IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Name of palm please ?

Patrick Palms

Please , is this a Golden cane palm? Grows widely here in Fuerteventura 

20190802_100820.jpg

• Like 1

I have seen they growing in full sun, is that normal? I always thought they prefer shade ?

If kept in large pot, can they grow well? And more easy to keep to nice size ? As i want one, for my terrace

Dypsis lutescens is easy to buy, but most are grown indoors..if i put straight outside , wont these die?,how do i get a indoor plant , used to full sun ?

Start it in mostly shade, gradually move it part sun, mostly sun finally full sun. Give it time and patience.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Patrick, I think the Dypsis lutescens would be a great palm for your terrace @ 28N.  While they're certainly not rare exotics members here would get excited about they're easy to grow, very tropical looking, and look nice when there's a breeze unlike some other palms that look like they're in a hurricane when there's a little breeze. Here @ 26N they look better than many other palms, bananas, etc. in the windy months because they don't seem to suffer as much from wind burn and full sun is no problem for juveniles & larger plants. Seedlings and small plants do better in shade or partial shade. Also growing in a pot (with good draining soil) you can water till it runs out the bottom and fills the tray without worrying about root rot issues as long as you let the tray dry out before watering again.

If you like these and they do well on your terrace you might want to try growing some from seed for fun. They're easy to grow from seed and could be done out on your terrace. The in ground ones in your area should be starting to drop seed pretty soon. They produce a lot of seed and you can just scoop a handful up under a tree if you want to try growing from seed. Germination rate is high in almost any soil and quick, just put them in a community pot, keep them moist,  and in a couple weeks you'll have seedlings. If they pop up and you want to make more just go pick up more seed, you've got a few months to collect and easily germinate fresh seeds.

Top pic below of potted plant is on the East side of my home and gets full morning sun till early afternoon before the shade of the house gets to it (probably similar to your terrace). Notice the tray is full from rain yesterday. I won't water it till the tray is dry for a day and if it rains again and fills the tray back up it's no big deal, I just leave it..  In ground pic of larger specimen is in full sun out in yard. I cut all the flowers off of it so I don't get a mess to clean or thousands of seedlings. Last pic (taken today) is large privacy screen planting to show the seeds and the seeds are just starting to drop.

20190804_110419_zpsmygcozvz.jpg

20190312_092013_zpswuvhstfv.jpg

20190804_113738_zpsjefiggrt.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

They're an easy grower here in FL. The only issue with them here can be the cold, but that won't be a problem where you're at. 

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

So young 4 feet high ones, can take strong winds , especially in winter evening lows of 15c ( 55f)  the winds on our terace , come from north east

One this size in pot , should do nicely. Gets shade in morning and full sun in afternoon..but mostly, always windy...My only worry , is most garden centers have them inside..Green house grown might need more protection??

Screenshot_20190804-233959_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Patrick Palms said:

So young 4 feet high ones, can take strong winds , especially in winter evening lows of 15c ( 55f)  the winds on our terace , come from north east

They can handle occasional temperature drops to the lower 30s (1 to 3C) as long as there’s no frost so 15C is absolutely nothing to worry about. 

Potted specimens will grow more slowly and, since it’s a clumping palm, any stem that eventually grows too tall can be removed and there will be plenty of younger ones to take its place. If you want a similar palm that will never outgrow your terrace, try Chamaedorea cataractum. They have similar foliage and don’t form trunks. They will take sone sun when acclimated as well. 

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

IHow Does a Dypsis Baronii differ? Both look simular? Often called the sugar cane, i believe 

6 hours ago, Patrick Palms said:

Screenshot_20190805-024401_Gallery.jpg

D. baronii are great palms that are easy to grow and are smaller stature than D. lutescens. I'm not sure the availability in your area. They're not typically as commonly available as D. lutescens which is commercially grown in high numbers. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Boronii are slower growing ? But can take winds equally as good ? 

9 minutes ago, Patrick Palms said:

Boronii are slower growing ? But can take winds equally as good ? 

My baronii fronds bend and damage easier in high winds than most of my palms. D. lutescens are really good in the wind. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Why is the Dypsis Lutescens  also called the Chrysalidocarpus Lutescens - Golden Cane Palm very confusing

is the areca palm the same as a Chrysalidocarpus Lutescens ? or dypsis Lutscens ? are they in fact all the same palm ? I thought the Areca was more of a greener stem ?

