IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just a Couple Weekend Planting’s

The Gerg

Dug out a Dioon spinulosom and made larger hole in between my Dypsis decipiens and Brahea armata, in front of Burretiokentia grandiflora for......

6C4D0E3D-FB31-4D0D-9E73-2556BFCB0837.thumb.jpeg.376cf36459f55465993fd6aff4dcc725.jpeg

......this bad boy.  A good sized Encephalartos natelensis. I’ve had this for several months just waiting to get it in the ground.

FD149FCF-46DD-484D-AD4E-57EAD634289A.thumb.jpeg.03469fca85e5c096f946fa0ef75579fa.jpeg

And there it is. Almost finished.

04A9A04A-EDB3-4DB8-9829-A59F13A462E9.thumb.jpeg.23ed66a07083634b795cbe9b802489d8.jpeg

Here’s the finished product. The thing I was most impressed with myself about is I didn’t draw blood or even get a single scratch getting this thing in the ground. And trust me, this thing is quite spikey.

9694E413-95FD-4674-83C8-52BC4562CAA7.thumb.jpeg.03bc5592f4511bb5d6c6aed8e6baf5d8.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Then on the other side of the Brahea armata you saw the (gasp).....sago. And just next that I dug out a failed Dypsis ambositrae (its ok, I have another doing well) and put in this Hedyscepe canterburyana. I am hoping it will do ok in this location. May get a little sunburned at first but hopefully will shake it off.

2AF31B12-41C6-4B8A-8E09-534424C0B6A1.thumb.jpeg.c015b16f8d87c84aa101d98dea0e2f4f.jpeg

49E7BA29-AB3B-4A34-B6DC-6F328F4CD307.thumb.jpeg.9e08d90cd47f0cdc6b576175381950a0.jpeg

Btw, behind that sago is a Burretiokentia dumasii. The sago helps shade it for now.

Edited by The Gerg
  • Like 4

Next I will probably remove this Cycas revolta and replace with this Saba bermudana. Too burned out to do it today. :winkie:

A5881340-31DC-4C69-88FF-7F87B833A6B1.thumb.jpeg.89f73959f4ebe757634e66d5dac3e31e.jpeg

Edited by The Gerg
  • Like 6

It was a beautiful day so just thought I would share this pic I snapped while working on the new planting’s. E83D32C6-3705-481F-BF9C-4F775DA22AD7.thumb.jpeg.b5bd895d01d8442ca2ee49abf3d16daf.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Next I will probably remove this Cycas revolta and replace with this Saba bermudana. Too burned out to do it today. :winkie:

A5881340-31DC-4C69-88FF-7F87B833A6B1.thumb.jpeg.89f73959f4ebe757634e66d5dac3e31e.jpeg

Nice Bermudana did you grow from seed ? If so how old ? 

T J 

Great yard, lots of nice hardscaping and some sweet palms.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Nice Bermudana did you grow from seed ? If so how old ? 

No I did not. I bought this from a local nursery this size a couple months ago. So really have no idea how old it is. This is my first and only Sabal. I just really liked the coloring and shape to the leaves. Although a fan palm, the leaves tend to almost be ‘v’ shaped also which seemed unique to me.

14 minutes ago, redant said:

Great yard, lots of nice hardscaping and some sweet palms.

Thank you. Although I really love the feel of being inside a “jungle” garden, I am striving for more of the “resort” look. A resort with lots and lots of palms and cycads.  :D We want our backyard to be a great place to host bbq’s and backyard parties. Although once you get this palm addiction that we all have I think it becomes more and more difficult to maintain a “well groomed” palm garden and not have it turn into a jungle. So I think in time my backyard will sort of become a well groomed jungle. Haha! If that makes any sense.

• Like 1

Beautiful yard. 

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

You're achieving your goal of a resort look, very nice!. Good quality photography as well.

My garden is at the OTHER end of the spectrum, a jungle's jungle.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

12 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Next I will probably remove this Cycas revolta and replace with this Saba bermudana

While Cycas revoluta are pretty common as cycads go they are still attractive plants.  Consider the height of the plants you are growing and remember to keep some things which will remain more at eye level as you develop canopy.  The Encephalartos natalensis will do exactly that although for the next several years it may outpace your Dypsis decipiens until the decipiens gets fat enough to finally move up.  I say that from personal experience as I have a couple of E nat x horridus which are still outpacing my Dypsis decipiens with 9 years in the ground for the plants.  Depending on the palms adjacent to your C revoluta you may want to keep it rather than overcrowding your view upwards to appreciate the palms you already have planted.   I can appreciate the challenge when you love so many plants but have a finite amount of space to work with since I have a similar situation!

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

5 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Thank you. Although I really love the feel of being inside a “jungle” garden, I am striving for more of the “resort” look. A resort with lots and lots of palms and cycads.  :D We want our backyard to be a great place to host bbq’s and backyard parties. Although once you get this palm addiction that we all have I think it becomes more and more difficult to maintain a “well groomed” palm garden and not have it turn into a jungle. So I think in time my backyard will sort of become a well groomed jungle. Haha! If that makes any sense.

Is the resort open for bookings already?:lol: Great job!

