Sign in to follow this  
Hillizard

RPS has recently advertised seeds of uncommon Ceroxylon

Hillizard

I just noticed that RPS now lists a new (?) batch of seeds of Ceroxylon sasaimae. I got seeds of this one previously but months later none have sprouted. I'll probably order it again. I hope someone else on this forum (who has better luck germinating/growing this genus) will try also. It may be a species that is adaptable to a wider range of growing zones.  It's certainly an attractive palm! https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/ceroxylon-sasaimae

• Upvote 1

Ben in Norcal

I've pretty much thrown the towel in on this genus.  Just too hot here, even with cool nights.  These things are under duress and attacked by scale 9 months of the year.

Hillizard
1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I've pretty much thrown the towel in on this genus.  Just too hot here, even with cool nights.  These things are under duress and attacked by scale 9 months of the year.

Ben: I've lost specimens of 3 species of palms in this genus but I guess I've taken it on as a challenge. I'm determined to find that one tree in one of the species that decides to live, either in my sunroom or outdoors, in a pot or in the ground. I'll let you know if I have any success (or extra specimens to share for a local trial)! ;)

• Like 1

Hillizard

My recent order of Ceroxylon sasaimae from RPS just arrived by U.S. post this morning! This will be my second attempt at germination, hopefully with seeds that are fresher (still viable) this time! I will soak them in water for a couple of days, treat them with hydrogen peroxide and/or copper solution, and then keep them in a mix of damp vermiculite/pumice, indoors, in closed containers, at room temperature. I welcome advice and suggestions from anyone who's had success germinating seeds of any species in this genus!  :)

Ceroxylon_sasaimae09.31.19.png

Ben in Norcal
1 hour ago, Hillizard said:

My recent order of Ceroxylon sasaimae from RPS just arrived by U.S. post this morning! This will be my second attempt at germination, hopefully with seeds that are fresher (still viable) this time! I will soak them in water for a couple of days, treat them with hydrogen peroxide and/or copper solution, and then keep them in a mix of damp vermiculite/pumice, indoors, in closed containers, at room temperature. I welcome advice and suggestions from anyone who's had success germinating seeds of any species in this genus!  :)

Ceroxylon_sasaimae09.31.19.png

Ceroxylon of all types are easy to germinate, indoors or out...at least in my experience.

It's keeping them alive in this climate that is next to impossible.

• Like 1

Hillizard
39 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Ceroxylon of all types are easy to germinate, indoors or out...at least in my experience.

It's keeping them alive in this climate that is next to impossible.

Ben: That's been my experience as well, but I keep hoping a species I've not tried before (or a rare individual of that species) might make it. Of this batch I just got, 18 of the seeds sunk in water and two floated, so that's not too bad a start. If any of them grow I may offer a few to public Bay Area botanical gardens as 'legacy' donations.  :hmm:

• Like 1

Ben in Norcal
4 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Ben: That's been my experience as well, but I keep hoping a species I've not tried before (or a rare individual of that species) might make it. Of this batch I just got, 18 of the seeds sunk in water and two floated, so that's not too bad a start. If any of them grow I may offer a few to public Bay Area botanical gardens as 'legacy' donations.  :hmm:

I haven't found one worthwhile yet.  Even the ones that live are under duress 8 months of the year and constantly attacked by scale.

Hillizard
1 minute ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I haven't found one worthwhile yet.  Even the ones that live are under duress 8 months of the year and constantly attacked by scale.

Maybe the Arboretum in Golden Gate Park will be the only place they can succeed long-term. Have you tried to grow C. sasaimae before?

Ben in Norcal
Just now, Hillizard said:

Maybe the Arboretum in Golden Gate Park will be the only place they can succeed long-term. Have you tried to grow C. sasaimae before?

Nah, so many genus do well here, I've mostly moved on from this one...

I have the heat that SF lacks, so I will use that to my advantage as opposed to a detriment!

• Like 1

Hillizard
9 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Nah, so many genus do well here, I've mostly moved on from this one...

I have the heat that SF lacks, so I will use that to my advantage as opposed to a detriment!

Same where I live in terms of the heat. I already have so many cold-hardy palms, I'm trying to see what borderline species I can grow here with canopy protection from the summer sun and winter cold. My Kentiopsis oliviformis endured the winter outdoors in a 20-gal. pot with little protection. I have it planted now in the ground underneath a Brachychiton and it's putting out a new leaf and looks good... so far.  We'll see what it looks like in March 2020! :unsure:

Ben in Norcal
8 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Same where I live in terms of the heat. I already have so many cold-hardy palms, I'm trying to see what borderline species I can grow here with canopy protection from the summer sun and winter cold. My Kentiopsis oliviformis endured the winter outdoors in a 20-gal. pot with little protection. I have it planted now in the ground underneath a Brachychiton and it's putting out a new leaf and looks good... so far.  We'll see what it looks like in March 2020! :unsure:

Should be fine.  I've had 6 or 7 Kentiopsis in ground 5-6 years.  Slow as molasses but seem pretty hardy.

• Like 1

Hillizard
5 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Should be fine.  I've had 6 or 7 Kentiopsis in ground 5-6 years.  Slow as molasses but seem pretty hardy.

That's great to know! Yes, mine is a slow grower too, but at least leaves are large and last a long time. Are yours in full or partial sun? How tall are they?

Ben in Norcal
Just now, Hillizard said:

That's great to know! Yes, mine is a slow grower too, but at least leaves are large and last a long time. Are yours in full or partial sun? How tall are they?

Varied exposure, but all in some shade.  I don't think they could take full sun here.  No trunk on any of mine but new fronds all over head high.

• Like 1

Hillizard

Success! First visible sign of germination from my RPS C. sasaimae seeds. There may be others in this batch, but I'm not disturbing them at this time to check. In preparation for planting on 02.09.19, I soaked the seeds in water for two days (18 of the 20 sank), gave them a brief hydrogen peroxide bath and then pressed them 2/3s of the way into some commercial seedling medium (milled sphagnum moss +perlite). I then doused the semi-exposed, planted seeds with an anti-fungal copper treatment a few times. The plastic containers have been kept indoors (upper 70s F.). 

CeroxylonSasaimaeGermination092819.png

• Like 2

Hillizard

Here's what this same C. sasaimae seedling looks like today. At this time it's the only one that's germinated, although the other 17 seeds still appear intact. Amazes me how something that looks so vulnerable at this stage can survive and grow in the wild... in a tropical environment full of organisms that might see it as a bit of tasty salad!

CeroxylonSasaimaeOct2019.png

Hillizard

Update on what my most advanced C. sasaimae seedling looks like today next to a newer sprout. It got burned initially under one set of LED lights, so I moved it to a better LED lighting system next to a south-facing window. It's kept in a plastic bag for higher humidity.  I put 10 seeds in 3 separate containers and a couple have sprouted in each. They are kept indoors in the mid-to-upper 60s deg. F. (~ 18.33 C) and in a commercial seedling potting medium.

CeroxylonJan2020.png

• Like 3