IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Before and After

Chester B

I know people like before and afters.  I was looking through pictures and tried to recreate some of the older ones.

Before pictures were from April 25, 2018.

After pictures taken today August 1, 2019

15 months of growth.

Before 0.jpg

After 0.jpg

Before 1.jpg

After 1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

A couple random shots.  Thanks for looking!

yard 7.jpg

yard 1.jpg

Yard 2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Take note of pictures 9 and 10.  In picture 10 there is a big Eucalyptus behind the gate, in picture 9 it hadn't even reached the top of the fence.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Take note of pictures 9 and 10.  In picture 10 there is a big Eucalyptus behind the gate, in picture 9 it hadn't even reached the top of the fence.

Wow! It's beautiful. what species?

Eucalyptus perriniana.  I have a few other species as well - E. pauciflora "niphophila", E stellulata, E neglecta and E subcrenulata.

The neglecta is in photos 3&4.

E. perriniana and E. neglecta are very fast growing, E. "pauciflora" seems to be medium growth, and the other two species are very slow so far.

Most I grow from seed.

The perrinniana or "spinning gum" is coming up on its 3rd anniversary of its planting.  1' to over 20' in that time but 14' of that in the last 15 months and no sign of slowing down.

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

Great garden, impressive design!

What is that broad leaved plant in the 2/3rd-to-last pictures on the left bottom? I am eyeing a eucalyptus myself but currently I am torn between the neglecta or pauciflora.
:)

Schefflerra delayvii. I think this one is hard to find outside of Oregon and Washington. It will eventually grow into a large shrub or small tree. The leaves are huge. 

• Like 2

Nice jungle you have going there!

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

11 hours ago, Allen said:

Nice jungle you have going there!

Thanks, maybe a baby jungle right now.  :D Lots of plans for the next couple of years, which involves removing about 1/3 of the grass. and creating more meandering paths.  Although I have a bunch of bananas and some annual flowers the majority of the plants are evergreen.  I sit in my office looking at this for a good 9 hours a day so it's important to me to keep it interesting year round.  Hope everything keeps growing quickly.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words.  Still learning as I go.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:25 PM, Chester B said:

Schefflerra delayvii. I think this one is hard to find outside of Oregon and Washington. It will eventually grow into a large shrub or small tree. The leaves are huge. 

@Chester B you've got me looking everywhere for this plant. I see them online for anywhere from $17-$30 but I have no idea of their size or if its a good online source. I'm in 8a and would love one of these. 

9 hours ago, cbmnz said:

The bananas look great. You must not get a lot of wind there.

The backyard is getting more protected as things grow.  But it has been pretty quiet this year, no strong fronts blowing in from the interior.

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@Chester B lush garden you got growing !!! :greenthumb:

Thanks.  I think it has a lot do with the work I've done to improve the soil.  When I first started it was like concrete and year 1 everything struggled and looked terrible.

1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

@Chester B you've got me looking everywhere for this plant. I see them online for anywhere from $17-$30 but I have no idea of their size or if its a good online source. I'm in 8a and would love one of these. 

That's sounds reasonable.  I usually see them for a minimum of $20 for a 4" liner.  It has grown very fast and everything I read is that they are hardier than Fatsia.  I planted it out just over a year ago and although it hasn't grown UP much it's over 5' across.  Big flush in the spring with constant summer growth that is a little slower.

Wonderful garden my friend a sight to behold for sure.! I love the placement of everything. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

• 1 month later...

Looks awesome.. I love before and afters..I was eyeing a spinning gum to try out in my climate.. is it hardier than gunnii?  Here is a pic of my gunnii silver drop.  It's getting a good size but doesn't get enough water.. I need to add more emitters at its base. No damage last winter at 8-9f. Sadly.. I plant stuff and dont realize how big they will get! And this tree is unfortunately starting to shade my yard.. I may remove it.. lol

20190914_153454.jpg

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw