Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Sabal minor Seed Question

PalmTreeDude

Since I'm at the beach, there are a ton of Sabal minor around and they are absolutely loaded with unripe seed. If I were to take off one of the stalks from the base, do you think the seed would ripen all of the way, or is it too early to be doing that? 

20190721_205657.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

20190721_205753.jpg

TexasColdHardyPalms

You need to wait.  That seed won't be ready until Halloween.

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Agree. Seeds picked while unripe will not mature. Around here Sabal seeds start ripening late Oct. on. Fruit is black when ripe.

NC_Palms

I agree with everyone. Sabal minor doesn't ripen here until late October/early November.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• limoncik
      By limoncik
      Tell me how hardy Sabal Blackburn? There is very little information about him. Which one of you is growing?

• NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      By NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      I potted these sabals about a month ago and they don't seem to be doing too well. I ordered all three of them online from a palm nursery in Florida and they did arrive with a few wilting/discolored fronds. What worries me is that there has been little to no improvement in their condition since. I water them once every 1-2 days, make sure they get plenty of sun, and I potted them in well draining, palm specific soil. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but any tips would be greatly appreciated. (BTW: I plan to overwinter them inside in pots and then plant them in the ground next spring if they're still alive)
      Here's a few pictures of them:

• cm05
      By cm05
      New York City is a high end zone 7b, cold hardy palms are very rare, but they’re there if you know where to look. Tropical palms, however, are all over the place during the warmer months.
      Sabal minor growing out in the open in Tompkins Square Park in Manhattan:

It’s flowering, hopefully it seeds so I can grab them all lol, anyone want a Manhattan Minor?

• NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      By NC_Palm_Enthusiast
      I just potted some sabal minor "Louisiana" seedlings I purchased online from a palm nursery in Florida. I've done some research on this variety and my plan is to overwinter them inside and then plant them in the ground next May. If any of you have had any experience with this specific palm in I would appreciate some advice/tips. Thanks
      Here's a picture of them: