Sign in to follow this  
yezishu

How to cope with these brown spots and tips

yezishu

Hi all. below I've included picture of these brown spots and tips that have been appearing on my Phoenix roebelenii. I've been trying to water it at proper intervals and it gets adequate sun, but there are these brown spots appearing on the leaves and tips. I'm sure this question has been asked many many times but I figured you experts are the best place to go for information how to combat this. Are there any fertilizers I should be using perhaps. Thanks in advance for the responses

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 9.23.55 PM.png

Allen

Old or newer fronds?

Rickybobby

One of mine has done that a little like yours. I wouldn’t be too worried at the moment 

Reeverse

Looks like signs of Potassium deficiency to me. Just get a good controlled release fert and you never have the issue. 

Merlyn2220

My notes on Potassium deficiency are:  "Older fronds get translucent yellow/orange or dead spots on leaves, especially at the tips. Sometimes tips are curled or frizzled.  Always starts at tips of oldest leaves, moving inwards"

This looks pretty much like what you are seeing.  If it's a palm in a pot I'd use some Nutricote or Osmocote.  If it's in the ground any "Palm Special" type of controlled-release fertilizer is fine.

A Boron deficiency would show up as distorted or bent leaf tips or spear when the new palm frond is growing or opening.  Dying or twisting leaf tips on older fronds is usually a fertilizer or water issue.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• yezishu
      By yezishu
      Hi there. I've lived in Chicago my whole life, but i've loved palm trees for as long as I can remember. Obviously they don't just grow outside anywhere near Chicago, so pretty much the only time I'm able to see them is either in a greenhouse, or when I go on vacation.  For the past few months I've been considering getting a palm tree of my own, but I have a few questions/concerns since this would be pretty much my first time seriously caring for a plant. As of right now, I'm pretty sure I wan't to go with a Pygmy Date Palm tree, but I'm curious if that's a good choice. I love the way they look but if it's going to be a considerably difficult plant to care for it's probably not a great Idea. I'm also curious about it generally being "far from home" so to speak. I could easily keep it outside in the summer, but in the winter it would surely die, so i'd have to keep it indoors during colder months. the natural place in my opinion would be my bedroom (with a west facing window although I'm not sure if that really matters), but would that give it sufficient light? Finally, the size of the tree. Since i would have to move the entire plant at least 2 times a year, I would be keeping it in a pot, and it couldn't be a very tall plat. I was thinking i would get one roughly 2-3 feet tall, but I'm curious as to how fast the tree will grow. After all if it eventually grows to be 7 feet tall it wont matter what size I purchase. Anyways, I apologize if I missed some kind of etiquette as I'm pretty new to this forum, and thanks you in advanced for your replies.

Also if you have any images of pygmy date palms indoors, or in plants, or etc. , Please feel free to share them!
    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      I noticed these interesting roots, after some of the leaf bases came off this Phoenix roebelenii.  I had been using the leaf bases to hang "S" hooks to hold up both tillandsia and orchids.  I know that the trunk and leaf bases got a little extra water and fertilizer which could have stimulated the root growth this far up.  I also had a large pile of dirt up against the trunk of this plant about 5 years ago for at least a couple of months when remodeling the house.  It was originally planted by the previous home owners and had multiple trunks from a clump planting.  I eliminated all the other trunks shortly after finishing the remodel to make room for other things adjacent to it.  Anyone seen roots come out this far up the trunk of a P roebelenii before?

• Eric in Orlando
      By Eric in Orlando
      These Phoenix palms are growing at the front of a large wholesale nursery just east of Eustis, FL (about 34 miles NW of Orlando). There are planted with some  Phoenix roebelenii specimens. These hybrids most likely have P. roebelenii as a parent but not sure what else is crossed in. The P. roebelenii have some cold damage from this past Jan ,they probably had 26-27F in that area. But these hybrids had no damage. They are great specimens.

• Kris
      By Kris
      Dear Friends,
      I welcome you all to another palm re-potting work,This time the palm is Phoenix Roebelenii palm this one had come to me from Bro.M@x,Italy few years back.And this palm's leaf is not soft but is little rigid and tempered to be a true form.i.e could be a Hybrid Pygmy palm.Only on planting in the ground one could be sure as it puts its trunk.Since this palm was growing in a mineral water bottle for quite sometime thought i should give this palm a new pot for it to grow freely.
      For those who want to see how this palm looks when its big,here's a link given below for you to see those lovely visuals...there you can also see few fine hybrids of this variety.
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Phoenix_roebelenii
      And for those interested in these seeds and want to know how to germinate this palm,Here is the link :
      http://rarepalmseeds.com/pix/PhoRoe.shtml
      From the following post you will have visuals of that re-potting work,And the climate here is very pleasant for all palm related maintenance work. 
      Love,
      Kris.

• john_tas
      By john_tas
      Yesterday I came across a pair of phoenix roebelenii growing unprotected in an exposed 9a climate position, in the last few years they must have experienced multiple frosts below -3degC(26f)
      this weather station is close by and very similar in terms of location and climate 
      http://www.eldersweather.com.au/climate.jsp?lt=site&lc=91237
      Strange as I always thought this Palm to be much more tender say to -2degC minimum. Even weirder considering it come from Laos in the tropics and lives near river banks. Might be a hybrid but sure looks true to form, I killed one once at about -2degC
      Coates Hire Launceston
      15 Hope St, Invermay TAS 7250
      (03) 6335 7100
      https://goo.gl/maps/QuewrD9jFbk
      can be seen on street view map