Jono Miller

Sabal palmetto root length?

Jono Miller

Regarding the length of roots on cabbage palms, Wade and Langdon cite Sargent (1933) as follows: 

". . .with a short pointed knob-like under ground stem surrounded by a dense mass of contorted roots often 4° or 5° in diameter and 5° or 6° deep, from which tough light orange-colored roots often nearly 1/2' in diameter penetrate the soil for a distance of 15° or 20°, "

On the other hand,  at a palm workshop I was told cabbage palms can have roots 40 or 50 feet long.

My own observations on eroding beaches and banks suggests 15' or 20' is definitely too short.  See image from Cedar Key.

Does anyone have a personal observation or citation for Sabal palmetto root length other than Sargent? 

IMG_7947.jpg

Jono Miller

Dent Smith spans the gap in Principes Vol.7  "Growth Rates of Certain Palms"

Dent smith 1963 SAPA roots.png

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• IVO
      By IVO
      Hello! I have 3 washingtonia robustas growing from seeds in 1.5 gallon pots. This spring I'm going to repot them into bigger ones. So my question is. How important to them is root damage, because some of roots are sticking out from drain holes and there is no way rather that clip them off? 
      My 6 moths old palms and me on the picture.

• SilverDragon
      By SilverDragon
      So I have a few joannis and spiralis seedlings that are doing quite well in some one gallon pots, bit now a few have roots coming out of the bottom. Should I transplant them to a deeper pot? If so, I'd really appreciate it if someone could link me a site where I can order the deep black square pots I see many growers using on here.
    • kbob11
      By kbob11
      Hi everyone,
          My potted trachycarpus is pushing out new roots on its side.  The roots are pushing the old petioles down towards the dirt.  I was just wondering if I should cut the old petioles or will the roots eventually push through.  Thanks! 

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I noticed these interesting roots, after some of the leaf bases came off this Phoenix roebelenii.  I had been using the leaf bases to hang "S" hooks to hold up both tillandsia and orchids.  I know that the trunk and leaf bases got a little extra water and fertilizer which could have stimulated the root growth this far up.  I also had a large pile of dirt up against the trunk of this plant about 5 years ago for at least a couple of months when remodeling the house.  It was originally planted by the previous home owners and had multiple trunks from a clump planting.  I eliminated all the other trunks shortly after finishing the remodel to make room for other things adjacent to it.  Anyone seen roots come out this far up the trunk of a P roebelenii before?

• cm05
      By cm05
      Quick question. I recently purchased a Phoenix roebelenii with loads of dead roots at the surface. Should they be removed prior to the palm being planted? Or simply covered over with soil? I'm afraid the palm will end up with an infection of some sort if they're left on (with added soil), but then again I'm sure it's lived with them for some time.