IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Adonidia Merrillii help needed

Beachpalm

I recently acquired this plant in Ft Myers, it is a single trunk at about 5 feet tall, drove it north 10 days ago.   It is located in the shade of a maple in a 15-20 gal planter.   I will be bringing this tree indoors in early October to a sun room with plant lights and fish tanks.  

Questions

How much sun should this plant get at this stage? It is VERY HOT lately I believe it was getting sunburned before the move to the shade.

I know this is a self cleaning palm, I decided to prune the bottom frond it was completely brown, yesterday I pulled of the dead wrapping around the trunk from a much older frond as well the one I pruned, I notice the trunk has a split in it showing new growth.  Did I damage the tree by taking these off too soon? I did notice a lot of trapped moisture and a couple bugs inside the wrap.

Lastly,  I also have a brown streak that is not raised but smooth on the spine of one frond, it is also the lowest frond and the next to die off naturally.  Is this a concern?

Fortunately I saw new growth in the crown frond this morning.

20190719_075907.jpg

20190719_075817.jpg

Ouch. Gotta be careful with crownshafted palms. Each layer is part of its structure. If you cut one dead frond off. I would only remove that layer of the crown. Sometimes we want our palms to look there best but need to let nature do its thing. 

• Like 1

@Beachpalm Welcome to Palm Talk!  I had a few seedlings of these get sunburned recently because I put them out in full sun too soon.  Gradually acclimate it to full sun.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Also this split was already underneath the sleeve of the old frond.  It did not split as a result of me peeling it.  The layer was entirely brown and was easily broken off

Someone else will have to help you with the bulge and the streaking.  It may be a fungal infection, but I'm no expert in that area.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I grow the A. merrilli potted in upstate N.Y.  about 50 west of Albany. They do fine for me. Mine right now are about 2 ft with palmate leaves in just over a year from seed. Just acquired some fresh seed from Not a ta here at palmtalk. very fresh clean seeds. I expect these to germinate in about 4-6 weeks.  They are indoor during the winter in a nice brightly lite sun filled area. I keep humidity up with humidifiers which does fine for all of the plants. As far as the bases from the fronds that turn brown, once I remove the dead frond, I leave that on to just fall off on its own, Yours could just be acclimating to its new environment. That splitting could possibly be the growth of its new fronds, the stem expanding. I would think that it will be fine just given a little tlc, don't get discouraged by people telling you that it will not grow in the north, because of it being to dark and dry in the winter. I"ve had great success with many different palms, some have even been donated to green houses and educational facilities here. I think that if you keep reading you will find that there is a wonderful array of plants and palms that will do wonderfully. Just bring them in for the winter if you have the room. 

Thanks Mark

Edited by Mostapha
  • Like 2

The fronds split vertically on the crown as the palm grows. The lump looks like what happens sometimes in a very strong wind or other mechanical damage where the frond gets twisted around. I'd just let it grow.  Even if you trim off a lower frond because it gets broken or looks crappy just leave the part on the crown till it turns brown & dries out. You can remove it when you can easily pull it off with very little resistance. The best thing is to let the palm shed the fronds on it's own, it's self cleaning. 

• Like 1

As others said leave the frond to fall off on its own. Pulling it off early can sometimes make the palm susceptible to rot. 

David