Sign in to follow this  
Xerarch

Franken Brahea Miracle!

Xerarch

So last year I got some Franken Brahea seeds (among other seeds) courtesy of Dooms Dave. In March 2018 I used the baggie germination method and the Chamaedorea radicalis came right up. The others didn’t, not surprising, some things take longer to germinate. 

In May/June of 2018 we moved into a different house and I took the bags and bottom-heating pad and got them set up in the basement of the new place. Well, life takes hold of you and we’re living out of boxes for weeks while getting things set up while still trying to work, take care of kids etc. and my bags full of palm seeds did not get adequate attention. Even within the bags, the soil dried out and I didn’t notice until they were all bone dry....bone dry. I’ve ruined seeds before by letting them dry up so I knew I had blown it. I’m too busy to mess with it so I left them and turned off the bottom heat.

Imagine my surprise when in July 2018 (that’s 16 months after placing them in the bag and probably nearly a year after they dried up) I see palm sprouts galore inside the bag, one even pierced the bag, the rest were bent over at the top of the sealed bag!

I can’t believe it, I’m lucky I noticed them, they could have died from lack of light, let alone water. They are all now safely potted up. Needless to say, after the miracle I quickly went and re-hydrated the remaining bags of seeds, who knows. Might get lucky again. 

7AA73792-36BA-4DF1-9DEE-4B864C23D9CD.thumb.jpeg.503614314a0fee1ed8b26ca24578159d.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Xerarch

And here, all in pots

5699152E-B6A6-4AB3-819F-BAE440CE0E89.thumb.jpeg.9d8c3f668376634fa605c1ad72bb1cda.jpeg

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Coccothrinax scoparia is native to hills in Hispaniola - Haiti & Dominican Republic - where it grows to 36' tall in calcareous soil. Its leaves are a deep, dark green on top, glistening silver beneath. Although most Coccothrinax spp have yellow or gold hastulas, the hastula of scoparia leaves is green. I grew my mother from seeds I obtained over 10 years ago. It is now one of the tallest Coccothrinax in my Caribbean Garden and one of the best looking and fastest growing I have. It is totally hardy in zone 10a and maybe in microclimates of 9b. It is not fussy about soil, is drought tolerant once established but grows faster with regular water. See summary below:
      Coccothrinax scoparia seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot        100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping: $5.00 in padded envelope          No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      See photos below:

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I have a pair of Cycas thouarsii which I pollinated with pollen from some of my male Cycas thouarsii back in late 2018.  I am curious how long it takes for the seeds to mature and if they should fall off the plant when they are "ripe".  The photos below are just about 15 months apart with the early photos taken of the plants and seeds in November 2018 and the other shots current from February 2020.  I know it is easy to determine when to harvest seeds from Encephalartos as the cones starts to fall apart.  What is the best indication for Cycas thouarsii and any input on how long that takes?  I assume there also could be a little variation in how long it takes based on climate (faster in habitat and slower in my cooler climate).

• Palms Brisbane
      By Palms Brisbane
      Question about Bismarkia seeds.
      I recently bought 200 fresh fruits. I removed the fruit and scrubbed the seeds. 190 were fine and sunk in bucket of water. The question I have 10 seeds have odd nodules on them... is this bugs? Just seed secreting? should i bin them? Any help is appreciated.

• subsonicdrone
      By subsonicdrone
      well as you can see by my wall of germination attempts (some are other plants)

i have made many attempts and so far no sprouts (palm) until now!

6 little roots with a couple more looking like they may sprout also

should i pot these up in 1 gal now or wait a bit longer
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I have around 50 Eucalyptus dalrympleana seeds that I had in the fridge cold stratifying for at least eight weeks now (maybe longer, I forgot exactly) in a damp paper towel. The seeds are super tiny. I was going to germinate these in a little closed container just on top of some moist soil. I heard they can germinate fine at tempatures around 65°F. Does anyone have any advice about germating these? I never germinated Eucalyptus seeds before.