TomJ

Dypsis Marojejyi New Leaf Color

TomJ

Walking around today I stopped to admire the new colorful leaf.

DSCF0132 (Large).jpeg

DSCF0136 (Large).jpeg

DSCF0137 (Large).jpeg

DSCF0141 (Large).jpeg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 4

Kim

So yours gives a salmon color? Mine is usually a dull maroon color. I expect they are quite variable, but alway thrilling!

• Like 1

quaman58

Very nice! The perfect looking palm. Hope mine gets as nice as yours soon. Then avoids the dreaded “sudden death syndrome “ that these are sometimes known for. Quirky things to grow around here for some reason..

Matt in OC

Mine’s a maroon color. 

CFB543DA-11DC-4822-AAF4-3A604F0CB6A5.jpeg

40BC0C59-7F48-4969-8106-2BEBCFE63692.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

TomJ
22 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

Mine’s a maroon color. 

CFB543DA-11DC-4822-AAF4-3A604F0CB6A5.jpeg

40BC0C59-7F48-4969-8106-2BEBCFE63692.jpeg

NICE!  Lets see what color mine turns once it is fully opened.

realarch

Glad to see this palm does so well for you in Ca., certainly a nice addition to any garden. Gotta love that colorful new leaf as well.

Tim

Darold Petty

I'm confused,  is D. marojejyi the same as D. coursii, or are they different species?  Thanks for your comments   

quaman58

Darold,

I’m going from memory here, as there are some much more astute guys on the forum regarding Dypsis. There was some discussion that what we’re growing was in fact coursii, I think based on the fact that it seemed to be a smaller palm than the marojejyi. (So yes, they are described as different palms). But after close examination of the flowers (at Floribunda I presume), they were ID’d to be in fact marojejyi. Anyway, that’s my feeble brains recollection.

bret 

• Like 1

Dypsisdean
2 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Darold,

I’m going from memory here, as there are some much more astute guys on the forum regarding Dypsis. There was some discussion that what we’re growing was in fact coursii, I think based on the fact that it seemed to be a smaller palm than the marojejyi. (So yes, they are described as different palms). But after close examination of the flowers (at Floribunda I presume), they were ID’d to be in fact marojejyi. Anyway, that’s my feeble brains recollection.

bret 

Yes Bret - I believe your "feeble brain" has the most recent appraisal of that situation correct. :) Which leaves me with the next question of "Does anyone have D. coursii in cultivation?"

It is a similar palm from much higher elevation - perhaps a great candidate for Calif. gardens.

Tracy
On 7/14/2019 at 12:51 PM, Dypsisdean said:

Which leaves me with the next question of "Does anyone have D. coursii in cultivation?"

It is a similar palm from much higher elevation - perhaps a great candidate for Calif. gardens.

If I could find the real deal I would be happy to be a beta site!  I think I could find room somewhere for it.  By the way, I had two that I acquired as marojejyi which suddenly died.  One here in Leucadia and one before that in Carlsbad.

palmad Merc

I'm about to germinate a few of these, live in coastal Sydney, thought I'd give them a go. Anyone tried germinating these, any tips? 

TomJ

Today

MF1.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

palmad Merc
11 minutes ago, TomJ said:

Today

MF1.JPG

Beautiful, i couldn't get any seed to germinate, hard buggers. What high temps has it been exposed to? 

TomJ

Seen 106 F.  Filtered sun at best.  Always kept wet.  Seems to grow better when it gets cool/cold at night. Slows down mid Summer. Loves water.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

palmad Merc
14 minutes ago, TomJ said:

Seen 106 F.  Filtered sun at best.  Always kept wet.  Seems to grow better when it gets cool/cold at night. Slows down mid Summer. Loves water.

Thanks for the advice, gonna have to find a plant somewhere, bloody hard to germinate 

Matt in OC
15 hours ago, TomJ said:

These generally match my observations as well.

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

Wow

killed coursii in my Death Camp

akamu

Thanks for sharing your pics. These palms are outstanding I had one die about the same size as Tom's beauty. I have known a few others in so cal with same SPD results .Glad to hear others are having better luck 

joe_OC

So none of your marojejyi are in full sun ever?  I have a primo spot that gets late afternoon sun.  Is that a "NO NO" for this palm?

TomJ
16 hours ago, joe_OC said:

So none of your marojejyi are in full sun ever?  I have a primo spot that gets late afternoon sun.  Is that a "NO NO" for this palm?

You are closer to the beach than me, so you have a better chance at direct exposure.  Others might have theirs in more exposure than mine. Maybe why mine grows so slow. ha ha

TomJ

It never gets old

DSCF0440 (Large).JPG

DSCF0442 (Large).JPG

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Tyrone

I need seed of this species, quick. Gotta grow it.

tim_brissy_13
2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I need seed of this species, quick. Gotta grow it.

It would be a perfect candidate for Albany I would think. I’ve been looking for it for a while to grow here in Melbourne. 

palmad Merc
8 minutes ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

It would be a perfect candidate for Albany I would think. I’ve been looking for it for a while to grow here in Melbourne. 

Bloody difficult to germinate 

Darold Petty

Touchy to grow, also.

akamu

Those looks great Tom and Matt for California I think the dense planting around it helps with the humidity keep us up on the progress of your palm how long has it been in the ground and how old do you think these are 

Matt in OC

@akamuMine has been in the ground since 2014 from a Floribunda 4". 

IMG_3260.jpeg

akamu
2 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

@akamuMine has been in the ground since 2014 from a Floribunda 4". 

IMG_3260.jpeg

That's impressive. I need to get my hands on another one. 

TomJ
5 hours ago, akamu said:

Those looks great Tom and Matt for California I think the dense planting around it helps with the humidity keep us up on the progress of your palm how long has it been in the ground and how old do you think these are 

Mine was planted out as a 3gl...a long time ago now.

seven or eight years is a guess.

It doesn't seem to grow tall for me but the base is getting fat.

Can't give it enough water.

• Like 1

Tyrone
19 hours ago, palmad Merc said:

Bloody difficult to germinate 

I’ve germinated them before, and they even grew a bit through a perth winter but I think they were dead by late spring in Perth. Too hot despite full shade and humidity. 

• Upvote 1

Matt in OC

No touch up required. 

1F2DF35D-CDAA-42FE-95DC-D50151C95640.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

John hovancsek

Got this guy 6-8 months ago as a 2 leaf seedling and getting ready to plant out soon. 

1593275906365558394519787838998.jpg

• Like 3

Hilo Jason
3 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

No touch up required. 

1F2DF35D-CDAA-42FE-95DC-D50151C95640.jpeg

Looking good as always! 

• Like 1

Hilo Jason
2 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Got this guy 6-8 months ago as a 2 leaf seedling and getting ready to plant out soon. 

1593275906365558394519787838998.jpg

Wow, if that was a 2 leaf seedling 6 months ago then you need to come and foster my 4” plant for 6-8 months for me!  Mine is barely growing! 

Looks great John. 

• Upvote 1