IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Show stoppers

redant

The palms you have that even make non palm people go, wow what's that?  I have a couple but will start with this fine Caryota obtuse.  It's in my front so it gets a bit more people traffic. Hard to get the scale of this beast in the picture but's it a monster. So what's your show stopper?

IMG_5782.jpg

Edited by redant
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Lots of rare palms planted but this is the only one that people want to talk about. Apparently,size DOES matter.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15633130659038514756169540667454.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

This thread should be blowing up :drool:maybe some dont like to boast haha Awesome Caryota and Bizzie,  2 of my fav palms 

• Like 1

T J 

I dont think I so much have a show stopper but my friends tend to like this Foxy Lady. I like it also as it is a focal point from my favorite backyard lounging spot. This was taken November of last year. It’s quite a bit bigger now but I don’t have any more recent good pics.

643CF257-D74D-4095-A089-2BA3AFFC34C4.thumb.jpeg.c6a5c9c5d5bbf42781e3ef6e4c675975.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, jimmyt said:

Beautiful!   I cannot compete!  :drool:

Me neither... but give me another ten years and...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, redant said:

I have a couple but will start with this fine Caryota obtuse.

Caryota gigas and Bismarkia nobilis in my old garden too.  I think the leaf form of Caryota's are still quite novel as is the color of a Bismarkia.... and of course the size of both.  In my current home it is always the Dypsis prestoniana which again is the biggest palm in the garden.   It is interesting that palms that are super sized seems to be a common thread.  An old photo from 2013 with the Caryota gigas arching over a walkway.  Perhaps this weekend I'll be able to get an updated photo of it.

20130625-IMG_5590-X3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy, Would love to see a recent pic of the D. Prestoniana. I like those palms. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to score a good sized one so I just need to wait for my two little ones to grow up. :huh:

My front yard show stopper..... yep, a humble old coconut.....was 2' tall in 1987. Passersby often comment on its height.
Notes/- has never produced seed......

66793616_2071844903124594_6625117797179457536_n.jpg

67174195_326721121546939_6439449741112639488_n.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, greysrigging said:

My front yard show stopper..... yep, a humble old coconut.....was 2' tall in 1987. Passersby often comment on its height.

Hey, Skyscrapers are in a different category now!! :floor:

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Gerg said:

I dont think I so much have a show stopper but my friends tend to like this Foxy Lady. I like it also as it is a focal point from my favorite backyard lounging spot. This was taken November of last year. It’s quite a bit bigger now but I don’t have any more recent good pics.

643CF257-D74D-4095-A089-2BA3AFFC34C4.thumb.jpeg.c6a5c9c5d5bbf42781e3ef6e4c675975.jpeg

I have 2 foxy ladies, they are sooooooo tall you never see them anymore. I'm always somewhat in aww how CA patio's are, outdoor cushion's and seating area that would be nothing but big moldy  blobs in FL, very nice.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

8 hours ago, greysrigging said:

My tall coconut (don't know what type of tall ) had gotten about that size before fruiting, about 17 or 18 years.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

I just started out in the palm tree hobby so I've got nothing but I can't wait to see more pictures of everyone else's show stoppers. Some truly amazing trees on here!

Would have to say it’s my Chambeyronia “watermelon”.   It’s planted in a very prominent spot in the yard and definitely gets the most comments.

B6C72887-DFF9-459B-BA73-21A9AD4E46D2.jpeg

• Like 11

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

When it comes to non palm people size does matter, it gets there attention. They are not the type to be looking for the small treasures you have in the garden. Based on that, this Attalea cohune gets lots of attention. Note the Syagrus botryophora trunk next to it for size.

IMG_5786 (2).jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 2

Jupiter FL

Hedyscepe, currently my all-around favorite palm !

IMG_0081_1.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

• Like 14
  • Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

1 hour ago, redant said:

That's a beauty Joe.

Thanks, Doug.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

45 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Hedyscepe, currently my all-around favorite palm !

IMG_0081_1.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

LOVE your Hedyscepe!  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

13 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Tracy, Would love to see a recent pic of the D. Prestoniana. I like those palms. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to score a good sized one so I just need to wait for my two little ones to grow up. :huh:

Here is the bigger one with it's first inflorescence opening.  I should get a photo with someone in the shot for scale sometime but it is definitely the palm everyone asks about.

20190716-104A4242.jpg

20190712-104A4174.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, redant said:

My tall coconut (don't know what type of tall ) had gotten about that size before fruiting, about 17 or 18 years.

To be honest, I don't want it to fruit.....a seed falling from that height would be lethal.......

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tracy said:

Here is the bigger one with it's first inflorescence opening.  I should get a photo with someone in the shot for scale sometime but it is definitely the palm everyone asks about.

20190716-104A4242.jpg

20190712-104A4174.jpg

Pretty awesome.

Not that these are rare or unusual palms, but it seems non palm people figure all royals need to be solitary, lining a street or driveway. I'm frequently asked what are they.

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

• Like 8

Jupiter FL

When I have more palm like people over I show off these tribears as they get a better understanding of what they are. I have 4 total, super fast and easy in FL if you ever find them.

IMG_5790.jpg

IMG_5791.jpg

• Like 7

Jupiter FL

And this Pritchardia, not sure which it is.

