IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show stoppers

redant

this Beccariophoenix alfredii was planted in full sun in 2011 after it was fried as a seedling at 28F, 29F consecutive nights with heavy frost in winter 2010.  I ripped out as I thought it was dead and put it in a container till summer 2011 when I planted all 3.  the two other seedlings under canopy were not frosted and burned so I suspect that young alfredii can be burned with frost at 28F.  Today at nearly 25' overall(+/-), I expect it isn't nearly as cold or frost sensitive.  It shrugged off 5 hrs at 30F a couple of years back like it was nothing after having minimal damage in Irma.  All my crown shafts were mostly defoliated, but the alfredii didn't flinch.  Here it is pictured with my Borassus Aethiopum which was hammered by IRMA and is growing back with 9-10' leaves

Alfredii1.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

That's really great growth on the Beccariophoenix!  ~8-9 years from a seedling to 25' overall is pretty fast, even though it takes a long time to start officially trunking.  Mine are all around the 5-7' tall range and are growing longer fronds now.  The overall height isn't increasing all that much, the fronds are getting longer but with more arch to them. 

Is the Borassus Aethiopum the same age?

the borassus was a small strap leaf seedling in 4" nursery pot that I first planted out front in late 2010.  The yard guys mowed it over a few months later and I took it out of the ground and put it where it currently sits with a fence around it.  It currently gets about 5 hrs of sun a day in summer, less in the first 4 years as it was also shaded by an oak(since removed).  It has been fertilized lightly (1 handfull florikan nutrikote) 2x a year.  At first it didn't grow, it kind of sat there for 3 years and grew new strap leaves that then divided after having been mowed and transplanted.  Then it started to grow moderately, at first 2-3 leaves and then more recently 4-5 leaves a year.  But last few years those leaves have gotten bigger, like 2x as large so it appears to be established and happy.  The latest leaf looks almost 10' across, bigger than my bizzies.  The trunk has also thickened notably last 3 years.  Both borassus and alfredii get deep roots and are not effected by drought in my yard.  I had 2 months without irrigation and no rain for 60 days in the late summer/ fall a few years back when I was away and these two were even better than the bizzies in that drought, appearance wise.

• Like 2

Tom Blank

10 hours ago, Briank said:

46EAE614-5559-4636-BB53-E6CEB3036A08.jpeg

As it's a non palm I didn't add mine, but yeah these are show stoppers, here is mine

IMG_4598_(2).JPG

• Like 3

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

• 4 weeks later...

My chambeyronia macrocarpa "watermelon" seems to go rose in color instead of red then fades to salmon then yellow before going green.  To my eye these palms are always show stoppers when a new leaf opens.

Chamby_salmonleaf.jpg

chambyleaf2.jpg

chambyMacro2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

At the moment the best lookings ones even after a super strong typhoon 

we had a week ago...

001.thumb.jpg.9382432b8526e1b19513c048d108722a.jpg

...my pair of Howeas. I am so glad that they seem to like our climate.

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, palmfriend said:

At the moment the best lookings ones even after a super strong typhoon 

we had a week ago...

001.thumb.jpg.9382432b8526e1b19513c048d108722a.jpg

...my pair of Howeas. I am so glad that they seem to like our climate.

Best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

Very nice looking palms Lars i have been really surprised noone talks about Howeas much on PT,  beautiful genus 

• Like 3

T J 

17 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Very nice looking palms Lars i have been really surprised noone talks about Howeas much on PT,  beautiful genus 

That’s funny because I was just walking my garden today and stopped to take a look at one of my small Howea forsterianas and was thinking that this palm doesn’t seem to get as much appreciation as it used to and they are really such beautiful palms.

My other larger one has unfortunately been suffering from the pretty common leaning syndrome for about a year now. Time to try the borax treatment.

54 minutes ago, The Gerg said:

That’s funny because I was just walking my garden today and stopped to take a look at one of my small Howea forsterianas and was thinking that this palm doesn’t seem to get as much appreciation as it used to and they are really such beautiful palms.

My other larger one has unfortunately been suffering from the pretty common leaning syndrome for about a year now. Time to try the borax treatment.

Or miticide (like Avid). Not convinced it's a boron issue over mite. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

On 8/19/2019 at 9:17 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

They hate FL so not much interest in trying to grow one here. Beautiful palms though.

Jupiter FL

7 hours ago, LJG said:

Or miticide (like Avid). Not convinced it's a boron issue over mite. 

Thanks for tip. I will give that a try as well. 

Here are a group of Carpoxylon I planted in 2011.  Did not expect long term survival, so planted in tight group.  They have been doing great and alter my walks through the garden to see them, and the best seat in the house.  I like them so much, I now planted a total of 10 throughout garden.  What a beautiful palm!

DSCN5046.thumb.JPG.6b4a6069ac4a9aaa1d3b165d57aca55e.JPG

DSCN5044.thumb.JPG.8764dd1fcf3df1e23161a2e23119b484.JPG

DSCN5025.thumb.JPG.67e82be78d2a9ee4450eb0c1e17fe0ff.JPG

• Like 22
  • Upvote 4

Hey Mike, Carpoxylon at this stage of growth are so handsome, at least to me anyway. I've got two that are now so tall I have to look up, not at.

