IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help in ID of Palm

Hombre de Palmas

Hello Everyone

I need some help in identifying this palm. I have tried to ID it by looking around the neighborhood, or checking images on the net, but have come up with an exact match. The frond stems are not thorny.

Many Thanks

Palm 1.jpg

Palm 2.jpg

Palm 3.jpg

Could it be Ravenea rivularis?

• Like 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

12 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

Ravanea?

I'm thinking you are correct. For some reason that did not cross my mind.

Thank you very much for your responses. Now I have to go break the news to my wife who hates Majesties in the landscape.

2 hours ago, Hombre de Palmas said:

I'm thinking you are correct. For some reason that did not cross my mind.

Thank you very much for your responses. Now I have to go break the news to my wife who hates Majesties in the landscape.

There is no reason to hate on that palm looks very well grown =) 

• Like 2

T J 

3 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

There is no reason to hate on that palm looks very well grown =) 

I agree, but I need to be strategic in my approach, since happy wife, happy life is my guiding principle!

Funny thing, she loves Beaucarnia recurvata and her main objection to the Ravenea is the swollen base. The other issue is, that they tend to be kind of ratty if not fertilized and watered (which is not a problem in our landscape). She sees a lot of them in the area that are not cared for properly, and that has somewhat colored her feelings. Anyway, she was not happy when I told her, but she hates killing things, so she came up with the idea of planting Thunbergia laurifolia to adorn the trunk as it matures. I was thinking the same thing, but I did not want to push the idea on her.:D

There seems to be a big variability in height on some of the landscape specimens around here, even in groupings in the same yard, and that poses a challenge.  At this point, I expect we will pay our quarter and take our ride.

1 hour ago, Hombre de Palmas said:

I agree, but I need to be strategic in my approach, since happy wife, happy life is my guiding principle! 

Strategic + approach + wife???  Not lookin' good.

• Like 1