IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What Date Seeds Are These?

PalmTreeDude

Does anyone know why these date seeds are seem so long and thin? Most of the dates that I eat are labeled Medjool and have larger seeds that are wider and larger than these. Are these just a different variety? Here is a picture of the package they came in and the seeds themselves. 

20190707_143646.jpg

20190709_111935.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude

If the fruit is thick and flavorful, likely Medjool.  If it is kind of dry and grainy, probably Deglet Noor.  Not sure of the other varieties they might grow out there, but those are the two varieties I've picked up at the store.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

These date are most likely Deglet Noor.  I don't believe that Medjool is dryed and packaged, I  have only seen them sold fresh and loose. I strongly prefer the Medjool date.

The surface of Deglet Noor (epicarp) is golden amber in color, while Medjool is more plum to purple color.

Now If I could only acquire some Barhi dates ! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

14 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

If the fruit is thick and flavorful, likely Medjool.  If it is kind of dry and grainy, probably Deglet Noor.  Not sure of the other varieties they might grow out there, but those are the two varieties I've picked up at the store.

Agree w/ kinzyjr, tough to say exactly which variety. Used to have a better feel for the varieties grown back in CA but honestly not a huge fan of Dates myself..  That said, our super rare Black Sphinx is my personal favorite. While seed grown plants couldn't ( and shouldn't )  be called the same thing, would encourage anyone to get your hands on seed of this variety if you can. Think they are sold w/ seed intact locally. Black Sphinx itself may disappear in the future. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

These date are most likely Deglet Noor.  I don't believe that Medjool is dryed and packaged, I  have only seen them sold fresh and loose. I strongly prefer the Medjool date.

The surface of Deglet Noor (epicarp) is golden amber in color, while Medjool is more plum to purple color.

Might check out / contact Sphinx Date Co.  Palm Pantry here in Phoenix in September-October. They have Barhi listed in the "specialty dates"  section of their website.. 

Maybe you can send a picture of the dates? To me the seeds and what I can see of the fruit looks like deglet noor, the dates I buy. I just germinated a seed that looks just like those. 

Nixon had a list of all imported varieties in the USA.  I think possible identity also one common Egyptian variety, but I do not remember name.

3 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Amazon is selling Barhi dates.  Do you know if the trees will come true from seed?

Just now, Chester B said:

Amazon is selling Barhi dates.  Do you know if the trees will come true from seed?

They don't come true to type from seeds - only offsets.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Just now, kinzyjr said:

They don't come true to type from seeds - only offsets.

Too bad.  I heard female date palms of name varieties are pricey and hard to get.

Here are the dates, they were not as good as the ones labeled medjool, but I couldn't tell if that was because of the (unlabeled) variety or because they were stored for a long time or something like that. They are kind of tough. 

15626982968928954887701286223736.jpg

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Like 1

PalmTreeDude

Just now, PalmTreeDude said:

Here are the dates, they were not as good as the ones labeled medjool, but I couldn't tell if that was because of the (unlabeled) variety or because they were stored for a long time or something like that. They are kind of tough. 

I'm 99% sure that's Deglet Noor now.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

Yep, those are Deglet Noor.  How unfortunate that the least good date is the most available !  :(   Honestly I wouldn't care for dates If I had only eaten Deglet Noor! 

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

I didn't realize the difference until today.  For sure the deglet noor is the worst.

Yup that's Deglet Noor and I'm eating some right now. I have never tired medjool and so with nothing to compare them to, Deglet Noor tastes good to me.

16 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Deglet Noor. I myself are not a fan of that variety. 

I've had both.  I heavily prefer Medjool as well.  They are often referred to as the "Cadillac of dates", meaning a premium product.

Lakeland, FL

About 15 or 18 years back,after consuming the fruit part of the same dates as seen in the above stills.I had germinated quite some saplings of this variety.And had them distributed most to like minded friends here,who loved to grow date palm trees.But unfortunately the one planted in our garden which has become quite big now turned out to be a male date palm.The trunk of this variety is really big and carries lot of silvery blue leaves which hardly dries up that easily.I would suggest you all refrain from growing this variety in your house. Rather buy offshoots from High yield varieties carrying less of leaves.And planting male and female date palms in the same property.

Here is the trimming video of that palm..

https://youtu.be/nT9M7R6Rcic

love conquers all..

43278.gif