IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

RPS has recently advertised seeds of uncommon Ceroxylon

Hillizard

I just noticed that RPS now lists a new (?) batch of seeds of Ceroxylon sasaimae. I got seeds of this one previously but months later none have sprouted. I'll probably order it again. I hope someone else on this forum (who has better luck germinating/growing this genus) will try also. It may be a species that is adaptable to a wider range of growing zones.  It's certainly an attractive palm! https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/ceroxylon-sasaimae

• Upvote 1

I've pretty much thrown the towel in on this genus.  Just too hot here, even with cool nights.  These things are under duress and attacked by scale 9 months of the year.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I've pretty much thrown the towel in on this genus.  Just too hot here, even with cool nights.  These things are under duress and attacked by scale 9 months of the year.

Ben: I've lost specimens of 3 species of palms in this genus but I guess I've taken it on as a challenge. I'm determined to find that one tree in one of the species that decides to live, either in my sunroom or outdoors, in a pot or in the ground. I'll let you know if I have any success (or extra specimens to share for a local trial)! ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My recent order of Ceroxylon sasaimae from RPS just arrived by U.S. post this morning! This will be my second attempt at germination, hopefully with seeds that are fresher (still viable) this time! I will soak them in water for a couple of days, treat them with hydrogen peroxide and/or copper solution, and then keep them in a mix of damp vermiculite/pumice, indoors, in closed containers, at room temperature. I welcome advice and suggestions from anyone who's had success germinating seeds of any species in this genus!  :)

Ceroxylon_sasaimae09.31.19.png

1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

My recent order of Ceroxylon sasaimae from RPS just arrived by U.S. post this morning! This will be my second attempt at germination, hopefully with seeds that are fresher (still viable) this time! I will soak them in water for a couple of days, treat them with hydrogen peroxide and/or copper solution, and then keep them in a mix of damp vermiculite/pumice, indoors, in closed containers, at room temperature. I welcome advice and suggestions from anyone who's had success germinating seeds of any species in this genus!  :)

Ceroxylon_sasaimae09.31.19.png

Ceroxylon of all types are easy to germinate, indoors or out...at least in my experience.

It's keeping them alive in this climate that is next to impossible.

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

39 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Ceroxylon of all types are easy to germinate, indoors or out...at least in my experience.

It's keeping them alive in this climate that is next to impossible.

Ben: That's been my experience as well, but I keep hoping a species I've not tried before (or a rare individual of that species) might make it. Of this batch I just got, 18 of the seeds sunk in water and two floated, so that's not too bad a start. If any of them grow I may offer a few to public Bay Area botanical gardens as 'legacy' donations.  :hmm:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Ben: That's been my experience as well, but I keep hoping a species I've not tried before (or a rare individual of that species) might make it. Of this batch I just got, 18 of the seeds sunk in water and two floated, so that's not too bad a start. If any of them grow I may offer a few to public Bay Area botanical gardens as 'legacy' donations.  :hmm:

I haven't found one worthwhile yet.  Even the ones that live are under duress 8 months of the year and constantly attacked by scale.

Ben Rogers

1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I haven't found one worthwhile yet.  Even the ones that live are under duress 8 months of the year and constantly attacked by scale.

Maybe the Arboretum in Golden Gate Park will be the only place they can succeed long-term. Have you tried to grow C. sasaimae before?

Just now, Hillizard said:

Maybe the Arboretum in Golden Gate Park will be the only place they can succeed long-term. Have you tried to grow C. sasaimae before?

Nah, so many genus do well here, I've mostly moved on from this one...

I have the heat that SF lacks, so I will use that to my advantage as opposed to a detriment!

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

9 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Nah, so many genus do well here, I've mostly moved on from this one...

I have the heat that SF lacks, so I will use that to my advantage as opposed to a detriment!

