LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Maryland Palms - July Update

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Sabal ‘Louisiana’ #1

This little guy is growing slowly but surely. The spear in the middle is starting to make itself more prominent. 

28350AD3-1001-4264-BDCF-AB4501E3B1F7.jpeg

• Like 4

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Sabal Minor ‘McCurtain’

This thing is a slug haha. I think it has new growth but I’m not 100% positive. 

6AFEDC30-FCDA-4571-9BDD-08B69897C8CE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’ #1

This thing is growing at a moderate rate and seems to be happy. It’s recovering nicely from the weed whacker incident. 

0BE646AF-42FB-4E0B-85DF-3BEEF7E93ACF.jpeg

884D69FD-48D5-4C5A-9870-CC19F4526898.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Sabal ‘Louisiana’ #2

This guy is the fastest growing of my sabals. Though still quite slow. I’m impressed with its growth so far!

017622C0-EE7E-4914-9E10-205FC3ABD465.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Musa Basjoo

These guys are a lot more full, but still pretty small. I hope they gain more height this year! 

B9D2CC1C-1C50-48AA-B4E2-D5E8FEC9FC50.jpeg

304F66C6-AAC0-4A57-9ED3-AD8105BE86E0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Sabal Uresana

Slow, but that center spear is nice and thick. The picture doesn’t do it much justice. 

D8C7AD21-5135-4C82-9400-9AE19634D8BE.jpeg

• Like 4

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Sabal Palmetto ‘Mocksville’ 

Slow, but split leaflets! 

63726055-EA54-4F2A-8F7D-7D0DFD6E9EE5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Trachycarpus Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’ #2

Nice thick leaves and moderate growth rate! Probably my fastest palm!

551A915C-109D-4E11-BBD6-FACC78B2B5A4.jpeg

• Like 5

kinzyjr

@LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Very nice stuff!  Not sure how wet it has been in your neck of the woods or around the McCurtains, but they seem to grow well when they are consistently moist to damp here.  If you want to know for sure if the plants are growing, put a small mark on the spear where it is emerging with a permanent marker.  In a few weeks, it should be higher than it was.

• Like 2

LasPalmerasDeMaryland
5 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Very nice stuff!  Not sure how wet it has been in your neck of the woods or around the McCurtains, but they seem to grow well when they are consistently moist to damp here.  If you want to know for sure if the plants are growing, put a small mark on the spear where it is emerging with a permanent marker.  In a few weeks, it should be higher than it was.

I may get one of these: https://images.app.goo.gl/8iYsK67KECCjjqLg7

hopefully that’ll keep it moist haha. 

• Like 1

Swolte
2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

@LasPalmerasDeMaryland

If you want to save on permanent marker, I always get a straight-looking twig and then I break it to (approx) the exact length of the spear. Then I put the measurement twig underneath the name tag and check for growth a couple of weeks later.
:)

• Like 2

PalmatierMeg

Looking good. It appears you mulched some palms but not others and weeds are crowding in. I suggest you weed a 2’ circle around them and add 2-3” of mulch so they don’t consume nutrients and moisture.

• Like 3

Chester B
5 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Looking good. It appears you mulched some palms but not others and weeds are crowding in. I suggest you weed a 2’ circle around them and add 2-3” of mulch so they don’t consume nutrients and moisture.

+1

Allen

All looks good.  The Basjoo seem to be real small unless you bought them Really little.  These usually get 6' plus in the 1st year.  They need really rich soil and a really large space as the mat/(Bulbs) expand.  They look to be too close to the foundation.  The 'mat' will get 5-10' wide in 3 years.  I would plant on a compost rich mound next year in a bigger area.