They are still nifty palms regardless. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

41 minutes ago, Mike Evans said:

Here are a group of Carpoxylon I planted in 2011.  Did not expect long term survival, so planted in tight group.  They have been doing great and alter my walks through the garden to see them, and the best seat in the house.  I like them so much, I now planted a total of 10 throughout garden.  What a beautiful palm!

:drool:Absolutely stunning palms hands down 1 of my favs 

• Like 1

T J 

3 hours ago, Mike Evans said:

I hate this palm, getting them to survive for me seems near impossible. I have one survivor out of 5 that slow as molasses in January. Yours are stunning. What's the secret?

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

5 hours ago, Mike Evans said:

Those are amazing!  I've wanted to try one, but haven't tried due to the reputation for sluggish growth.  I want to hear your secrets too!  :D

On 7/19/2019 at 1:54 PM, sonoranfans said:

Most non palm people gravitate towards a whitish bismarckia I planted in the front yard from a 5 gallon in 2011.   A few like Kentiopsis O.  Surprisingly, the non palm people don't ask about my copernicia fallaense and baileyana which are also in front.  My cuban copernicias are still recovering from Irma, perhaps 5 more leaves each to fill out.  The bismarckia was not as badly damaged and is recovered, here it is next to the street.  I had 7 neighbors plant one after seeing mine.  

Bis2019.JPG

WHOA...that has gotten BIG since the last time I saw it Tom!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

On 8/20/2019 at 6:18 PM, redant said:

I hate this palm, getting them to survive for me seems near impossible. I have one survivor out of 5 that slow as molasses in January. Yours are stunning. What's the secret?

I planted 6 on Pine Island...….there are none left.  I replaced them all with Roystonea borinquena from @Rusty on Pine Is. a few years ago.  Cold didn't get them, but they seem to need almost constant water.

Larry 

On 8/20/2019 at 8:53 PM, Merlyn2220 said:

Those are amazing!  I've wanted to try one, but haven't tried due to the reputation for sluggish growth.  I want to hear your secrets too!  :D

They will be a tough grow in Orlando.  Youll need to protect them periodically.

Larry 

Leu Gardens in Orlando has at least one planted out.  I think they at least have a shot in a protected, very moist or well-irrigated spot in 10a.

I get a lot of compliments on my 2 tall Ravenea rivularis palms.

Here is the best shot I can get on one of them. 

1156677831_20190811_1854304.thumb.jpg.3b5e05f71393bc6245f87274b24daf72.jpg

Edited by Tampa Scott
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Tampa Scott said:

Wow, very nice! That might be the largest Ravenea in Tampa. :greenthumb:

Edited by RedRabbit

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Folks passing by usually do a double take on these young bottles (hyophorbe Lagenicaulis) which are street side.

20190824_184612.thumb.jpg.662a892a5a264aaa03137b58cf4cea63.jpg

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

11 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

Wow, very nice! That might be the largest Ravenea in Tampa. :greenthumb:

This one is slightly larger. 578675856_20190825_073840_Burst012.thumb.jpg.facf597e1423d4e6ce97ae347c2c7f02.jpg

Background showing secondstory roofline. The trunk to the right is that of Copernicia Alba. 

Edited by Tampa Scott
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tampa Scott said:

This one is slightly larger. 578675856_20190825_073840_Burst012.thumb.jpg.facf597e1423d4e6ce97ae347c2c7f02.jpg

Background showing secondstory roofline. The trunk to the right is that of Copernicia Alba. 

Very nice! I like your copernicia too, may have to get one for the new house. :)

20 hours ago, Tampa Scott said:

Monsters

Jupiter FL

Many years ago I saw a R. rivularis  growing at the edge of a permanent stream near Hilo.  This palm had its roots in unlimited water, the trunk was about 1 meter in diameter.

San Francisco, California

On 8/25/2019 at 7:48 AM, Tampa Scott said:

Now that I’ve been looking at houses in NW Hillsborough I’ve noticed quite a few large R rivularis in the area. This is interesting because they do notoriously poorly in Florida due to water and nutritional problems. For some reason they’re doing well up there though, perhaps something is different about the soil?

• 1 month later...

Here is my top show stopper, almost recovered from IRMA 2 years ago.  Ken Johnson delivered it as a transplant almost 10' tall in sept 2011.  The rock attached to the rootball required a 2500lb bobcat to plant it.  In IRMA it lost about half the leaves(it had more then than now).  Its putting out bigger leaves than ever and stands about 20-22' overall

Fallaense2yrIRMA2019.jpg

UnderFalla2019.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

Doug, I have been stunned by that palm many times, both good and bad(IRMA).   Here is the palm in sept 2011 during the planting.  It was originally just green, the wax developed as it grew.

candymanFallaensis.jpg

• Like 3

Tom Blank