Same where I live in terms of the heat. I already have so many cold-hardy palms, I'm trying to see what borderline species I can grow here with canopy protection from the summer sun and winter cold. My Kentiopsis oliviformis endured the winter outdoors in a 20-gal. pot with little protection. I have it planted now in the ground underneath a Brachychiton and it's putting out a new leaf and looks good... so far.  We'll see what it looks like in March 2020! :unsure:

8 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Same where I live in terms of the heat. I already have so many cold-hardy palms, I'm trying to see what borderline species I can grow here with canopy protection from the summer sun and winter cold. My Kentiopsis oliviformis endured the winter outdoors in a 20-gal. pot with little protection. I have it planted now in the ground underneath a Brachychiton and it's putting out a new leaf and looks good... so far.  We'll see what it looks like in March 2020! :unsure:

Should be fine.  I've had 6 or 7 Kentiopsis in ground 5-6 years.  Slow as molasses but seem pretty hardy.

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

5 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Should be fine.  I've had 6 or 7 Kentiopsis in ground 5-6 years.  Slow as molasses but seem pretty hardy.

That's great to know! Yes, mine is a slow grower too, but at least leaves are large and last a long time. Are yours in full or partial sun? How tall are they?

Just now, Hillizard said:

That's great to know! Yes, mine is a slow grower too, but at least leaves are large and last a long time. Are yours in full or partial sun? How tall are they?

Varied exposure, but all in some shade.  I don't think they could take full sun here.  No trunk on any of mine but new fronds all over head high.

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

• 4 weeks later...

Success! First visible sign of germination from my RPS C. sasaimae seeds. There may be others in this batch, but I'm not disturbing them at this time to check. In preparation for planting on 02.09.19, I soaked the seeds in water for two days (18 of the 20 sank), gave them a brief hydrogen peroxide bath and then pressed them 2/3s of the way into some commercial seedling medium (milled sphagnum moss +perlite). I then doused the semi-exposed, planted seeds with an anti-fungal copper treatment a few times. The plastic containers have been kept indoors (upper 70s F.). 

CeroxylonSasaimaeGermination092819.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what this same C. sasaimae seedling looks like today. At this time it's the only one that's germinated, although the other 17 seeds still appear intact. Amazes me how something that looks so vulnerable at this stage can survive and grow in the wild... in a tropical environment full of organisms that might see it as a bit of tasty salad!

CeroxylonSasaimaeOct2019.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update on what my most advanced C. sasaimae seedling looks like today next to a newer sprout. It got burned initially under one set of LED lights, so I moved it to a better LED lighting system next to a south-facing window. It's kept in a plastic bag for higher humidity.  I put 10 seeds in 3 separate containers and a couple have sprouted in each. They are kept indoors in the mid-to-upper 60s deg. F. (~ 18.33 C) and in a commercial seedling potting medium.

CeroxylonJan2020.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Ceroxylon sasaimae germination update from RPS seed: Of the 18 seeds that appeared to be viable, so far 8 have now germinated, although one seedling got a fungus infection and died (though the roots still look healthy). I spritz them periodically with a copper spray to keep the fungus down. These seeds are kept at room temperature in commercial media, in high humidity, and get 12+ hours of sun a day (both natural and via LED plant lights).

• 3 weeks later...

Planted out the largest of my Ceroxylon sasaimae seedlings today. From the flattened look of the main root, I should have done this awhile ago! :blush:

CeroxylonSasaimaeRoots2020.png

CeroxylonSasaimae2020.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The germination rate of the Ceroxylon sasaimae seeds I got from RPS is just over 50% (so far). When they get larger I'll probably donate several of these plants to Bay Area botanical gardens, since the weather nearer the coast is probably more conducive to their development. That way, in those public settings, future generations of horticulturists/botanists/palm enthusiasts will be able to see/study/enjoy them. :)

Csasaimae04.2020.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great work! I got to see a couple of these in gardens on the 2018 Colombia Biennial Tour.

• Like 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

18 minutes ago, JasonD said:

Great work! I got to see a couple of these in gardens on the 2018 Colombia Biennial Tour.

Thanks for the compliment! It wasn't so much any 'skill' on my part as it was these RPS seeds being fresh. We'll see how they do through spring and summer here. Not sure when I might lower the humidity they're in and/or move them outdoors into light shade. Since they have sparse root systems at this stage, I won't be repotting them from treepots anytime soon.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update on the Ceroxylon sasaimae seeds from RPS: Out of the original 20, I managed to get 9 to sprout. They've all now been moved into treepots. Pictured here is the most advanced one which is from the first seed to germinate. In my sunroom I've found they can tolerate triple digit heat IF they're in a very humid environment (i.e., tented in plastic bags). That's how I'll maintain them until some can be moved to Bay Area arboreta where they should do much better. Too bad it'll take decades for them to become mature! :unsure:

CeroxylonSasaimae.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My ten Ceroxylon sasaimae seedlings (from RPS) survived triple-digit heat in my sunroom this summer and with luck will have less environmental stress through fall and winter. I'm keeping the humidity up to discourage spider mites. Once they start to become pinnate (next year?) , I'll distribute them to public gardens in the Bay Area and perhaps a couple to SoCal.

