IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Marojejyi New Leaf Color

TomJ

Walking around today I stopped to admire the new colorful leaf.

DSCF0132 (Large).jpeg

DSCF0136 (Large).jpeg

DSCF0137 (Large).jpeg

DSCF0141 (Large).jpeg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 5

So yours gives a salmon color? Mine is usually a dull maroon color. I expect they are quite variable, but alway thrilling!

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Very nice! The perfect looking palm. Hope mine gets as nice as yours soon. Then avoids the dreaded “sudden death syndrome “ that these are sometimes known for. Quirky things to grow around here for some reason..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

22 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

Mine’s a maroon color. 

CFB543DA-11DC-4822-AAF4-3A604F0CB6A5.jpeg

40BC0C59-7F48-4969-8106-2BEBCFE63692.jpeg

NICE!  Lets see what color mine turns once it is fully opened.

Glad to see this palm does so well for you in Ca., certainly a nice addition to any garden. Gotta love that colorful new leaf as well.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I'm confused,  is D. marojejyi the same as D. coursii, or are they different species?  Thanks for your comments   

San Francisco, California

Darold,

I’m going from memory here, as there are some much more astute guys on the forum regarding Dypsis. There was some discussion that what we’re growing was in fact coursii, I think based on the fact that it seemed to be a smaller palm than the marojejyi. (So yes, they are described as different palms). But after close examination of the flowers (at Floribunda I presume), they were ID’d to be in fact marojejyi. Anyway, that’s my feeble brains recollection.

bret 

• Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

2 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Darold,

I’m going from memory here, as there are some much more astute guys on the forum regarding Dypsis. There was some discussion that what we’re growing was in fact coursii, I think based on the fact that it seemed to be a smaller palm than the marojejyi. (So yes, they are described as different palms). But after close examination of the flowers (at Floribunda I presume), they were ID’d to be in fact marojejyi. Anyway, that’s my feeble brains recollection.

bret 

Yes Bret - I believe your "feeble brain" has the most recent appraisal of that situation correct. :) Which leaves me with the next question of "Does anyone have D. coursii in cultivation?"

It is a similar palm from much higher elevation - perhaps a great candidate for Calif. gardens.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

On 7/14/2019 at 12:51 PM, Dypsisdean said:

Which leaves me with the next question of "Does anyone have D. coursii in cultivation?"

It is a similar palm from much higher elevation - perhaps a great candidate for Calif. gardens.

If I could find the real deal I would be happy to be a beta site!  I think I could find room somewhere for it.  By the way, I had two that I acquired as marojejyi which suddenly died.  One here in Leucadia and one before that in Carlsbad.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I'm about to germinate a few of these, live in coastal Sydney, thought I'd give them a go. Anyone tried germinating these, any tips? 

• 6 months later...
11 minutes ago, TomJ said:

Today

MF1.JPG

Beautiful, i couldn't get any seed to germinate, hard buggers. What high temps has it been exposed to? 

Seen 106 F.  Filtered sun at best.  Always kept wet.  Seems to grow better when it gets cool/cold at night. Slows down mid Summer. Loves water.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, TomJ said:

Seen 106 F.  Filtered sun at best.  Always kept wet.  Seems to grow better when it gets cool/cold at night. Slows down mid Summer. Loves water.

Thanks for the advice, gonna have to find a plant somewhere, bloody hard to germinate 

15 hours ago, TomJ said:

These generally match my observations as well.

• Upvote 1

Wow

killed coursii in my Death Camp

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks for sharing your pics. These palms are outstanding I had one die about the same size as Tom's beauty. I have known a few others in so cal with same SPD results .Glad to hear others are having better luck 

• 2 months later...

So none of your marojejyi are in full sun ever?  I have a primo spot that gets late afternoon sun.  Is that a "NO NO" for this palm?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

16 hours ago, joe_OC said:

So none of your marojejyi are in full sun ever?  I have a primo spot that gets late afternoon sun.  Is that a "NO NO" for this palm?

You are closer to the beach than me, so you have a better chance at direct exposure.  Others might have theirs in more exposure than mine. Maybe why mine grows so slow. ha ha

• 1 month later...

I need seed of this species, quick. Gotta grow it.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

I need seed of this species, quick. Gotta grow it.

It would be a perfect candidate for Albany I would think. I’ve been looking for it for a while to grow here in Melbourne. 

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

8 minutes ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

It would be a perfect candidate for Albany I would think. I’ve been looking for it for a while to grow here in Melbourne. 

Bloody difficult to germinate 

Those looks great Tom and Matt for California I think the dense planting around it helps with the humidity keep us up on the progress of your palm how long has it been in the ground and how old do you think these are 

2 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

@akamuMine has been in the ground since 2014 from a Floribunda 4". 

IMG_3260.jpeg

That's impressive. I need to get my hands on another one. 

5 hours ago, akamu said:

Those looks great Tom and Matt for California I think the dense planting around it helps with the humidity keep us up on the progress of your palm how long has it been in the ground and how old do you think these are 

Mine was planted out as a 3gl...a long time ago now.

seven or eight years is a guess.

It doesn't seem to grow tall for me but the base is getting fat.

Can't give it enough water.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, palmad Merc said:

Bloody difficult to germinate 

I’ve germinated them before, and they even grew a bit through a perth winter but I think they were dead by late spring in Perth. Too hot despite full shade and humidity. 

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 4 weeks later...

Got this guy 6-8 months ago as a 2 leaf seedling and getting ready to plant out soon. 

1593275906365558394519787838998.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

Got this guy 6-8 months ago as a 2 leaf seedling and getting ready to plant out soon. 

1593275906365558394519787838998.jpg

Wow, if that was a 2 leaf seedling 6 months ago then you need to come and foster my 4” plant for 6-8 months for me!  Mine is barely growing! 

Looks great John. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

I got a nice surprise on my Marojejyi this morning! 

07245D92-AF0B-49CC-887B-0BD394CE7FE4.jpeg

6BC63E89-8AF3-4BA8-8A00-E1CAF7D95E47.jpeg

FC6DFBCF-D913-4FF4-A150-893430D460A3.jpeg

Quite impressive Matt.  Like Adam, this is one I need to try again.  I killed one while I still lived in Carlsbad, probably damp cold during winter, and the second I killed after bringing a potted one to Leucadia.  The challenge will be finding a spot to plant it.

• Upvote 1

I’ve held off on trying one of these for so long. I think it’s time I try. You guys are growing some spectacular specimens. 

• Upvote 1

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 4 months later...

@Matt in OC yours is getting big.  Good job.

Mine is right on it's heels pushing two spears at the moment.

Whenever they decide to open I'll bump this.

11 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Whee!

C3AE8B52-2558-4703-9105-0811A93D5E46.jpeg

ED3A8B6B-B34D-4FE8-8CE9-9991080A8C60.jpeg

No excuses for me not to try this one again once I carve out a spot in the garden for it.  Great work Matt!

• Upvote 1