IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxy Lady palm

David878

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a small foxy lady or gear me in the right deduction thank you 

There is a seller on eBay that has at least one available every week. He does 24hr auctions and turns out a new availability every evening. For the past few months, specimens are in the 1gal pot size, with the palm being around a 1’ in height, most are variegated form. There’s been a couple times where large all green forms have been available, but it hasn’t been too often. 

20 minutes ago, David878 said:

What’s the difference between the variegated and the green ?

foxyladygreen.jpg

foxyladyvariegated.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, FishEyeAquaculture said:

foxyladygreen.jpg

foxyladyvariegated.jpg

FULL DISCLOSURE...these are not photos of my palms, nor did I take these photos.  They are the result of a quick google search. 

Variegated photo is Leu Gardens, pretty sure courtesy of @Eric in Orlando

10 hours ago, David878 said:

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a small foxy lady or gear me in the right deduction thank you 

Check the For sale forum, I believe Christian Faulkner had 1 for sale last week 

2 hours ago, Reeverse said:

Check the For sale forum, I believe Christian Faulkner had 1 for sale last week 

HOLY CRAP!!!!  I can’t believe I forgot about that!!!  I would check with @cfkingfish before eBay. 

On July 19, 2019 at 3:43 PM, David878 said:

So why does it seem the green is the better choice ?

The green form tends to perform better in full all day sun than the variegated which burns more easily especially in hot dry sun. 

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

6 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

The green form tends to perform better in full all day sun than the variegated which burns more easily especially in hot dry sun. 

Agree w/ Jim..  If you were closer, or perhaps when you might be in the area.. i'd suggest spending sometime at Kopsick Palmatium in St. Pete.  The collection has a few standard green Foxies, and a Variegated specimen whose crown receives full sun. In all the years i have observed it, fronds on the variegated spec. are always burnt to some degree. Not all that attractive, imo once at that stage.  Regular 'ol green specimens always look flawless.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Agree w/ Jim..  If you were closer, or perhaps when you might be in the area.. i'd suggest spending sometime at Kopsick Palmatium in St. Pete.  The collection has a few standard green Foxies, and a Variegated specimen whose crown receives full sun. In all the years i have observed it, fronds on the variegated spec. are always burnt to some degree. Not all that attractive, imo once at that stage.  Regular 'ol green specimens always look flawless.

Yup, and that’s why 100% green go for more $$

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, enigma99 said:

There is a variegated one on ebay right now ends in 21 hours

I bought one like that on eBay recently and it will eventually be planted in a shady/partially sunny area of the garden. My big green one enjoys full sun however and is the fastest growing palm in my landscape and I have hundreds of palms in the ground. I’m super impressed by these. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

8 minutes ago, David878 said:

Well if you guys find a green one for sale please let me know 

Is not a green one?? and you're in FL too? bit of a drive for you but it's a nice one.

Edited by enigma99

Now correct me if I am wrong is it true that even the green ones will spit out some variation in its life span ? 

4 hours ago, David878 said:

Now correct me if I am wrong is it true that even the green ones will spit out some variation in its life span ? 

Never observed even hints of varigation on any of the solid green specimens i have seen in both FL. or CA. )  That being said, every specimen can be different so there is a chance a few might..  

There is a slight blonde strip but that why i asked is the green form Always green or does it have. Few variegated fronds .....

John looks wonderfull even with the blonde on the tips as your does and it’s in full sun and looks great so that why I ask how can you say full green when every single green one I have seen still has a few variation I don’t know just my observation 

9 hours ago, David878 said:

Can you tell me if this baby foxy is a full green ?

2FE2813B-2AB1-4230-A704-B9634FBB8357.jpeg

Not full green. Full greens do not have any variegation.

Edited by enigma99

If anyone can find a pic of a small full green please post to show the difference thank you 

1 hour ago, JohnLight said:

David the light must be playing tricks in the photo, this palm has zero variegation. 

Yeah I could tell it is 100% green as well. Nice palm

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

great looking palm this is on of her fronds very evident the blonde in it in contrast to the hunter green the crown is not all full hunter green 

23803788-B21A-46AB-997B-5E5B35FE7BFB.png

David, I assure you that is the light playing tricks on you. That palm is 100% solid dark healthy green. There are no light colored green leaves and zero variegation. You are more than welcome to come have a look first hand. 

It’s a wonderfull palm John if I could I would buy it with out question I actually like the variation sort of like a nice looking blonde girl JK maybe if I ever make it down there 

On July 25, 2019 at 10:15 AM, David878 said:

So my question would be if this palm is mostly green will it do well in full sun 

image.thumb.png.eb34bd0b2af145fdb2e4165da90b0ca0.pngI see some true variegation in those lower leaves. 

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Did not notice the variegation earlier but as Jim pointed out, on the lower leaf there it is.

Exactly I believe even the green form has some at some point I saw a mature green form produce some variation. I think it’s better classifies as mostly green or mostly variegated that’s my conclusion 

There is full green and mostly green. I have a couple of completely green ones in my yard and there isn’t a bit of variegation 

Edited by enigma99
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good stuff when ever someone finds a full green or the lucky charm let me know would like a small one it’s almost like finding Waldo