IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Miracle Gro potting mix issue

newtopalmsMD

I have planted several cold hard palms (Trachy's and Sabals in 3 and 5 gallon pots) in all purpose Miraclegro all purpose potting mix with the idea of letting them overwinter one more winter before polanting in teh spring. But I have discovered that this mix is low in potassium and some trace nutrients.  Has anyone else done this and then emended the mix by adding nutrients?  If so how much should be added?  Or should I just find a better potting mix and repot?

Thanks

I think your concern regarding the nutrient value of MG mix is insignificant (you can always fertilize). Having said that, I think MG potting mixes are absolutely HORRIBLE.  They MAY work for indoor plants, but I find that these PEAT HEAVY mixes COOK in the hot sun.  Soils become extremely hydrophobic, so you cannot get water to the roots.  I know that people fear peaty mixes because they RETAIN water, but outside, in the sun, these peaty soils bake. You can literally stand out there with a hose on your plants, and your plants will die of dehydration.  Sorry to say that has been my experience; I have had to replant most everything to amend this soil mistake.  

You can still buy MG soil but I add generous amounts of..., perlite, coarse sand, orchid bark, humus etc... to the MG mix.

• Upvote 2

I agree with @oasis371. Never use any potting soil straight up. Add coarse stuff to loosen it up for drainage. Don’t trust the + fertilizer claim either. Fertilize yourself with Osmocote/Nutricote.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 hours ago, oasis371 said:

I think your concern regarding the nutrient value of MG mix is insignificant (you can always fertilize). Having said that, I think MG potting mixes are absolutely HORRIBLE.  They MAY work for indoor plants, but I find that these PEAT HEAVY mixes COOK in the hot sun.  Soils become extremely hydrophobic, so you cannot get water to the roots.  I know that people fear peaty mixes because they RETAIN water, but outside, in the sun, these peaty soils bake. You can literally stand out there with a hose on your plants, and your plants will die of dehydration.  Sorry to say that has been my experience; I have had to replant most everything to amend this soil mistake.  

You can still buy MG soil but I add generous amounts of..., perlite, coarse sand, orchid bark, humus etc... to the MG mix.

^This, right here.. Can't count all the plants i've personaly lost when i used the stuff, let alone the many $100's of bedding plants, veggies, etc we'd end up tossing in the nurseries i have worked for after peat based planting mixes were either over or under watered.. Even with the addition of Perlite, etc to the grower's mixes, high % of peat always caused big problems.  

Aside from that, Peat is a horrible, and environmentally destructive potting ammendment that should be avoided, especially when there are many other, environmentally friendly-lier substitutes ( CocoPeat, etc) to seek out.. 

With Miracle grow, their ferts are salt-based and can do more damage to plants then what benifets you might see in the short term.. Stuff is like Crack for plants, and once hooked, hard to correct the damage. 

Get yourself some CocoPeat, Turface, Pinebark, Perlite/ Pumice ( if available there ) and maybe some good, course river sand / grit.. and a good, slow release fert like Osmacote.. Your plants will live long and thank you.. 

Agree. Coco coir and perlite is fantastic for containers good drainage. No fungal attractions. And nice and airy I have not had any issues with palms since I got rid of peat based soils. The coco cost is well worth it. It never hardens when dry it always stays fluffy and my palms seem to love it. Now fertilizer that’s up to you 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oasis371 said:

I agree, but would use the MG cactus soil instead of the regular plus the amendments.  If that is what you have in your area.

I don't like their "Cacti, Palm & Citrus" mixes either..., I still think they are TOO PEATY.

• Like 2

Wow, it looks like  I have 3 palms to repot (three sabals).  I am only going to keep them over the winter, let them grow a bit more and then plant in the ground in the spring.  So what should I use? Should I just use garden soil (Vigaro), or should I add sand or perlite or palm/cactus mix (I have these three) or something else?  I live in MD north of DC so the ground is all clay.  

Thanks

On 7/16/2019 at 6:30 AM, Gonzer said:

I wouldn't feed my neighbor's dog anything MG puts in a bag.

Good, you seem to have a reasonable appreciation of canine dietary requirements.   :-)

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

10 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Good, you seem to have a reasonable appreciation of canine dietary requirements.   :-)

Darn right Steve, I wouldn't even think about feeding it to OUR dog!!