Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Sabal minor Seed Question

PalmTreeDude

Since I'm at the beach, there are a ton of Sabal minor around and they are absolutely loaded with unripe seed. If I were to take off one of the stalks from the base, do you think the seed would ripen all of the way, or is it too early to be doing that? 

20190721_205657.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

20190721_205753.jpg

TexasColdHardyPalms

You need to wait.  That seed won't be ready until Halloween.

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Agree. Seeds picked while unripe will not mature. Around here Sabal seeds start ripening late Oct. on. Fruit is black when ripe.

NC_Palms

I agree with everyone. Sabal minor doesn't ripen here until late October/early November.

SEVA

The fruits on my Sabal minor palms are beginning to ripen.  They could be ripening in VB now as well, but I'm not sure.

1004190913.jpg

1004190911.jpg

NC_Palms
1 hour ago, SEVA said:

The fruits on my Sabal minor palms are beginning to ripen.  They could be ripening in VB now as well, but I'm not sure.

1004190913.jpg

1004190911.jpg

The Sabal palmetto and S. minor look like that here too. Some of the dark fruit have been falling off the trees, which I have been collecting.  

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

Nice! I can't wait for mine to seed some day, but they still have strap leaves... They are bigger strap leaves though! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I collect rare specimens of the variable Sabal minor, esp. those that are dwarfs or uber dwarfs. I got many of those from Plant Delights Nursery, which offers Sabal palms sporadically, sometimes as one-off sales. When they have one I want, I know to order quickly because it may never be offered again. Such is the case for two different Sabal minors I pounced upon nearly two years ago and haven't seen since. I have them in my garden lot where they have gone pinnate. Today I took photos of them. They are quite distinct.
      Sabal minor 'Welfare', Texas aka the "Poor Scrub" palmetto
      This palm occurs as a population in grasslands near the ghost town of Welfare in Kendall County, TX. Some plants will grow trunks up to 8' tall. The juvenile I have is approx. 2' tall x 2' wide. Check out the link to PDN below:
      https://www.plantdelights.com/products/sabal-minor-welfare

Sabal minor 'High Springs', FL
      This dwarf Sabal minor comes from the town of High Springs in Alachua County, FL. It is distinctive for being very short, 2' tall, and wide, 4' wide. Leaf pinnae are notably narrow. Flower stalks reach 7' tall.
      See link to PDN catalog below:
      https://www.plantdelights.com/products/sabal-minor-high-springs

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Coccothrinax scoparia is native to hills in Hispaniola - Haiti & Dominican Republic - where it grows to 36' tall in calcareous soil. Its leaves are a deep, dark green on top, glistening silver beneath. Although most Coccothrinax spp have yellow or gold hastulas, the hastula of scoparia leaves is green. I grew my mother from seeds I obtained over 10 years ago. It is now one of the tallest Coccothrinax in my Caribbean Garden and one of the best looking and fastest growing I have. It is totally hardy in zone 10a and maybe in microclimates of 9b. It is not fussy about soil, is drought tolerant once established but grows faster with regular water. See summary below:
      Coccothrinax scoparia seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot        100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping: $5.00 in padded envelope          No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      See photos below:

• The Steve
      By The Steve
      I’ve been growing these up for a few years now, and I was wondering how much longer before I can start to spot the true lisas.  I’m thinking that I’ll need to pot them up to one gallons.  Thoughts?
    • Tracy
      By Tracy
      I have a pair of Cycas thouarsii which I pollinated with pollen from some of my male Cycas thouarsii back in late 2018.  I am curious how long it takes for the seeds to mature and if they should fall off the plant when they are "ripe".  The photos below are just about 15 months apart with the early photos taken of the plants and seeds in November 2018 and the other shots current from February 2020.  I know it is easy to determine when to harvest seeds from Encephalartos as the cones starts to fall apart.  What is the best indication for Cycas thouarsii and any input on how long that takes?  I assume there also could be a little variation in how long it takes based on climate (faster in habitat and slower in my cooler climate).

• Palms Brisbane
      By Palms Brisbane
      Question about Bismarkia seeds.
      I recently bought 200 fresh fruits. I removed the fruit and scrubbed the seeds. 190 were fine and sunk in bucket of water. The question I have 10 seeds have odd nodules on them... is this bugs? Just seed secreting? should i bin them? Any help is appreciated.