Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

What Are Some Good Fruiting Banana Varieties?

PalmTreeDude

Does anyone know of any good fruiting banana varieties? I am wanting to start some banana seeds in the fall and grow them indoors to a nice size and then plant them outdoors the next Spring with the hopes that they will get big enough to produce some bananas later in the summer. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

gilles06

Fruiting bananas don't have seeds...

You need to start from puping.

Salut ;)

Cikas
7 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Does anyone know of any good fruiting banana varieties? I am wanting to start some banana seeds in the fall and grow them indoors to a nice size and then plant them outdoors the next Spring with the hopes that they will get big enough to produce some bananas later in the summer. 

You will not get edible bananas from seeds. You need to buy pups. Edible bananas do not have seeds in fruits. 

Johnk9

Mysore is one of the best for taste

kinzyjr

My personal favorite is Ice Cream banana.  

NorCalKing

I grow fruiting bananas out here. It's impossible to get fruit within one season in your climate (or mine). What people do in colder climates is dig them up in the fall, store indoors in garage/basement and replant in the spring. This is the ONLY way you'll have fruiting bananas.

Bananas dot org is the best site around for all the info you need.

Allen

Ice Cream will get big and 'possibly' overwinter in your area.

Hammer
11 hours ago, NorCalKing said:

I grow fruiting bananas out here. It's impossible to get fruit within one season in your climate (or mine). What people do in colder climates is dig them up in the fall, store indoors in garage/basement and replant in the spring. This is the ONLY way you'll have fruiting bananas.

Bananas dot org is the best site around for all the info you need.

Agree, that is an excellent site.