Ceroxylon_sasaimaeOct2020.png

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

They look superb! 

I've not yet tried this Ceroxylon species although they are still available from RPS. My Ceroxylon Parvifrons and quindiuense seem much slower growing in comparison. Though I’ve read that c. Sesaimae prefers warmer conditions overall than other Ceroxylon- which is the reason I haven’t tried it yet as I wanted the more cool tolerant varieties

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 9:15 AM, Plantasexoticas said:

They look superb! 

I've not yet tried this Ceroxylon species although they are still available from RPS. My Ceroxylon Parvifrons and quindiuense seem much slower growing in comparison. Though I’ve read that c. Sesaimae prefers warmer conditions overall than other Ceroxylon- which is the reason I haven’t tried it yet as I wanted the more cool tolerant varieties

Thanks! I agree this species does appear to prefer warmer conditions. Growth of these seedlings has slowed considerably this winter with overnight temps in my sunroom dipping to 40 deg.F and less sunlight overall. They also don't enjoy the 'hard' water where I live (leaf tips browning) , so I'm trying to use only rainwater. My eventual plan is to distribute a few to botanical gardens in California where they may have a decent chance at maturing.

• Like 1

I hope they do well for you. 

I’m not entirely sure why but I’m really fascinated with this genus. Just ordered c.alpinum to add to my collection and may try sesaimae at a later date  if they are available. 

intigued to see how you get on with yours.

couple of my seedlings. 10 in total. Putting on some size now. It was recommended that I don’t pot them up too quickly due to the small root system but the ones I did have responded well and most have roots just starting to poke from the bottom. 

21823E72-399D-4EC7-8AE0-AA1C20DE8B6E.jpeg

9D1014C5-1AD9-4C54-A6DF-013A2B46C96B.jpeg

3157DDD6-DD35-466E-88C2-CADF52BFAF32.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plantasexoticas said:

I hope they do well for you. 

I’m not entirely sure why but I’m really fascinated with this genus. Just ordered c.alpinum to add to my collection and may try sesaimae at a later date  if they are available. 

intigued to see how you get on with yours.

couple of my seedlings. 10 in total. Putting on some size now. It was recommended that I don’t pot them up too quickly due to the small root system but the ones I did have responded well and most have roots just starting to poke from the bottom. 

Plantasexoticas:  You are growing some very robust Ceroxylon seedlings there! Congratulations on your success. :greenthumb: I'm certain we'll all want to see how they do outdoors either in pots or in the ground in your location eventually if you decide that's suitable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Plantasexoticas:  You are growing some very robust Ceroxylon seedlings there! Congratulations on your success. :greenthumb: I'm certain we'll all want to see how they do outdoors either in pots or in the ground in your location eventually if you decide that's suitable.

Ah thank you very much :) I’m definitely very pleased with them. I know of a few attempts to grow these in the milder parts of the uk but so far  not successfully. 

however lots of seedlings give me an opportunity to experiment and I’m trying to toughen then up early on instead of buying a larger plant that has more than likely been growing somewhere much warmer and frost free. 

I leave them outside in all but the harshest of weather and so far they have taken 32f several times, however anything predicted lower than that then I bring them inside. So far in my area I’ve not had lower than 24.8f in the last 5 years though it could go lower in the future. But all in all they are usually only inside for about 2-3 weeks of the year - like this week where the temperatures are varying between 26.5-39f. 

I'm quietly confident that growing from seed has helped me find and create hardier plants. I have Chambeyronia treated the same way. I grew 10 from seed and many just did not take to be outside but I’ve got 2 that for some reason have adapted much better and we’re pushing out fronds in December in temperatures ranging from 42-55f - again only inside if temperatures are likely to go to freezing. 

