IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer Hot and Humidity

bubba

Whose hotter this July 13, 2019:

Florida

Western Palm Beach County location/97F with 80% humidity; Lake Port/Moore Haven/98F at 76% humidity 

Texas

Galveston/91F with 65% humidity;Corpus Christi/101F with 46% humidity; Brownsville/100F with 44% h; Reyes/110F w 37% h

Arizona

Tucson/104F w 30% h;Phoenix/111F w 20% h;Yuma/103 w 33% h; Bullhead City/117F w 12% h

California

La Quinta/108F w 31% h; Brawley/107F w 37% h; Desert Hot Springs/111F w 14% h; Needles/111F w 7% h; La Jolla/69F w 85% h!

Nevada 

Laughlin/113F w 15% h; Searchlight/109F w 2% h; Henderson/112F w 16% h; Las Vegas 110 w 9% h

Note: The temperatures were going up so fast out West it was difficult to keep up and this was 3 hours earlier than EST! Got to love La Jolla!

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

Those are some pretty hot temps, especially considering locations near water, I was looking at the same thing myself. I would be curious to see the dew point rather than % humidity though, as the dew point is a better indication of how much water vapor is actually in the air. 

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Here are the TX dew point readings from yesterday

Brownsville/101F with 71F dew point

South Padre Island/93F with 79F dew point

Kingsville/102F with 68F dew point 

Corpus Christi Intl/100F with 67F dew point

Corpus Christi NAS/99F with 71F dew point

Galveston/92F with 74F dew point

• Upvote 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Dew Point is the bottom-line standard for a “uncomfortable index”. That stated, the Heat Index applied to the temperatures yesterday afternoon EST does reveal some interesting results.

Moore Haven, on the NW side of Lake Okeechobee, had a Heat Index of between 130F-136F. Reyes, Tx. had a Heat Index of between 130F-137F. Bullhead, Az (117 air temperature) actually had a Heat Index less than the air temperature. Brawley, Ca. experienced a Heat Index between 118F-123F. Laughlin, Nv. at 113F at 13% h. had a Heat Index lower than the air temperature.

Next time I will check Dew Point.

2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

79F dew point is pretty high!  The highest is usually gets here is around 76-77F.

That 79F dew point is actually the dew point recorded during the hottest part of the day (the 93F high).  Evening dew points at South Padre for this time of year run 80-82F.  Low temps are also in the low 80s.

The Rio Grande Valley is definitely oppressive. Avg highs are a few degrees hotter than FL (mid-high 90s) and dew points/low temps are more or less the same. The region doesn't get any significant rainfall until Sept/Oct and the inland parts are actually classified as semi-arid despite it still being very humid. 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

2 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

79F dew point is pretty high!  The highest is usually gets here is around 76-77F.

Orlando should get a little higher than that I think, New York occasionally gets dew points into the 80’s. A few years ago the dew point at JFK Airport hit 84°F, which set a record.

So far this summer my highest dew point is 81°F.

• Like 1

Highest Dew Points in World and US:

Dhahran, Saudi Arabia =95 DP on 7/8/2003, which constitutes a 161F Heat Index

Moorehead, Minnesota= 88 DP on 7/19/2011

unsubstantiated:

Appleton,Wisconsin= 90 DP on 7/13/1995

Melbourne, Florida= 91 DP on 7/12/1987

New Orleans,Louisiana= 90F on 7/30/1987

Chicago, Illinois= 83 F on 7/30/1999

A start...

• Like 1

Nothing special here just low to mid 90s and humidity ranging from 70 to 100%. Nothing new and business as usual in July here in the DMV.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Going to be 100° here Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with high humidity. Dew will probably be 78-80. Today will be 97° with humidity. Great for the palms.

Dew point is at 80°F right now, heat index already 101°F and it isn’t even 10 AM yet.

Should make run at 100°F this weekend, heat indices should be greater than 110°F.

Heat like that has been here for what feels like forever. I LOVE IT! Wife's cousin from up north not so much lol...especially sitting on the deck yesterday evening.

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

At 1:20 PM it's 89 F with index of 98 here in beautiful S FL.   My friends up North in New England never believe me when I tell them it's often cooler here on the East coast of S FL than it is up north this time of year. Breeze off the Atlantic cooled by the Gulf Stream being just off shore does the trick! I don't recall it ever going above 93 at my home since '05. The down side is that because it's a desirable area to live homes are more expensive.

• Like 1

1.20pm. 95.7F with  80% humidity. Feels like 113F. Dew point 83 degrees. 

Dewpoints around Orlando vary due to lakes and microclimate. Low to mid 70s are average but those are recorded on concrete runways. I regularly get upper 70s to 80 I'm my backyard but I have lots of green, a pool, and am off a big lake. A rain shower just came through. 

Screenshot_20190721-150558_Chrome.jpg

NYC/Long Island’s dew points are largely influenced by the warm Atlantic, the average dew point this time of year is 70°F, but we do regularly see upper 70’s, and 80’s are starting to happen more regularly.

2nd day in a row of Persian Gulf weather:

BC742157-EA33-4383-A363-F46A26889480.thumb.jpeg.8a0155724a16b92171115f8d0494632f.jpeg

• Like 2

Ready for something totally different.

Clackamas Oregon,

Temp 80F as of 3:20PM

Humidity 32%

Dewpoint 60F

Pretty typical summer weather here.