IMG_5794.jpg

• Like 4

Jupiter FL

@redant if you hadnt said Florida i would think you lived in Hawaii how nice your palms have grown :greenthumb:

The pritchardia almost looks like glabrata but im no expert haha 

• Like 1

T J 

Most non palm people gravitate towards a whitish bismarckia I planted in the front yard from a 5 gallon in 2011.   A few like Kentiopsis O.  Surprisingly, the non palm people don't ask about my copernicia fallaense and baileyana which are also in front.  My cuban copernicias are still recovering from Irma, perhaps 5 more leaves each to fill out.  The bismarckia was not as badly damaged and is recovered, here it is next to the street.  I had 7 neighbors plant one after seeing mine.  

Bis2019.JPG

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

53 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

the non palm people don't ask about my copernicia fallaense and baileyana which are also in front.

While I'm sure these are the two palms that all the palm people do oogle and ask about.  You will have to post some photos of them later this summer after they have had an opportunity to push a couple more new leaves out after being in recovery mode for a while now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

Most non palm people gravitate towards a whitish bismarckia I planted in the front yard from a 5 gallon in 2011.   A few like Kentiopsis O.  Surprisingly, the non palm people don't ask about my copernicia fallaense and baileyana which are also in front.  My cuban copernicias are still recovering from Irma, perhaps 5 more leaves each to fill out.  The bismarckia was not as badly damaged and is recovered, here it is next to the street.  I had 7 neighbors plant one after seeing mine.  

Bis2019.JPG

Great bizzie

• Like 2

Jupiter FL

3 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

I'm guessing my showstopper is obvious. :floor:

IMG_2189.jpg

Lol, everything else looks tiny

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

While I'm sure these are the two palms that all the palm people do oogle and ask about.  You will have to post some photos of them later this summer after they have had an opportunity to push a couple more new leaves out after being in recovery mode for a while now.

I will post later this summer/fall.  The sharp spines on newer leaves just shred the older leaves in a hurricane on these cuban copernicias.  The Fallaense had at least a dozen damaged leaves from this 1/3 perhaps entirely shredded to petioles.  The bailey looked initially like it did better, but the big spear holding perhaps 4-5 unopened leaves was damaged and it got a fungal infection.  This caused damage to all the newest leaves and some older ones were shredded like the fallaensis.  At first I thought the bailey might succumb to a fungal infection, but peroxide and copper fungicide solved the problem and now it has put out 4 new leaves but you cant see them unless very close looking up into the crown.  I will post pics in sept to nov time frame after 3-4 more leaves open. 

Tom Blank

On 7/19/2019 at 1:54 PM, sonoranfans said:

Most non palm people gravitate towards a whitish bismarckia I planted in the front yard from a 5 gallon in 2011.   A few like Kentiopsis O.  Surprisingly, the non palm people don't ask about my copernicia fallaense and baileyana which are also in front.  

That's a really nice Bizzie!  I hope my two turn out like that in a few years, keeping my fingers crossed!  I suspect the reason why people don't ask about the Copernicias is because they look superficially similar to common Washingtonia and Livistona.  You'll probably get more comments on the Fallaensis once it gets to the absurd >6' fan size.  

I don't have any real show-stoppers yet, but I'm working on it!  Two Bizzies, 5 Beccariophoenix Alfredii, a Fallaensis and a Baileyana, 2 Attalea Cohune, an Arenga Pinnata and a variety of big Encephalartos from PT member ChuckG.  The biggest in the ground right now is this 10' tall Encephalartos Hildebrandtii, which is a bit sunburned but otherwise pretty monstrous!  It dwarfs the recently planted Sylvester on it's left...  :D 1940246815_P1050105cropped.thumb.JPG.7f8221d164e58d1cc41a5ff2f034b2c7.JPG

• Like 4

We apparently have similar tastes.  I also have 2 bizzies, 3 alfredii, a bailey, and the fallaense.  My fallaense already has 6' leaves, its been in the ground for 8 years and is about 20' overall with ~2' of clear trunk(self cleaning yay!). I think people like the white/grey color of the biz, while the arresting moire pattern of copernicia leaves/leaflets is only appreciated by those more detail conscious viewers. Nice Encephalartos Hildebrandtii!

• Like 1

Tom Blank

In my little backyard, the Royal is the show stopper.  See the adirondack chair at the base for scale.  I bought this palm for $90 with 3' clear trunk in summer 2011.  Today it has over 20' clear trunk and the base is about 28" with an increase of a few inches up nearer the bud.  Here the royal is pictured with a Kentiopsis Oliviformis and Beccariophoenix alfredii.  Both royal and kentiopsis were mostly defoliated two years ago this winter.  None of my (3) Beccariophoenix were damaged.

ROYAL1.jpg

• Like 8

Tom Blank

4 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

In my little backyard, the Royal is the show stopper.  See the adirondack chair at the base for scale.  I bought this palm for $90 with 3' clear trunk in summer 2011.  Today it has over 20' clear trunk and the base is about 28" with an increase of a few inches up nearer the bud.  Here the royal is pictured with a Kentiopsis Oliviformis and Beccariophoenix alfredii.

ROYAL1.jpg

:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb: Beautiful!

How tall/old was the B. alfredii when you planted it? And how long ago?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

that BA planted in the ground at the same time as the royal in summer 2011 but it was a 3 gallon size.  It started its life in part shade(25' live oak over it) but I took that oak out 3-4 summers ago.  The size of my 3 alfredii is directly related to the sun exposure as all 3 were just getting fully divided leaves in summer 2011.  My wide angle lens may make that beccariophoenix look bigger than it is relative to the royal.  Its about 16-18' overall its the second largest of the 3.  

Tom Blank