IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Name of palm please ?

Patrick Palms

21 hours ago, Patrick Palms said:

Pic you shown is a beetle nut palm

Betel nut palm = Areca catechu

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areca

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areca_catechu

The latin terminus Areca was first introduced for that betel palm by Linné in 1753.

Please use the correct name for your Dypsis palms when you were here asking: »Name of palm please?«

• Like 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Patrick, I agree with Pal Meir. You should just stick to the Latin names. It's particularly confusing when a Dypsis has a common name Areca and you're bouncing back & forth between Latin names and common names.

On 8/8/2019 at 5:34 PM, gtsteve said:

Your's may be too young Jim.

Mine in the ground for many years, form ugly trunks that divide into more ugly trunks, (trunk division is unusual in palms)

they then become top heavy and do me a favour by snapping off at the base in strong winds. Always messy looking in my garden.

But in a pot your recommendation does still hold.

190809.thumb.jpg.5a629967992cb36ebc70544bbbe9be87.jpg

20190809_102001.thumb.jpg.88d3720643fcf4c92c5876e279004942.jpg

Mine have been in the ground over 20 years and have no trunks whatsoever. Perhaps your’s is a hybrid. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

• 2 weeks later...

Since we're discussing D. lutescens, how do you think this would do in a northern greenhouse over the winter?  Temperature ranges from around 40-75F during the day depending on how sunny and mild the day is and nights sit around 40F using a heater.  I overwinter P. roebellini and C. humilis in these conditions and they do fine (though they grow slowly even during the summer when they're outdoors in full sun).  I'm looking to add another palm, but I just don't have good luck keeping any palm so far in the house due to the dryness during the winter.

19 minutes ago, Adam_NY said:

Since we're discussing D. lutescens, how do you think this would do in a northern greenhouse over the winter?  Temperature ranges from around 40-75F during the day depending on how sunny and mild the day is and nights sit around 40F using a heater.  I overwinter P. roebellini and C. humilis in these conditions and they do fine (though they grow slowly even during the summer when they're outdoors in full sun).  I'm looking to add another palm, but I just don't have good luck keeping any palm so far in the house due to the dryness during the winter.

You should be able to keep Dypsis lutescens in the house in Westchester county NY. I kept them indoor without any special effort other than being near a bright window in Fairfield county CT for many years.

Just now, NOT A TA said:

You should be able to keep Dypsis lutescens in the house in Westchester county NY. I kept them indoor without any special effort other than being near a bright window in Fairfield county CT for many years.

Thanks--it will tolerate the dryness?  Did you have any issues with spider mites?

My house was dry and no issues with mites. I didn't mist them or anything, just watered them. Put them out on the deck during summer. I still have them, brought them to S FL and planted them outside.

• Like 1