IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Old Canary Island Date Palms in Live Oak, Florida

Steve in Florida

Those look WAY better there than any ever do in Orlando (except when first planted).  I don't think they every get really old like that here, come to think of it.

Don't these look the best in areas that have a cooler winter season? Could that be way these look so good for Florida? 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude

they always seem taller and more robust in northern florida Louisiana and coastal Georgia.. I also noticed the tallest Sabals are usually in northern-Cenetral florida too... 

Edited by Mr.SamuraiSword
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

they always seem taller and more robust in northern florida Louisiana and coastal Georgia.. I also noticed the tallest Sabals are usually in northern-Cenetral florida too... 

When I was in the West Palm Beach area, I noticed that a lot of the wild Sabal palmetto seemed a little shorter too compared to the ones in South Carolina. The coconut palms towered over them. But there were still some really tall ones, and they all seemed healthy regardless of size. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude

4 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

When I was in the West Palm Beach area, I noticed that a lot of the wild Sabal palmetto seemed a little shorter too compared to the ones in South Carolina. The coconut palms towered over them. But there were still some really tall ones, and they all seemed healthy regardless of size. 

There is a lot of very tall Sabal palmettos on the old beach area of Lake Okeechobee. Mainly on the eastern side of the lake from Okeechobee County to Canal Point in Palm Beach County. Also around Okeechobee City you can see a lot of very old ones. The taller ones are around the south side of city near the city limits. That was the .orginal beach area before the lake was diked. Now the lake is a mile from there. You just have to know where to look. They are way more impressive than the ones in South Carolina.

5 minutes ago, DavidLee said:

There is a lot of very tall Sabal palmettos on the old beach area of Lake Okeechobee. Mainly on the eastern side of the lake from Okeechobee County to Canal Point in Palm Beach County. Also around Okeechobee City you can see a lot of very old ones. The taller ones are around the south side of city near the city limits. That was the .orginal beach area before the lake was diked. Now the lake is a mile from there. You just have to know where to look. They are way more impressive than the ones in South Carolina.

I'm sure Florida has the tallest Sabal palmetto, but there are some absolutely huge ones growing wild in the Bluffton, S.C. area. Some near the tops of the pines. 

PalmTreeDude

Here’s a tall and pretty good looking one from my area in coastal NW Florida. 

3A74D601-30E3-466F-A054-899511CC6952.jpeg

Edited by Estlander
  • Like 6

I think those Canary Island Dates are impressive in those photos. We use to have one in Okeechobee like those. I think Texas Phoenix Palm decline killed it. It is sad news.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I'm sure Florida has the tallest Sabal palmetto, but there are some absolutely huge ones growing wild in the Bluffton, S.C. area. Some near the tops of the pines. 

I have seen some massive Sabal palmetto in the Bluffton/Hilton Head Island area. Not sure how they compare to the 90ft ones in the Everglades but I wouldn’t be surprised if they came close! 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

I can take photos of the Sabals around here. I don’t want to get off topic. I seen photos of really nice Sabals in Charleston. So probably Hilton Jead has some nice ones too.

6 minutes ago, DavidLee said:

I can take photos of the Sabals around here. I don’t want to get off topic. I seen photos of really nice Sabals in Charleston. So probably Hilton Jead has some nice ones too.

We’ll have to make a different thread for our Sabal palmetto discussion 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

@Steve in Florida What is the soil like in Live Oak? As far as I am aware, it seems like CIDPs don't prefer sandy soil and the stereotypical Florida heat + humidity. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

On 7/30/2019 at 7:41 PM, NC_Palms said:

@Steve in Florida What is the soil like in Live Oak? As far as I am aware, it seems like CIDPs don't prefer sandy soil and the stereotypical Florida heat + humidity. 

Vincent, in the area of those pics there is mostly clay coated sand down 1-2 feet with under 5% total clay and silt.  Below that, clay deposits make up 18-48% in the  various layers.

Edited by Steve in Florida

These all die in Houston. They can grow quite vigorously when young, but the ghost eventually gets them. Lots of young specimens around, but almost none of the size you shared. I think fusarium is the culprit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, necturus said:

These all die in Houston. They can grow quite vigorously when young, but the ghost eventually gets them. Lots of young specimens around, but almost none of the size you shared. I think fusarium is the culprit.

That is how I would describe the situation in Orlando with these.  A fair number get planted as somewhat large specimens, but they don't tend to last until really old age.

• 2 weeks later...