing near you, if you have it in your area?
    • Grasswing
      By Grasswing
      Hello everyone,
      it has been quite some time I posted something on Palmtalk, but now I am back and happy to see so much progress in your gardens!
      Now the story:
      In 2014 I received some Brahea sp. seeds from Phoenikakias, I tried them few times, but they didn't sprout and as the time passed I stopped trying and forgot that I still have some left. I rediscovered them them this April and got an idea to try "removing the lid" as I've read in topic posted by Cypalms and John in Andalucia (links bellow). And it really worked!
      I removed pulp residue by sandpaper, soaked seeds for 2 minutes in 70% ethanol, then few more minutes in diluted bleach and placed in previously boiled distilled water for 2 days.
      After soaking them for 2 days, I removed the area (operculum) above the embryo by scalpel to expose it. I tried to stay sterile as much as possible, to prevent bacteria/fungus contamination.

I placed prepared seeds in coco peat (also boiled for some time) so the embryos were a bit above the surface and placed them in incubator with constant temperature 30°C (86 F).

6 days later the embryo started to grow out:

Yesterday and today:

It really surprised me that even almost 4 years old seed of slow germinating species such as Brahea can sprout in less than two weeks using this technique, I encourage you to try it too!
      I will try some other species such as Butia and see the results. I'll keep you updated!
      Regards,

Ondra
      Inspired by:
      Cypalms:
      John in Andalucia:

• DoomsDave
      By DoomsDave
      Wow, it's Easter evening, and I sit, gazing at a HUGE amount of Brahea hybrid seeds, needing a home, and love.
      Below is a picture of the parent. GORGEOUS, I think.(Pic below.) 10 M (30 feet) tall, 3.33 M (10 feet) across crown, about 2 - 3 feet (.6 - 1 M) across base of trunk (without leaf bases). This plant is awesome.
      I've sent many seed before, and I'll send many more again. These will take heat, cold, and more water than most Braheas. What is not to love?
      If you want seeds, FREE OF CHARGE send me a Private Message ("PM") with "Brahea seeds" in the topic, and your mailing address, and some seeds will be yours!
      Happy (no, ECSTATIC) palm growing!