Sign in to follow this  
PalmatierMeg

Palms in Raleigh Durham Int'l Airport

PalmatierMeg

I recently returned home after 2 weeks in Raleigh, NC visiting family. On my flight home, I spent hours inside Raleigh Durham International Airport (RDU) because my flight was delayed (I finally made it to FL at 2:30 a.m. the following morning). After surviving the TSA security checkpoint I was greeted by the sight of a potted group of very s-t-r-e-t-h-e-d out Adonidia merrillii (or Ptchosperma elegans?) that looked to be 15-20' tall. I had trouble deciding because they appeared distorted. A bit sad, really, that they will never know the summer heat, sun, humidity and rainfall just beyond the plate glass windows. Then again, they won't croak during winter freezes, cloudy skies and Raleigh's infamous ice storms. I called up the camera on my phone and took the following photos.

Adonidias_in_RDU_01_07-19-19.thumb.JPG.28491f76344b932517cce02a64c41db2.JPGAdonidias_at_RDU_04_07-19-19.thumb.JPG.8a7fae90e1e79f3304e1314d91b9470c.JPGAdonidias_at_RDU_03_07-19-19.thumb.JPG.0d153dbddc19033c020a001f47e5bbda.JPGAdonidias_at_RDU_02_07-19-19.thumb.JPG.2e68771b6fb70a1fb179e489c5a24584.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

RedRabbit

Not 100% sure what they are, but I’ve been wondering because we’ve got them in the lobby of by office building too. Thinking p elegans probably.

• Like 2

The Gerg
6 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I recently returned home after 2 weeks in Raleigh, NC visiting family. On my flight home, I spent hours inside Raleigh Durham International Airport (RDU) because my flight was delayed (I finally made it to FL at 2:30 a.m. the following morning). After surviving the TSA security checkpoint I was greeted by the sight of a potted group of very s-t-r-e-t-h-e-d out Adonidia merrillii (or Ptchosperma elegans?) that looked to be 15-20' tall. I had trouble deciding because they appeared distorted. A bit sad, really, that they will never know the summer heat, sun, humidity and rainfall just beyond the plate glass windows. Then again, they won't croak during winter freezes, cloudy skies and Raleigh's infamous ice storms. I called up the camera on my phone and took the following photos.

Adonidias_in_RDU_01_07-19-19.thumb.JPG.28491f76344b932517cce02a64c41db2.JPGAdonidias_at_RDU_04_07-19-19.thumb.JPG.8a7fae90e1e79f3304e1314d91b9470c.JPGAdonidias_at_RDU_03_07-19-19.thumb.JPG.0d153dbddc19033c020a001f47e5bbda.JPGAdonidias_at_RDU_02_07-19-19.thumb.JPG.2e68771b6fb70a1fb179e489c5a24584.JPG

I’m impressed with the high quality and resolution of these pics from your phone. Especially the last two. 

The Silent Seed

Nice to see the Stromanthe too! One of my favorites. 

NOT A TA

Doesn't look like Adonidia to me, even shade grown. Looks like P elegans to me but I don't have as much experience with those.

Long ago I worked as a designer/estimator for big commercial landscape companies up North who had contracts for both interior and exterior maintenance for a lot of fortune 500 type companies in the Fairfield county area of CT. I only did designs for exterior but wrote contracts for interior and exterior construction/maintenance with cost guidance for the interior plantscape stuff from the interior experts. In some places the interior plants were cycled in and out of certain places in buildings or back to green house areas while remaining in the large planters and the cost was just factored into the yearly contracts. So just because a particular type of plant is placed in a interior environment that doesn't look suitable for sustained health doesn't prevent one from being there. Only a "plant person" who routinely saw the same planter would notice if it was switched with another that had the same plant species. Easiest way to tell is if you can see marks on the floor that don't line up exactly with the planter/pot. But sometimes the floors are polished out when the planter is temporarily removed, and these things are usually done outside of normal business hours so you don't have fork lifts driving around in the lobby of the business during regular hours.

• Like 2

GottmitAlex

These palms look like the mystery palms in the Hillsdale, shopping center in San Mateo, CA.

(2nd picture in first post)

• Like 1

HtownPalms

Cool looking little palms even if they are skinny.

Cevven

I'm not exactly sure if they are the same ones (I live in Raleigh and been to the airport here numerous times, just been a while since I actually been inside the Airport). I remember in 2008 (when this terminal was under construction to replace the old one), I had an assignment with a temp agency and we installed some palm trees near the TSA check-in. 

kinzyjr
18 hours ago, Cevven said:

I'm not exactly sure if they are the same ones (I live in Raleigh and been to the airport here numerous times, just been a while since I actually been inside the Airport). I remember in 2008 (when this terminal was under construction to replace the old one), I had an assignment with a temp agency and we installed some palm trees near the TSA check-in. 

