IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy root size

newtopalmsMD

I am planting a Trachycarpus Nainital in my pool area.  My question is, how far from the trunk will the roots grow?  I want to leave enough room from the cement decking  and some of the underground pipes that make the pool work.  Also I don't want to be planting annuals too close to the trachy and disturbing the trachy roots when I lift annuals for the winter.  

Also I have very well-draining clay (sounds odd I know).  Any thoughts on what medium I should plant in?  Just the native soil/clay.  Native clay emended with garden soil/humus? vermiculite? builders' sand?  Are there really 10 different ideas all of which work pretty much the same?

Many thanks!

The root system shouldn't be too large. Palms typically don't root out like hardwoods or conifers. 

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Thanks  And one more question.  It will reach the high 90's in each of the next three days.  Is that too hot to plant this trachy (maybe  foot of trunk and 4 feet of fronds.  It will be in the sun from 9am - 2:30pm once planted.  It arrived last night and the root ball is sitting in the plastic bag it was shipped in.  Its sitting in the shade right now

Thanks

The 90s won’t hurt the trachy. It will grow like a weed. Up here they love the hot days and cooler nights. They don’t like intense heat throughout the entire year a few months of it is fine from my experience anyway 

Trachys are great due to their non invasive root system.  You can plant them right up to structures unlike a maple oak.  Do you know if this palm was out in full sun?  It should probably be fine planting out even if it wasn't.  I've not seen one experience sun burn before, just some yellowing.  I would amend the soil somewhat and make sure it gets plenty of water this summer. 

Id say plant away so long as you water it regularly. My trachycarpus love the heat, and honestly love all of our DMV weather save for the .5-5 days a year where we get abnormal winter temperatures. 

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Make sure to plant high in a mound is my suggestion so water doesn't pool around it in winter and when you protect it.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

7 hours ago, Allen said:

Make sure to plant high in a mound is my suggestion so water doesn't pool around it in winter and when you protect it.

I usually mound up mulch for winter in hopes of keeping water out. But I agree plant a little higher.

Even if your clay drains well, I would add plenty of organic matter, as this will help the soil retain nutrients, and depending on the type you use, will probably itself be a source of nutrients.

9 hours ago, RaleighNC said:

Even if your clay drains well, I would add plenty of organic matter, as this will help the soil retain nutrients, and depending on the type you use, will probably itself be a source of nutrients.

I feel like trachycarpus do pretty well in my red clay, but better drainage would be nice!