IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The only comprehensive guide on Cuban palms on sale

Licuala

The Palms of Cuba is the only comprehensive guide to all the 98 taxa of palms native to Cuba along with their classification and an identification key. Included are descriptions for each species, distribution maps, habitat types, conservation status, cultivation needs and other useful information. Both the novice backyard grower and the serious palm aficionado will find plenty of useful information on which species can be grown in the landscape. The 232 pages include over 420 photos of the palms in habitat and a glossary of terms as a reference for the reader. This book is on sale now for $33.95 from Amazon.com, which is $6 off the suggested retail price!

Below are Copernicia fallaensis, Copernicia macroglossa and Colpothrinax wrightii all in habitat, Cuba

Copernicia fallaensis Cuba_0561 jpg 900.jpg

Copernicia macroglossa_7125 jpg 900.jpg

Colpothrinax wrightii CU_3624 jpg.jpg

• Like 2

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Coccothrinax salvatoris in habitat showing rainbow coloration. Photo by Duanny Suarez.

Coccothrinax salvatoris DS_6295 jpg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

2 hours ago, Matt from LA said:

Any idea who sells the salvatoris?

Seed has come into Florida in the last couple years, but they have so far proven to take quite some time to germinate and then are slow growing. I think it will be a couple more years before you see any become available from nurseries.

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Raul Verdecia is the top palm botanist in Cuba. He stands here next to Copernicia cowellii. The genus Copernicia is the primary genus that he is trying to finally get all figured out. It is a daunting task!;-)

Copernicia cowellii Cuba Raul_0150 jpg red.jpg

• Like 1

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Yup, saw that book as well as the "Palms of Vietnam".  Both would be a great edition to my Palm Library.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Copernicia hospita is one of the Cuban palms that has been is cultivation for many years throughout the world. There are both green and silver forms. This particular palm is a very silver form growing at Nong Nooch Garden in Thailand

Copernicia hospita NN_3266 jpg.jpg

• Like 1

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

The Cuban palms have proven to be extremely important to the people in Cuba providing building materials, food and a plethora of useful products. These are some products made from the trunk of Colpothrinax wrightii including chairs, tables and cigar ashtrays.

Colpothrinax wrightii chairs_7429 jpg.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Coccothrinax borhidiana is an endangered palm found in a small location on the north coast of Cuba. Its habitat is gradually disappearing due to human activity and the grazing of goats. It has only been in cultivation since the latter part of the 1990s and has proven to be a very handsome addition to landscapes. It does hybridize very easily with other Coccothrinax so care needs to be taken when these palms flower so pollen from other Coccothrinax species does not pollinate the C. borhidiana female flowers. 

Coccothrinax borhidiana 0233 RV jpg 900.jpg

• Like 1

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

I have to say this book is the only palm book I keep in the rear seat pocket of my truck at all times. It is not only very informative, but has great pictures and is not overwhelming for non-botanists. It is also very reasonably priced! 

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

On 7/20/2019 at 9:31 PM, cfkingfish said:

I have to say this book is the only palm book I keep in the rear seat pocket of my truck at all times. It is not only very informative, but has great pictures and is not overwhelming for non-botanists. It is also very reasonably priced! 

Thanks for the kind words Christian!;-)

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL