IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mystery Palm

ShadowNight030

I’m in New Orleans right now, and around Tremé and I saw a palm that I am not sure about, although i think it’s a mature majesty palm. But I’m just in shock as it’s so large. 

275C0211-69D2-4A72-8E8A-6D1F29EC8B47.jpeg

Edited by ShadowNight030
  • Like 6

Oh wow, what a find! Can't believe it was able to survive the 19F low in NOLA in January 2018. Gives me hope as I have two Majesties planted in my yard too. Both of mine were pretty burned the same winter, but quickly grew out of it. But my area didn't get that cold and the lowest low mine saw that winter was 23F. Tough palms!

Edited by Estlander

A palm like that down here would survive the cold but not the electricity Co.  :-(

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I actually love the way the palm looks.  Extremely weathered but with a full crown of healthy fronds.  This palm must get plenty of water and nutrients.

I have also found some more interesting things in New Orleans at the Audubon Zoo. I found a few bismarck palms and a beaucarnea recurvata 

994D945B-EDBE-4B82-A9B5-28BAF6698291.jpeg

A40EB31B-6905-4D11-A433-98BC1257AF34.jpeg

• Like 6

The last palm I found interesting in New Orleans was this Caryota palm. It was also at the zoo. However I thought that these were 9b palms 

47EEBA05-1FE8-4C90-B091-F55EF921A945.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Very cool to see a large Caryota Gigas i believe C.Urens is more cold hardy but not as nice looking imo 

T J 

1 hour ago, ShadowNight030 said:

However I thought that these were 9b palms 

NOLA is 9b, being on the south side of a large lake + heat island certainly helps

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

1 minute ago, Xenon said:

NOLA is 9b, being on the south side of a large lake + heat island certainly helps

Yes, but In 2018 the area hit 19-20 degrees F, so the palm survived those temperatures 

• Like 2

This is a great find.  Gives me lots of hope for my majesty palms.  I am in a 9B area of Florida which is probably warmer than NOLA most winters but this really shows what this palm is capable of. 

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

17 hours ago, Xenon said:

Have you seen any C.Gigas in our area i cant mber if moody gardens had one or not. Definitely 1 of my fav palms. 

T J 

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Have you seen any C.Gigas in our area i cant mber if moody gardens had one or not. Definitely 1 of my fav palms. 

The zoo had a Caryota sp. a few years back, wonder how it's doing...Didn't see any at Moody 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Saw a lot of Sweet Alocasias and Colocasias in Nola when I was there ! They love that humidity.   Elephant ears grow great down there. 

I found this last palm also at the zoo. I know it’s a date palm, but I’m not sure what kind. It’s beautiful

0E775F13-F775-4016-A69A-077862C73C5B.png

Edited by ShadowNight030

1 hour ago, ShadowNight030 said:

I found this last palm also at the zoo. I know it’s a date palm, but I’m not sure what kind. It’s beautiful

0E775F13-F775-4016-A69A-077862C73C5B.png

That’s a Pygmy Date Palm (Phoenix Roebelennii)

• 3 weeks later...

I was taking a stroll around my new neighborhood and stumbled across this one. It has to have been here for the 2018 freeze. You can’t find them anywhere near that big here for sale. I’ve tried. 

D2A1DB9F-9CB7-4B0A-9640-6AF7EF7729F8.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 9:40 AM, Jeff985 said:

I was taking a stroll around my new neighborhood and stumbled across this one. It has to have been here for the 2018 freeze. You can’t find them anywhere near that big here for sale. I’ve tried. 

Surprisingly I found some with 4 feet of trunk for sale in Lafayette. I’ve also tried in Nola with no luck. Just the normal small ones at Lowe’s or some place like that. 

• 3 years later...
On 8/21/2019 at 9:40 AM, Jeff985 said:

There are some nurseries between Belle Chase and Venice that sell giant ones. I remember seeing them about a year ago. And HUGE ones around people's houses. If you want to take a little drive they probably still have them around