Jump to content
Allen

My backyard video tour

Recommended Posts

Allen

Taken June 29th this year.

:08 Canna Indica Red (to right)  :43 Pygmy Date :52 Mule Palm  :34 Bissetti Bamboo  1:11 Aloha Colocasia  1:28 Trachycarpus Fortunei  1:39 Sabal Birmingham  2:01 Hibiscus Cranberry Crush  2:14 Trachycarpus Wagerianus  2:33 Pineapple Lilly  2:48 Colocasia Fallax & Canna Pink Starburst  2:56 Musa Lasiocarpa  3:08 Alocasia Portora 3:26 Canna Lemon Punch, Ensete Maurelii 3:30 Sabal Louisiana  3:58 Sabal Palmetto Mocksville  4:06 Canna Red Hubert 4:10 Colocasia Coffee Cups  4:12 Canna Tropicanna 4:50 Canna Maui Punch on ground, Sabal Minor to right Sabal Birmingham on left and Fortunei in back, Musa Basjoo large bananna in center - Lots more not noted  

 

 

Edited by Allen
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

Very impressive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ

Excellent! Great use of colors too. I like all the little presents tucked away in corners. Fantastic z7 garden.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm crazy

Looks more like tropical z8 than z7.  :greenthumb: Really like that dark leafy elephant ear in the pot. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tropicdoc

Goals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tropicdoc

I must admit when the mule first came into view I thought it was a coconut!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B

Wow. Fantastic. I’m going to have to watch this a few more times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WestCoastGal

Beautifully done. Love the variety and color. How long do you think you'll be able to keep the mule in that pot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
newtopalmsMD

This is Beautiful!!! Which plants can be left in the ground all winter (other than the palms, presumably cold hardy hibiscus, and the musa bajoo?)  How do you avoid disturbing the roots of the plants that can stay in the ground when lifting the plants that need overwintering indoors?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen
1 hour ago, newtopalmsMD said:

This is Beautiful!!! Which plants can be left in the ground all winter (other than the palms, presumably cold hardy hibiscus, and the musa bajoo?)  How do you avoid disturbing the roots of the plants that can stay in the ground when lifting the plants that need overwintering indoors?

 

They all come back except the Ensete Mauerelii & Alocasia Portora so most everything you see stays out there except 4 plants in the video.  Elephant ear (Colocasia) and Canna lilly do fine coming back.

Edited by Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen
9 hours ago, WestCoastGal said:

Beautifully done. Love the variety and color. How long do you think you'll be able to keep the mule in that pot?

Not much longer maybe one more year.  I do have some super large plastic pots I might put it in.  I may try it in the ground but I don't know if I'm up to protecting it that much and large.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen
9 hours ago, Chester B said:

Wow. Fantastic. I’m going to have to watch this a few more times. 

Thanks there are several more plants in there I didn't name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The3ngineer

Top notch! Very well thought out, I would spend all day out there. Thanks for including a glossary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PlantDad

that looks so good. i hope my backyard looks like that some day. how do you care for the pygmy date palms? and particularly how much cold can they take?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen
1 hour ago, PlantDad said:

that looks so good. i hope my backyard looks like that some day. how do you care for the pygmy date palms? and particularly how much cold can they take?

They go inside garage around 35F or so.  They might can take below freezing but I'm not gonna chance it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PlantDad
13 hours ago, Allen said:

They go inside garage around 35F or so.  They might can take below freezing but I'm not gonna chance it.

 

 

oh ok that is good to know. thank you. do you have a lot of humidity where you live? because if i think i have heard about some people getting away with growing them outside in zone 8b in parts of california. california is also dryer and less humid than the east coast. also do they grow really slow because i have a triplet that is much smaller than yours and the biggest trunk has only opened on leaf in the 2+ months i have had it. it is now working on its second leaf and it is very slow to open it. it may be a lighting thing also. i have them in a west facing window on a stand that is slightly below the bottom of the window. a 3 trunks are tall enough to get most of the direct sun that comes through it and i also have a supplimental led grow light on them for over 12 hours of the day. i move the light once a week to different spots to make sure all 3 get light from it. i also switch the bulb from natural daylight 5000k to the yellower light that is around 2300k about every 3 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen
4 hours ago, PlantDad said:

oh ok that is good to know. thank you. do you have a lot of humidity where you live? because if i think i have heard about some people getting away with growing them outside in zone 8b in parts of california. california is also dryer and less humid than the east coast. also do they grow really slow because i have a triplet that is much smaller than yours and the biggest trunk has only opened on leaf in the 2+ months i have had it. it is now working on its second leaf and it is very slow to open it. it may be a lighting thing also. i have them in a west facing window on a stand that is slightly below the bottom of the window. a 3 trunks are tall enough to get most of the direct sun that comes through it and i also have a supplimental led grow light on them for over 12 hours of the day. i move the light once a week to different spots to make sure all 3 get light from it. i also switch the bulb from natural daylight 5000k to the yellower light that is around 2300k about every 3 weeks.

Outside mine grow pretty fast.  maybe it needs to be outside more.  I also use osmocote on the pots.  There is lots of humidity here for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PlantDad
8 hours ago, Allen said:

Outside mine grow pretty fast.  maybe it needs to be outside more.  I also use osmocote on the pots.  There is lots of humidity here for sure.

maybe it does need to be outside more. it is probably still not getting as much light as it prefers. i do fertilize also, i use foxfarm's grow big liquid fertilizer. it is absolutely amazing. from you telling me that yours grow fast outside makes me think light may be an issue, and the fact that we both fertilize but yours grows faster also leads me to believe it is a light problem. thank you for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×