Eric in Orlando

Stromanthe jacquinii- a Heliconia-like Marantaceae

Eric in Orlando

Stromanthe jacquinii is currently flowering at Leu Gardens. It is a tall growing Maranataceae that grows 5-7ft tall and is native from Nicaragua to Ecuador. It forms dense clumps and is very Heliconia-like. Its a great tropical plant for shady locations.

marant1.jpg

marant2.jpg

marant3.jpg

• Like 10

krishnaraoji88

Just planted one of these. Thanks for the photos!

• Upvote 1

santoury

Beautiful! 

Where are you guys getting them? I collect Marantaceae, and have not been able to find this one. 

Thank you! 

• Like 1

annafl
4 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

Stromanthe jacquinii is currently flowering at Leu Gardens. It is a tall growing Maranataceae that grows 5-7ft tall and is native from Nicaragua to Ecuador. It forms dense clumps and is very Heliconia-like. Its a great tropical plant for shady locations.

marant1.jpg

marant2.jpg

marant3.jpg

Gorgeous!  I hadn't seen this one before.  I'm always looking for colorful tropicals that tolerate our shade and borderline 9b/10a microclimate.  Eric, has it been through a winter or two at Leu?

santoury

Thanks a bunch! I actually just got an order from him. Thanks

Eric in Orlando
20 hours ago, santoury said:

Beautiful! 

Where are you guys getting them? I collect Marantaceae, and have not been able to find this one. 

Thank you! 

Someone donated this years ago. I have never come across it for sale.

Eric in Orlando
19 hours ago, annafl said:

Gorgeous!  I hadn't seen this one before.  I'm always looking for colorful tropicals that tolerate our shade and borderline 9b/10a microclimate.  Eric, has it been through a winter or two at Leu?

It has been in the ground for almost 20 years. It is very easy to grow. Below around 29-30 will freeze it back but it regrows quickly.

• Like 3

annafl
5 hours ago, Eric in Orlando said:

It has been in the ground for almost 20 years. It is very easy to grow. Below around 29-30 will freeze it back but it regrows quickly.

Thanks so much, Eric.  I love it when you post interesting plants from Leu.  Our garden's conditions are very close to yours, so it gives me ideas of what out of the ordinary things will survive here!  Thanks again.

• Upvote 1

Palmarum

Very nice. I haven't seen it for sale either, but if the name does appear I will have to get one.

Ryan

Eric in Orlando

I wonder how this would propagate with tissue culture. A number of other Marantaceae are in TC propagation.

• Like 1

jimmyt

You are right.  It sure does look like a heliconia.   Good looking plant for sure!

raimeiken
On 7/10/2019 at 10:56 AM, annafl said:

Do these require high humidity? 

Can you sell me a rhizome? I'd love to try growing this here in AZ

NOT A TA

Great looking plant, I never saw one of those!

Donald Sanders

You can grow these from a cutting, real easy.