42E28078-2177-40C3-A655-D259457CC158.jpeg

0618B025-A86E-4E06-BE29-FC27E0179358.jpeg

7DFC649E-C05C-4A6F-B8DF-EFC917B36A23.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Ah thank you very much :) I’m definitely very pleased with them. I know of a few attempts to grow these in the milder parts of the uk but so far  not successfully. 

however lots of seedlings give me an opportunity to experiment and I’m trying to toughen then up early on instead of buying a larger plant that has more than likely been growing somewhere much warmer and frost free. 

I leave them outside in all but the harshest of weather and so far they have taken 32f several times, however anything predicted lower than that then I bring them inside. So far in my area I’ve not had lower than 24.8f in the last 5 years though it could go lower in the future. But all in all they are usually only inside for about 2-3 weeks of the year - like this week where the temperatures are varying between 26.5-39f. 

I'm quietly confident that growing from seed has helped me find and create hardier plants. I have Chambeyronia treated the same way. I grew 10 from seed and many just did not take to be outside but I’ve got 2 that for some reason have adapted much better and we’re pushing out fronds in December in temperatures ranging from 42-55f - again only inside if temperatures are likely to go to freezing. 

You wrote: "I’ve got 2 that for some reason have adapted much better..."

I also have tried my version of tough love with seedlings, hoping it reveals the ones in a batch -- due to their unique genetic makeup -- may be more tolerant of lower temps. Plants may be seen as "individuals" too, in that regard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

You wrote: "I’ve got 2 that for some reason have adapted much better..."

I also have tried my version of tough love with seedlings, hoping it reveals the ones in a batch -- due to their unique genetic makeup -- may be more tolerant of lower temps. Plants may be seen as "individuals" too, in that regard.

Yeah I’m inclined to agree, have you had any particular successes with your methods? 

6 hours ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Yeah I’m inclined to agree, have you had any particular successes with your methods? 

Right now I have a pot of Ptychosperma schefferi seedlings bagged in plastic and the majority of them are doing OK in my unheated sunroom, along with Beccariophoenix alfredii seedlings unbagged and the Ceroxylon. Also have a range of SW U.S. native desert plants I've sprouted (from another Palmtalker) that I'm testing under the same conditions and all are still alive, unbagged.  It usually takes 3-4 years before I know if something can overwinter under those conditions. Some palm species decline very sloooowly over time. ;)

• 1 year later...

Update on my Ceroxylon sasaimae. Still have 5 left from the RPS seeds I got just over 3 years ago. Took awhile to figure out how much heat and humidity they like. I'm keeping them in my sunroom in a pan of water and they're growing ok. Still, I plan to eventually move them to conditions that will suit them better: one or more public gardens in the Bay Area.

Sept2022.png

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

Just donated all of these to the S.F. Arboretum this past week. They were grown from RPS seeds. It was becoming increasingly challenging to keep them alive and thriving in the conditions of my sunroom in the Sacto suburbs. The staff in San Francisco were very happy to accept them. It'll be at least 5 years before they're big enough to plant out in their Ceroxylon collection.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Good on you, Hillizard !  :greenthumb: 

Thanks Darold! I hope they can develop in a climate more suitable to this species and that everyone (incl. me if I live that long!) will eventually get to enjoy them as mature specimens in a public garden. I also hope that in that batch of seedlings there's at least one male and one female!!😉

• Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 3:34 PM, Hillizard said:

Just donated all of these to the S.F. Arboretum this past week. They were grown from RPS seeds. It was becoming increasingly challenging to keep them alive and thriving in the conditions of my sunroom in the Sacto suburbs. The staff in San Francisco were very happy to accept them. It'll be at least 5 years before they're big enough to plant out in their Ceroxylon collection.

What a rockstar move! Hopefully also a source of future seed for this part of the world. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

What a rockstar move! Hopefully also a source of future seed for this part of the world. 

Josue: Yes, it would be great if there is at least one male and one female among those seedlings! Maybe by the mid to late 2030s we'll find out! Ha ha!

If anyone else grows Ceroxylon species in NorCal, they could donate them to The Gardens at Lake Merritt in Oakland as well as the UC Botanical Gardens in Berkeley. Both should have suitable microclimates for that genus.🌴

• Like 1