IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Where to buy palms in the Mid-Atlantic?

AAMac

I've been looking for a Kentia Palm for sometime now, but all the nurseries in my area only seem to stock Majesty, and occasionally Areca, or Bamboo palm. Most people seem to agree that Kentia and Parlor Palm are the best houseplants, but I can't seem to find either of them for sale anywhere in my area. It seems people would rather buy a cheap Majesty palm, even though its chances of survival when grown indoors aren't that great. I understand that Kentia and Chamaedorea Elegans are slower growing, and thus more expensive, but I'd be happy to pay more for a palm actually suited to being a houseplant. Does anyone know of a nursery or other retailer in the Mid-Atlantic that actually stocks a decent selection of palms? I'm in Baltimore, but would be willing to drive a ways to find what I am looking for. Thanks for your help.

Manhattan’s “Flower District” (West 28th Street) is the only place I’ve seen them, and they were large and expensive.

I bought some seedlings off of Amazon a couple of years ago, I just checked and they’re still available.

local I don't know.  Ebay or Jungle music palms mail order?  Expensive to ship to you.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

51 minutes ago, Allen said:

local I don't know.  Ebay or Jungle music palms mail order?  Expensive to ship to you.

Jungle Music usually has an assortment of Kentia with the 5g being the right price to ship. Prolly can get it for 65$ for the plant and another 65$ for shipment just guessing tho. Kentia are great indoor palms very slow so no worries in out growing your space. 

T J 

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely look into Jungle Music.  Still, if anyone sees this, and knows of a good local nursery for houseplants, please pass the information along.  Thanks again all.