Thanks for sharing that and welcome to the forums!

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Dimimelbourne
      By Dimimelbourne
      Hey all! Hope you’re well.
      I recently acquired this beautiful young palm from a nursery. They saw that it was declining in their care and so they palmed it off to me ;-) 
      They weren’t sure what it was but said it was likely a ptychosperma elegans or a cyphophoenix elegans and I’m curious to see what you think it is.
      I’m also curious about the yellow and brown blotches on its leaves. It came from a tropical climate (FNQ) to a temperate one (Melbourne) in our spring which has been quite cold lately… could it be from that? It’s now started getting warm here so will it heal up ok with proper care?
       I am moving to a tropical climate in 6 weeks so I just need it to hang on until then really…
      thanks in advance 

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have 4 Golden Adonidia merrilliis planted  in my back yard jungle and a couple small ones in pots on the lanai. This mutation of the standard green Adonidia has yellow-green leaves, bright yellow crownshaft, petiole and rachis. It also produces new leaves that are bright yellow before changing to yellowish green. The golden mutation results in compromised chlorophyll and is not at all beneficial to the palm. As a result golden Adonidias have difficulty photosynthesizing and are more fragile, vulnerable and slower growing than normal. They are also prone to sun damage so I keep mine in mostly shade. Growth that green Adonidias produce in a season can take years for a golden Adonidia to accomplish. The survival rate for young Goldens is far lower. I was having trouble getting several of mine to grow in pots, so several years ago I decided to let them take their chances in the ground. They have been much happier and have grown happily at their reduced rate. This spring I bought a trunking golden Adonidia in Naples from Jeff Searle before he retired. I had it in the ground within 24 hours. Today I noticed my two smallest young palms were throwing bright yellow new leaves. You may think they look sickly but they are healthy and happy in their shady oasis.
      Small Golden Adonidia merrillii - new yellow leaves

Medium Golden Adonidia merrillii

Trunking Golden Adonidia merrillii with new yellow spear

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have small seedlings of the following species for sale:
      Archonotophoenix alexandrae                  https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Archontophoenix_alexandrae
      Dypsis pembana                                        https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_pembana
      Ptychosperma elegans                              https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Ptychosperma_elegans
      See details below:
      Cost per Seedling: $0.25 each. Mixing/matching OK                             Minimum Order: $10.00 + shipping
      Shipping = $10.00  for up to 150 seedlings via Priority Mail. No shipping overseas. No shipping to HI
      PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seeds you wish to purchase and give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. I will PM back a quote. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos
      Archonotophoenix alexandrae

Dypsis pembana

Ptychosperma elegans

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have Adonidia merrillii - Christmas palm - coming up in the yard. I missed cutting down inflorescences last year and my 5 Adonidia dumped seeds all over the place. Now I have Adonidia seedlings popping up. Next to the coconut this is probably the most desired palm outside of FL. Why bother with seeds when you can jump directly to seedlings? If you've ever wanted to try this tropical cutie, now is your chance. Load up so you have lots of spares to share. They grow like weeds here and if these guys don't find loving homes, they hit the compost pile. See info on Palmpedia:
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Adonidia_merrillii
      Adonidia merrillii seedlings: $1.00 each                           Minimum Order: $10.00 + shipping
      Shipping = $10.00 for up to 50     via Priority Mail. Roots wrapped in damp orchid moss, clear wrap and foil
      For higher quantities, ask for a shipping quote. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      PM me if you are interested. Tell me how many seeds you wish to purchase and give me your name/address to copy/paste on a mailing label. I will PM back a quote. When you pay, tell me.
      NOTE: Please give me 24 hours to respond. After 24 hours, send me a civil reminder.
      Photos
      Seedlings

Mother Palms

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      I have 4 community pots of seedlings left that I haven't split into singles.  The number of seedlings in the containers is 20, 14, 13 and 12 respectively.  If they do not sell, I'll just split them into singles as was done with their brethren.  The price I would like is $15 for 1 container, $20 for 2 containers, and $30 for all four.  Containers shipped with the largest container(s) going to the first to respond.  Shipping is included in the price. 
      If you order, they will arrive exactly how you see them in the photo with the appropriate amount of extra labels in case you would like to separate them.  The labels will have a record of the species, the date the seeds were harvested, the date they were sowed, and the location where the seeds were collected.
      The parent palm is locally grown and has been through a few dips into the upper 20s in a good microclimate.  It handled Jan. 2018 very well (28F, 15MPH wind, below freezing for ~10 hours).
      Payment can be made through PayPal.  If you are local or willing to drive, contactless pickup is available.  PM if interested.