PlantDad

Palms That Are Hardy To Oregon

Fallen Munk
7 hours ago, PlantDad said:

Yeah you have lived here a lot longer than I have. Was 2009 the coldest year you have seen?

Probably not, but I think it's the most recent I can remember offhand.  I remember 1988 was pretty severe with ice and snow.  The thing that is weird with memory is that people tend to remember all of the bad ice and snow events, but those are typically not what kills plants up here.  It's the clear cold nights with no wind where we see single digits that cause a hard freeze that doesn't thaw during the day.  Typically we'll see about a week of that once we get into a pattern of it.  Sometimes longer.  

• Upvote 2

PlantDad
10 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

Probably not, but I think it's the most recent I can remember offhand.  I remember 1988 was pretty severe with ice and snow.  The thing that is weird with memory is that people tend to remember all of the bad ice and snow events, but those are typically not what kills plants up here.  It's the clear cold nights with no wind where we see single digits that cause a hard freeze that doesn't thaw during the day.  Typically we'll see about a week of that once we get into a pattern of it.  Sometimes longer.  

That's good to know. I didnt think about that. Those clear nights can be brutal

• Like 1