IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm sites in SC, GA, FL

NC_Palms

I will be spending some time in the Sea Islands of SC, GA, and FL for school and I was wondering what are the must see sites in the region to see palms? I have already planned out seeing Cumberland Island, GA, The Coastal Georgia Botanical Gardens and Saint Augustine (not for the palms, I just love the history).  What else am I missing? 

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

If you were able to get in contact with him, Dr. John Rossi's garden is in Hastings not too far from St. Augustine.  That would be a good garden for you to see.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

If you were able to get in contact with him, Dr. John Rossi's garden is in Hastings not too far from St. Augustine.  That would be a good garden for you to see.

Thank you! Isn't Dr. Rossi involved with the palm societies down in Florida? I was thinking of joining the First Coast Palm Society since I will be nearby. 

29 minutes ago, NickRB223 said:

Riverbanks Zoo, Columbia SC. 

Thank you! I'll have to check that out

• Like 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Maybe the  palm garden at the college in Jacksonville on Beach Blvd.

• Like 1

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

Hilton Head Island, the entire island has many palms, a lot of zone 9a+ palms on the island that do perfectly fine there. Also visit Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge if you ever get the chance, lots of South Carolina Sabal palmetto in habitat, and the island is simply fun to visit. I love the South Carolina Low Country! It is like the transition zone from the South to the Deep South. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

I’ve heard Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina has a very interesting coastal forest with many sabal palmettos. I did see that Hurricane Matthew in 2016 did some damage there unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Steve the palmreader said:

Maybe the  palm garden at the college in Jacksonville on Beach Blvd.

Thanks! I will have to look into that. What college is it nearby?

22 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Hilton Head Island, the entire island has many palms, a lot of zone 9a+ palms on the island that do perfectly fine there. Also visit Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge if you ever get the chance, lots of South Carolina Sabal palmetto in habitat, and the island is simply fun to visit. I love the South Carolina Low Country! 

Of course! I'll be super close to Hilton Head so I definitely plan on spending a lot of time there. I've been to Hilton Head many times before on vacation and I love it. I've never been to Pickney Island yet but I'll have to check that out. Thank you! 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

1 minute ago, sevapalms said:

I’ve heard Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina has a very interesting coastal forest with many sabal palmettos. I did see that Hurricane Matthew in 2016 did some damage there unfortunately.

Thank you! I have been to Hunting Island a few years back and I loved it! South Carolina and Florida hands down have the best state parks. 

• Upvote 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

2 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

South Carolina and Florida hands down have the best state parks. 

I agree! Some state parks in those states are truly breathtaking and you sometimes feel like you’re in a jungle.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sevapalms said:

I agree! Some state parks in those states are truly breathtaking and you sometimes feel like you’re in a jungle.

Even some of the ones far inland give you a jungle feel. 

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude

Having moved from 9a to 9b/10a I was stunned by the additional possibilities in species.  The further south you go, the more palm species and the more tropical.  I think less than 5% of palm species can take 9a.  Leu Gardens in Orlando would be a great choice if you cant get down to Fairchild in Miami.  And there are many beautiful gardens in private homes in central and south florida.  If you find yourself in st pete, Kopsick is a nice garden to visit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Washington Oaks State Park https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/washington-oaks-gardens-state-park

Has a nice garden with many tropicals and beautiful live oak canopy and trail along the intracoastal and rocks on the oceanfront.  How do you visit Dr. Rossi's garden?  I live in St. Augustine, I'd love to see it.

• Like 1

Lou St. Aug, FL

13 minutes ago, Lou-StAugFL said:

Washington Oaks State Park https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/washington-oaks-gardens-state-park

Has a nice garden with many tropicals and beautiful live oak canopy and trail along the intracoastal and rocks on the oceanfront.  How do you visit Dr. Rossi's garden?  I live in St. Augustine, I'd love to see it.

I went on a CFPACS visit.  Since it is a private garden, you'd have to get his permission to visit.  Short of that, I did post threads in the Affiliates News and Meeting Dates and in the Travel Logs from our visit:

CFPACS Visit

Travel Log

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

If you’re already going to be in the area, you might as well stop by The Villiage on St. Simons and maybe head down to Jekyll. Since you like history you’ll probably enjoy visiting the Jekyll Island Club and surrounding area.

Neither if these areas have much in the way of palms. They’re fine, but not like what you get further south.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 1

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Go to Savannah many old style buildings and cool courtyard gardens to look into. Many old live oaks and palms. You can also go to wormsloe state park in Savannah. The entrance is lined with old live oaks and there are trails with palmetto that have a jungle feel. Tybee is nice to see many 9a palms and plants such as queens. 

788AD09C-B3C5-4A6E-B329-E8123F576127.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Also check out Charleston for some good history. The fort Sumter ferry is worth it the fort is like a large museum and at the mouth of the bay.  I also suggest going to Martha Lou’s kitchen for the best southern food in Charleston. Some of the best food I have had.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 4:04 PM, sonoranfans said:

Having moved from 9a to 9b/10a I was stunned by the additional possibilities in species.  The further south you go, the more palm species and the more tropical.  I think less than 5% of palm species can take 9a.  Leu Gardens in Orlando would be a great choice if you cant get down to Fairchild in Miami.  And there are many beautiful gardens in private homes in central and south florida.  If you find yourself in st pete, Kopsick is a nice garden to visit.

Thank you! Ive been trying to plan a visit to Fairchild for a while now. Maybe when I get a longer weekend, i’ll take a drive to Miami and check it out. 

2 hours ago, Lou-StAugFL said:

Thanks for recommending that state park. I never heard of it and I am sure to give it a visit. 

59 minutes ago, RedRabbit said:

If you’re already going to be in the area, you might as well stop by The Villiage on St. Simons and maybe head down to Jekyll. Since you like history you’ll probably enjoy visiting the Jekyll Island Club and surrounding area.

Neither if these areas have much in the way of palms. They’re fine, but not like what you get further south.

Coming from NC and originally PA, The Sea Islands are definitely an upgrade in palm diversity! 

But thank you for your recommendations. I’ve only driven through the Georgia coastline once, so I’m super excited that I will have some time to actually explore it. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

@Nj Palms Thank you! I’ve visited Charleston once but that was a while back before I was bitten by the palm bug. Im looking forward to seeing it again with a new perspective. 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

5 hours ago, Nj Palms said:

Also check out Charleston for some good history. The fort Sumter ferry is worth it the fort is like a large museum and at the mouth of the bay.  I also suggest going to Martha Lou’s kitchen for the best southern food in Charleston. Some of the best food I have had.

Agreed, Charleston is probably the best city in the US for history since so much of it has been preserved. 

@NC_Palms what’s the trip for? Are you looking at schools or a project for a school you’re already in?

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

On 7/12/2019 at 12:17 AM, RedRabbit said:

@NC_Palms what’s the trip for? Are you looking at schools or a project for a school you’re already in?

Yep I am transferring schools 

• Like 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC