IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just a little something I noticed

SilverDragon

I literally just screenshot this off of my buddy's Instagram story just now (please ignore the silly shark lol). I couldn't help but notice what looked like Washingtonias, but he is in SC near Myrtle Beach. Do Washies actually manage to get this big in Myrtle? I do see the dead trunk on the left, however...

Screenshot_20190730-233754.png

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

I’ve seen taller Washingtonia in southeastern North Carolina than those in the photo. 

Washies will grow until a cold front or some other natural event kills them off. 

• Like 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

He told me it's at Landmark Resort in Myrtle Beach. The buildings look like they provide some protection, but it's a bummer they are doomed nonetheless. I recall seeing a very sad, stunted Washy when I was in MB last year...but I also saw P canariensis that were fairly impressive. They handle the cold better I take it?

Edited by SilverDragon

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

When my palm addiction first began and I started looking out for palms when I traveled south, I saw a Washingtonia robusta with a full crown and skirt that was taller than the house it was at in Southeastern North Carolina. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 2

PalmTreeDude

Folk wven in the northern western tip of Mexico (across the border fron San Diego)  have said to me that Washies are coconut palms..... not kidding.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Just now, GottmitAlex said:

Folk wven in the northern western tip of Mexico (across the border fron San Diego)  have said to me that Washies are coconut palms..... not kidding.

What does that even mean??

1 hour ago, SilverDragon said:

What does that even mean??

That folks do not know the difference between palms.

Palms are palms , i guess....

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

6 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

That folks do not know the difference between palms.

Palms are palms , i guess....

That's kind of hilarious