IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Dypsis lanceolata seeds - mailed worldwide!

DoomsDave

As he noted in his thread, Mike Wardlow was nice enough to give me his whole crop of Dypsis lanceolata seeds, and I took them home.

Some I'll sprout and use as PSSC meeting party favors; others I'll mail to you if you send me a PM (Private message) with your mailing address and "Free Dypsis lanceolata seed" in the message.

I've gotten seeds from Mike before and they generally germinate quite fast. They don't keep long, so I'm planning on giving everything away. Stored seed from a while back hasn't grown nearly as well as it did when fresh.

This is a smaller Dypsis, a bit on the skinny side, marginal away from the beach, but should also be a nice house plant in a place like Berlin, Seoul or Winnipeg, if you give enough humidity.

Here's a nice pic of Mr. Wardlow's plant.

And, @mwardlow thanks a heapin' heap of a heap for the tour of your wonderful garden! You are NUTTY and your garden shows it . . . . :greenthumb:

As usual, I'm going to gather requests, then send out a bunch all at once. If you're new, you're especially welcome! I've send seeds to England, Croatia, Canada, Germany, Italy, the Phillipines, Japan, Korea, Israel, Morocco, Mexico, Australia(!!!) and, of course, the good old USA.

1185816584_wardlowslancies.jpeg.f3b56dfbb128c80799d3b48929bcb6fa.jpeg

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Send your messages!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

There's a lot of seed, so don't be shy.

Great bargain coming around, free Dypsis lanceolata seeds, I'm in again.  I'm interested Dave in trying these. Here's mail address!Address.jpg

pm sent. Thank you 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

I plan on mailing out all seed soon. If you want some, let me know or hold your peace till the next round.

Cutting off requests

39 to date

there will be more later 

• Like 1

Got my seeds in the mail today.  Thank you to @mwardlow for offering the seeds and to @DoomsDave for picking them up and shipping them out!  If there is anything I have growing that either of you need, please don't hesitate to PM.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Got my seeds today without them being held for ransom by USPS!  

Thanks Dave!

Holy smokes i should've checked my mail today =/ 

T J 

also arrived today, have them soaking now. thank you very much, will keep you posted on germination. Mark

Good Day DoomsDave! The mail came through the speedy postal system yesterday. Nice bunch of seeds. Set up heat mat and jar of warm water for the little guys. Little sinkers are great divers, hold their breath long. Thanks again for the lively batch. Great week ahead, ZenMan 1

Received my seeds today, they are already soaking.

Thanks a lot Dave

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Everyone:

As noted by recipients, I've sent out 39 envelopes last Friday, July 26, 2019.

The seeds have been cleaned, and there turned out to be a lot more floaters than I originally expected.

If you've raised the Chamadorea radicalis i've sent around before, be aware: D. lancies are much more tender and temperamental across the board. They won't take the kind of abuse that the "iron clad rads" can take.

BUT! They're pretty and worth the trouble. I tried to take extra-special care this year to be sure everyone got viable seed, including not drying them in the sun and sending out almost immediately after harvest. If they're good, you should see sprouts in about a month or two.

Thanks, Dave. I’ve tried this species from seed before and you are spot on. D.  lanceolata germinates decently but seedlings tend toward the tropical. This species is much wimpier than cabadae and esp pembana but has attractive rippled pinnae. Small seedlings can’t take full sun. Out of the seedlings I germinated, only one remains in the garden and reached adulthood. It flowers yearly but seeds abort before ripening and is much smaller than my cabadae and pembanas.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Seeds arrived yesterday in great shape.  Thanks!

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Thanks, Dave. My seeds arrived when I was out of town but I'm back now and they are soaking.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

@Ilovepalm and @zoli, I'm out of lanceolata seeds for now.

I'm expecting more later.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dave,

today I could see the first sign of germination.  Pretty nice and fast. Hope more will come. Will take pictures when they poke out of the soil

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

Yeah, you're all welcome!

Remember these babies are tender things, very very unlike Chamadorea radicalis. But worth the trouble to keep happy!