13 hours ago, The Gerg said:

Then on the other side of the Brahea armata you saw the (gasp).....sago. And just next that I dug out a failed Dypsis ambositrae (its ok, I have another doing well) and put in this Hedyscepe canterburyana. I am hoping it will do ok in this location. May get a little sunburned at first but hopefully will shake it off.

2AF31B12-41C6-4B8A-8E09-534424C0B6A1.thumb.jpeg.c015b16f8d87c84aa101d98dea0e2f4f.jpeg

49E7BA29-AB3B-4A34-B6DC-6F328F4CD307.thumb.jpeg.9e08d90cd47f0cdc6b576175381950a0.jpeg

Btw, behind that sago is a Burretiokentia dumasii. The sago helps shade it for now.

How about that little blue Encephalartos?

3 hours ago, wimmie said:

Looks like a young trispinosis so don't plant too close to your walkway unless you want it biting legs!  :D

9 hours ago, Tracy said:

While Cycas revoluta are pretty common as cycads go they are still attractive plants.  Consider the height of the plants you are growing and remember to keep some things which will remain more at eye level as you develop canopy.  The Encephalartos natalensis will do exactly that although for the next several years it may outpace your Dypsis decipiens until the decipiens gets fat enough to finally move up.  I say that from personal experience as I have a couple of E nat x horridus which are still outpacing my Dypsis decipiens with 9 years in the ground for the plants.  Depending on the palms adjacent to your C revoluta you may want to keep it rather than overcrowding your view upwards to appreciate the palms you already have planted.   I can appreciate the challenge when you love so many plants but have a finite amount of space to work with since I have a similar situation!

This is good sound advice. We shall see if I’m wise enough to take it. There have been times where I wished I had put cycads where the two teddy bears are and kind of put some space between trees but I’ve come to appreciate that row of trees. So I don’t know, I just kind of want that fire pit area in the middle of the yard to be surrounded by palms. Technically I have more room (always room for more right? Haha) in there where I could add cycads for eye level appreciation.

10 hours ago, realarch said:

You're achieving your goal of a resort look, very nice!. Good quality photography as well.

My garden is at the OTHER end of the spectrum, a jungle's jungle.

Tim

Well like I said, I do also love a tropical jungle garden.  I would love to live in Hawaii.

9 hours ago, wimmie said:

Is the resort open for bookings already?:lol: Great job!

It will open next Spring. Half off for Palmtalkers. :floor:

8 hours ago, wimmie said:

5 hours ago, Tracy said:

Looks like a young trispinosis so don't plant too close to your walkway unless you want it biting legs!  :D

That one actually sold to me as E.Long. x E. Horridus hybrid. I have two about that same size. I do have several cycads that will eventually be biting legs. Oh well, sometimes you gotta throw caution to the wind. :winkie:

On 7/15/2019 at 10:04 AM, The Gerg said:

My hardscaping is limited to the screened in area. Truth is in FL it's hard to use outdoor areas particularly in the evening because of the bugs. Hence my yard went jungle. The is the open area approaching the jungle. The front is a way more manicured look. Back is about 1 acre total.

IMG_5776.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

IMG_5778.jpg

IMG_5779.jpg

• Like 5

Jupiter FL

Wow. You have a beautiful place. You’ve got the best of both worlds. I wish I had that much property.

1 hour ago, The Gerg said:

Wow. You have a beautiful place. You’ve got the best of both worlds. I wish I had that much property.

The amount of palm fronds I need to pick up daily makes me wonder sometimes if I went a bit overboard.:blink: 2.5 acres total.

Jupiter FL

3 hours ago, redant said:

Truth is in FL it's hard to use outdoor areas particularly in the evening because of the bugs.

That is the one thing we don't have here is a lot of biting bugs and mosquitoes.  We can't grow some things that love the humidity in Florida either so I guess there is a tradeoff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redant said:

The amount of palm fronds I need to pick up daily makes me wonder sometimes if I went a bit overboard.:blink: 2.5 acres total.

Absolutely gorgeous landscaping :drool:nice pool area too =) If you ever need a house sitter let me know haha 

• Like 1

T J 

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

That is the one thing we don't have here is a lot of biting bugs and mosquitoes.  We can't grow some things that love the humidity in Florida either so I guess there is a tradeoff.

Depends where in FL. I don't know if the city, county, drainage district or anyone else sprays here but I live on a large canal just under 2 miles from the Atlantic and hardly ever have insect any pests. I could leave the front door wide open at dusk and not have anything come in the house. IIRC back during the recession we had a year when there were some mosquitoes and I wondered if spraying that might have been routine was stopped due to budget cuts.  I have the same little can of deep woods "OFF" I bought at the time, haven't needed to use it more than a couple times in the past 10 years and I'm outside most of the time. Less bugs here than when I lived in a city up North.

1 hour ago, NOT A TA said:

Depends where in FL. I don't know if the city, county, drainage district or anyone else sprays here but I live on a large canal just under 2 miles from the Atlantic and hardly ever have insect any pests. I could leave the front door wide open at dusk and not have anything come in the house. IIRC back during the recession we had a year when there were some mosquitoes and I wondered if spraying that might have been routine was stopped due to budget cuts.  I have the same little can of deep woods "OFF" I bought at the time, haven't needed to use it more than a couple times in the past 10 years and I'm outside most of the time. Less bugs here than when I lived in a city up North.

I'm close to the river so no see ums can be rather annoying depending on the time of year.

Jupiter FL