IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coccothrinax doinker

Tracy

I planted this hybrid Coccothrinax in February 2018 and everything looked normal.  There was a small plant in the pot with it which was from a second seedling of the same plant, so i was getting 2 for 1 I thought.  Well fast forward and the main plant kept leaning to the side.  Attempts to straighten it were unsuccessful because it was solid, not flopping over.  I thought I was going to lose the plant, and finally decided to prop it on a decorative rock once it was essentially horizontal.  I finally can see what was making it lean to the side, it was growing a doinker which was pushing it the main trunk off to the side.  It's very strange.  I ended up looking up to see what species of Coccothrinax clump and see that pumila and fageldei are thought to clump.  The plant was thought to be a hybrid of Coccothrinax borhidiana with another unknown species.  While I've seen plenty of doinkers on Dypsis species, this was a new one on me.  Anyone else seen anything like this with a Coccothrinax?

20180210-104A8553-2.jpg

20190705-104A4110.jpg

20190705-104A4112.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Closer up of that doinker and a little different angle so you can see the deformed new leaves emerging.

20190709-104A4130.jpg

It appears that the palm decided to start a new growing point and expel the original growth.

Unusual indeed and I have never seen this.....at least in my experience.

I had that same thing happen to one of my Sabals.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

If the original point keeps on growing, then you'll end up with a 2-headed Coccothrinax.  Maybe this is how other unique 2, 3 and 4 headed Pindos, Queens and Phoenix start?

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 6:32 AM, Merlyn2220 said:

If the original point keeps on growing, then you'll end up with a 2-headed Coccothrinax.

I may have 3 growth points either that or one plant with two growth points and a third plant.  The original plant is pushing out a new leaf which can't be seen in the photos while the smaller plant that was always emerging from a subterranean growth point is pushing a new leaf as well as the doinker.  Very peculiar. 

20190810-104A4488.jpg

20190810-104A4489.jpg

• Like 1

Weird!  Any trauma to the main growth point at any time?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

12 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Weird!  Any trauma to the main growth point at any time?

Not that I am aware while it was in my custody.

I have had young Coccothrinax do the same thing from not long after the first few fronds.  Many times the original growth point died. That was my experience anyway. 

David