Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Sabal minor Seed Question

PalmTreeDude

Since I'm at the beach, there are a ton of Sabal minor around and they are absolutely loaded with unripe seed. If I were to take off one of the stalks from the base, do you think the seed would ripen all of the way, or is it too early to be doing that? 

20190721_205657.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

20190721_205753.jpg

TexasColdHardyPalms

You need to wait.  That seed won't be ready until Halloween.

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Agree. Seeds picked while unripe will not mature. Around here Sabal seeds start ripening late Oct. on. Fruit is black when ripe.

NC_Palms

I agree with everyone. Sabal minor doesn't ripen here until late October/early November.

SEVA

The fruits on my Sabal minor palms are beginning to ripen.  They could be ripening in VB now as well, but I'm not sure.

1004190913.jpg

1004190911.jpg

NC_Palms
1 hour ago, SEVA said:

The fruits on my Sabal minor palms are beginning to ripen.  They could be ripening in VB now as well, but I'm not sure.

1004190913.jpg

1004190911.jpg

The Sabal palmetto and S. minor look like that here too. Some of the dark fruit have been falling off the trees, which I have been collecting.  

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

Nice! I can't wait for mine to seed some day, but they still have strap leaves... They are bigger strap leaves though!