IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why Are There Silver Saw Palmetto?

PalmTreeDude

I was looking at Johnathan Dickinson State Park on Google Streetview because I wanted to know what a silver saw palmettos habitat was like (I have a bunch of seedlings). Then I noticed that there were green saw palmetto literally right next to silver saw palmetto. Why are there silver saw palmetto in the first place, was it a mutation? I know a lot of silver colored palms tend to come from drier areas (this looks like one), but why does this happen? Also, would the silver and green ones hybridize naturally, since they are the same species? 

Screenshot_20190728-193819_Maps.jpg

• Like 2

PalmTreeDude

@PalmTreeDude I can answer exactly one of those questions: yes, the silver and green can share pollen and produce viable offspring.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Jeremy, when this occurs, do they come out morphologically intermediate between the green and silver form, or as one or the other?

1 hour ago, palmsOrl said:

Jeremy, when this occurs, do they come out morphologically intermediate between the green and silver form, or as one or the other?

Good question.  I don't know offhand.  I'll take an educated guess based on this article's reference to intermediate forms that they come out intermediate: http://shell.cas.usf.edu/~essig/Florida's Wax Palm.pdf

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

The same question can be asked for Bismarckia and Chamaerops. The silver Chamaerops do however inhabit the higher slopes of the atlas mountains.

Regards Neil

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neil C said:

The same question can be asked for Bismarckia and Chamaerops. The silver Chamaerops do however inhabit the higher slopes of the atlas mountains.

Regards Neil

In the case of the silver variety of Serenoa repens, they mostly occur on the Atlantic coast of Florida.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

The silver saw palmetto are native to areas with a ton of salt spray. When you're driving through beach side of the Melbourne beach area the air is often literally hazy because of all the salt spray. Serenoa also grow right up on the dunes near the shoreline. The sliver wax helps prevent the leaves from burning from the salt spray.

• Like 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I once heard that the silver variety of Serenoa repens is caused by a recessive gene in some populations. The gene seems to be more prevalent along the Atlantic coast of Florida and in other isolated populations throughout its range.

Outside of Florida, there is a silver Serenoa population in inland Georgia somewhere. 

• Like 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

Sometimes they form an intermediate color, sort of a blueish green. 

The blue variety primarily grows on either beach sand dunes or on scrub dunes that parallel the east coast.  Come to think of it, I've never seen the blue ones grow anywhere else unless they are planted. 

Edited by Jimbean
  • Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

The silver form can have some offspring that are greenish, minty green or bluish but the best plants usually produce offspring with 95%+ very blue to silver offspring.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I was looking at Johnathan Dickinson State Park on Google Streetview because I wanted to know what a silver saw palmettos habitat was like (I have a bunch of seedlings). Then I noticed that there were green saw palmetto literally right next to silver saw palmetto. Why are there silver saw palmetto in the first place, was it a mutation? I know a lot of silver colored palms tend to come from drier areas (this looks like one), but why does this happen? Also, would the silver and green ones hybridize naturally, since they are the same species? 

Screenshot_20190728-193819_Maps.jpg

That parks my neighbor lol.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Epicuticular wax prevents desiccation. So salt + wind= desiccation. These have evolved a means of preventing that. 

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Here's a Google Maps image of blue saw palmettos on a conservation site just south of the Publix supermarket in Melbourne Beach, Florida.  The extra wax on the leaves seems genetic--silver palmettos planted inland tend to keep their silver color (Bok Tower Gardens is a good example).  

Google Maps blue saw palmettos A!A S of Publix-1.jpg

• Like 2

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

On 7/30/2019 at 2:17 PM, Brad Mondel said:

Epicuticular wax desiccation. So salt + wind= desiccation. These have evolved a means of preventing that. 

The wax also reflects a good part of the heating sun which leads to moisture losses via leaf transpiration.  These are in very sandy soils and are drought tolerant for sure.  I have 6 of the "blue silver" ones from coastal south carolina.  Green silver ones are planted around the skyway bridge area in tampa bay.  Waxy leaves function as anti dessicant as others have stated.  Even without salt, sun can dessicate palms in sandy soil.  Bismarckia for instance are great at limiting water losses by deflecting hot arizona sun, they are one of the tougher palms in hot and dry conditions along with brahea armata, phoenix dactylifera (silver green), and washingtonia filiferas(grey green) of course.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I’m trying to gather all this. So silver sp. is near the coast and salt. So someone like me who buys silver variety seed and it germinates will it still be a silver variety? Also will soft water help feel at home?

There are tons of silver ones miles inland away from the salt spray here in Volusia county. Most are on the sandy ridges near scrub oaks. Almost every clump on beachside is silver though.  

• Like 1

Here are a couple of pics of Silver / blues that I grew from seed.     The seeds were gathered west of Edgewater Florida , along

Cow creek rd , east of I-95 .    That's not too far from the coast , but is not on the barrier Islands .

I grew them in pots and then these in the pics were planted in Hardee County , on my place there . The location there is not on the Ridge .

It is on the west side , and is at about 85" elevation , and dead inland .  The soil there is as acidic as can be , in fact I often had PH readings of

4.6- 4.9 !!!    ( so acidic that when I planted coastal things like Spanish Bayonet , or Seagrape , they became  stunted and over time became sickly

reduced size plants and just barely survived , and some just died . )

Anyway , as you see , the Serenoas continued to have the parent plant color , although the local weather there , particularly in the summer was

very much more humid , and less windy , than near the coast , and the plants showed effects of that .

48437902906_c5eed5946c_c.jpgAMC at Hardee by Bill H, on Flickr

48438048092_9caa39e719_c.jpgGreenie at Hardee trl by Bill H, on Flickr

Greenie at Hardee trl by Bill H, on Flickr

48437902271_90f24d6516_c.jpgP6190010 by Bill H, on Flickr 

Sorry about the focus on the one pic . It is what it is.

Also there are some Silver / blue Serenoas growing along SR 44 on the east side of Eustis Florida , just as the Ridge begins to descend .   Very inland .

• Like 4