IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When to repot seedlings?

bar

Hello.  I have some one and two year old seedlings growing in tall thin pots (2" X 7").  They have been in the same  pots since they sprouted and were potted up out of community flats.  They have not outgrown the pots, but it seems to me that the soil could use replenishing.  Is it better to replace the soil and risk some root damage, or is it better to simply wait until the plants are a bit bigger?

Thanks

Bruce

Hi Bruce,  this is probably not going to be your best answer, but...

Even without knowing which palms they are or seeing a pic of them, I would think that it probably won't matter much what you do. I have not found the timing to be critical.

As long as the mix has not collapsed too much and staying soggy at the bottom.   (And it is amazing how long some of my seedlings have even tolerated that.)

Growing conditions here are very mild/good. And I am a very lazy gardener, so my experiences may not apply to you.

I have grown dozens of different types of palm seeds to give away size and I tend to get very similar results irrespective of the regime that I put them through.

Could you do a 50/50 experiment and later let us know how they went?

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I learned the hard way having a lot of seedlings that if I rush to pot them up. Even if they didn’t need it. I run out of space inside on tables or even outside. I’ve been trying to keep them growing as long as possible in there little cups/pots. I guess it depends on what your doing to do with them. 

They are for outside.  Either eventually selling, or donating them to the future Sacramento Botanical Garden when we are finally up and running, which will probably be about five years or so.

Bruce

I prefer to 'under-pot', mostly due to limited space.

My theory is that soil condition is less of an issue the smaller the pot you start out with. Small pots and liners you can simply flush through and not worry about 'wet feet'.

20190723_194118.thumb.jpg.aedfeffdd02e092acfed228fb6e2f55a.jpg

Areca catechu - 14 months old

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John in Andalucia said:

I prefer to 'under-pot', mostly due to limited space.

My theory is that soil condition is less of an issue the smaller the pot you start out with. Small pots and liners you can simply flush through and not worry about 'wet feet'.

20190723_194118.thumb.jpg.aedfeffdd02e092acfed228fb6e2f55a.jpg

Areca catechu - 14 months old

I agree and am doing the same as you. A lot harder to get root rot in that situation