53 minutes ago, Patrick Palms said:

Why is the Dypsis Lutescens  also called the Chrysalidocarpus Lutescens - Golden Cane Palm very confusing

Old genus discarded 1995 in favor of Dypsis. https://wcsp.science.kew.org/namedetail.do?name_id=39866

Edit: Areca palm, golden cane palm, butterfly palm -- all these are common names applied to what is formally known as Dypsis lutescens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

So the common house plant , you see around the world, in offices, is in fact the golden cane palm

This Areca selling here, but stems looking Green, should they not be more yellow ?

areca_500.JPG

It appears to be in shade, so the color will be less evident.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Also, can side shoots,be trimed off, to reveal more of the cane like trunk ?

1 hour ago, Patrick Palms said:

Also, can side shoots,be trimed off, to reveal more of the cane like trunk ?

Yes you can cut off new shoots you don't want.

Baronii natural habitat of a rain forest doesn't really match your no rain summer so I'd see if you can find people growing it in similar conditions to yours before trying it. http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_baronii

I see.I know its widely grown in Australia.   Withour dry warm conditions,  Areca is best bet

2 hours ago, Patrick Palms said:

I see.I know its widely grown in Australia.   Withour dry warm conditions,  Areca is best bet

You were asking for the name of the palm you had posted here: The correct name is Dypsis/Chrysalidocarpus lutescens. Why are you using repeatedly the wrong name Areca which belongs to a different genus? :bemused: Here a photo of a typical Areca (catechu):

1371364299_Arecacatechu87N08-0217.thumb.jpg.e61d7a9fef366fc4c8fcb01652bd1d58.jpg

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Everyone says they are the same?  So golden cane palm is areca or dypsis l ? 

Dypsis Lutescens does look more like a Golden Cane Palm.  Young ones have the golden looking stems. Areca more greener

And the Sugar cane palm is the Dypsis Baronii  saw a youtube from Aussie of Palm guy selling and growing them. 

Golden Cane Palm - Dypsis Lutescens The Golden Cane comes from Madagascar; it grows naturally along streams in thickets. This palm is one of the most popular and attractive palms, a natural yellow color clustering trunked plant that is feathered-leaved. The root system is non-invasive, making it good around houses or pools for privacy and screening of neighbours. The Golden Cane grows to 12 metres and is an unarmed palm (no spikes or spines) making it easy to move and handle. It grows best in tropical and sub-tropical areas, but is good as an indoor palm anywhere.

Chrysalidocarpus Lutescens - Golden Cane Palm.jpg

On 8/5/2019 at 9:39 AM, Jim in Los Altos said:

"They have similar foliage and don’t form trunks".

Your's may be too young Jim.

Mine in the ground for many years, form ugly trunks that divide into more ugly trunks, (trunk division is unusual in palms)

they then become top heavy and do me a favour by snapping off at the base in strong winds. Always messy looking in my garden.

But in a pot your recommendation does still hold.

190809.thumb.jpg.5a629967992cb36ebc70544bbbe9be87.jpg

20190809_102001.thumb.jpg.88d3720643fcf4c92c5876e279004942.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

18 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

Your's may be too young Jim.

Mine in the ground for many years, form ugly trunks that divide into more ugly trunks, (trunk division is unusual in palms)

they then become top heavy and do me a favour by snapping off at the base in strong winds. Always messy looking in my garden.

But in a pot your recommendation does still hold.

The saying  "a pic is worth a thousand words" couldn't be more true than in this case! When I read the post I thought  "ugly?....hmmmm.... really?"  Then I scrolled down... ahahaha  I think I'd plant something around them to screen the trunks.

Can you root the broken off trunks if you cut them at the splits?

I didn't try mate,  but my feeling was that the ones that had broken off down low and had some roots already on them would have lived if I had wanted them.

Putting an axe through the middle would probably be ok too, to divide the clump. 

But I don't think that a higher division at the splits would be viable.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

31 minutes ago, gtsteve said:

I didn't try mate,  but my feeling was that the ones that had broken off down low and had some roots already on them would have lived if I had wanted them.

Putting an axe through the middle would probably be ok too, to divide the clump. 

But I don't think that a higher division at the splits would be viable.

I have some but no trunks. IF mine do trunk or I find a trunking one I can get permission to molest I'll try to see if they can be rooted.  Just out of curiosity.  Here we just make new ones from division. All mine are from neighbors who work in landscape maintenance. I pilfer their trucks occasionally at the end of the day looking for treasures and if they've been "weeding"  cataractum I'll pull them & pot them.

For Patrick I think the Cats are kinda small for what he's looking for and he been burning up Adonidia with wind & sun so Chamaedorea cataractum probably would not do much better.