IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida visit September

Exotic Life

Hi all,

It is more or less decided that I will visit Florida this September for 2,5/3 weeks and I was wondering if you people have some nice suggestions to see and visit. 
I know that the keys/everglades are beautifull, Miami/Orlando are fun cities to see and Fairchild is a must see for people like us.  So, i am more looking to places/cities that maybe are less popular but really worth the visit as well? Also if you know good/nice places to stay overnight I am open to suggestions, still need to arrange everything. 

If this topic belongs more to the off-topic section I am sorry. 

Southwest

Here are a few:

1. Leu Gardens - Orlando, FL https://www.leugardens.org/
  2. Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum - St. Petersburg, FL http://www.stpeteparksrec.org/gizellakopsick/
  3. Sunken Gardens - St. Petersburg, FL http://www.stpete.org/attractions/sunken_gardens/index.php
  4. Florida Botanical Gardens - Largo, FL http://www.flbg.org/
  5. Highlands Hammock State Park - Sebring, FL https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/highlands-hammock-state-park

Obviously, not a complete list.  The first 3 are a little more showy than the last two for us palms and tropicals folks.  Highlands Hammock is more natural Florida swamp and hammock land.  That's if you want to see what Florida looked like before we drained the swamps and paved everything.  As a word of caution, it will still be 90F+ with high humidity in all of those locations come September.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

That are some very nice suggestions, thanks. I have been on holidays the past few years to tropical regions like Thailand, Idonesia, Malaysia, Mexico so i think more or less what too expect in terms of heat and high humidity if I go there. :) :)

• Like 1

Southwest

If you have time, visit the west coast and check out Collier Seminole State Park or the Facahatchee Strand. Lots of Royestonea regia and other rare plants like ghost orchids are found there.

If you'll be in Miami, Vizcaya is also worth a visit. 

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

I would suggest you stay off of the main highways (95,75,4) and try to take backroads instead, as you will see so much more, especially when riding along either the east or west coasts! A1A on the east coast is really pretty, especially in the Miami/South Florida area, and just south of St Augustine where there are some amazing unspoiled views of the Atlantic Ocean. There are great day trips from all major cities. 

From Orlando, St Augustine is a doable day trip, and really pretty if you ride A1A along the coast. So are the natural springs of north and central Florida, some are right in the Orlando area. Orlando is a really cool city in itself, and there are  nice little towns like Winter Park (near Leu Gardens, away from the tourist areas). 

There are a lot of things to do in the Miami and Orlando areas, and along the west coast near Tampa/St Pete and down towards Naples, where there are lots of islands untouched by development with beautiful beaches and native flora and fauna. You should be able to see a lot in 3 weeks! 

As previuosly stated, the weather is still extremely hot across the entire state in September, and the daily afternoon thunderstorms will usually still be going. It’s a beautiful state, enjoy! 

• Like 1

Marie Selby in Sarasota for tropicals and Palma Sola Botanical Park for some rare fruit action.

• Like 1

You didn't state that it's all about palms. I have been all over the state of FL. Just places that are great to me, Naples and Jupiter both have unusual small town charm with lots to do.  

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

What kinds of things do you like?

Given your background it’s tough to make recommendations. I’d recommend Vizcaya, Ringling, or the Bonnet House, but they’re not going to be as impressive as the chateaus and castles you have in Europe. Similarly, I’d recommend Key Biscayne or the north shore of Anna Maria Island for beaches, but as beautiful as they are I know they’ll come up a little short compared to what you’ve probably seen in Thailand. 

Personally, I think Sarasota and Saint Petersburg are underrated and might be worth visiting. The Keys are overrated imo, I wouldn’t even suggest going.

To be honest, Disney really is a special place so I think you’ve got to visit a couple of the parks. It’s amazing what Walt Disney was able to do and I don’t think there’s anything else quite like it.

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

There are some really beautiful places in north central florida like Rainbow springs, ichnetucknee, ginnie springs and all are surrounded by the native lush florida palms and trees. Its a little less travelled than the larger cities but might be worth a day or two if you can spare to staying in that area!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

On 7/9/2019 at 6:04 PM, NC_Palms said:

If you have time, visit the west coast and check out Collier Seminole State Park or the Facahatchee Strand. Lots of Royestonea regia and other rare plants like ghost orchids are found there.

If you'll be in Miami, Vizcaya is also worth a visit. 

I love Collier-Seminole State Park.  In addition to native Roystonea, I also saw several species of Tillandsia and several orchid species, including: Encyclia tampensis, Epidendrum rigidum, Polystachya concreta and Dendrophylax porrectus (one of the three Florida native leafless orchid species).

In all my treks through the swamps and jungles down in the Everglades, I never have located any of the other South Fl native palms, such as: Acoelorhaphe wrightii, Thrinax radiata or Coccothrinax argentata.

• Upvote 1

Without a doubt, Lake Wales Ridge State Forest for immersion in one of the most threatened and unique environments in the state: the Lake Wales Ridge scrub.  Rich in endemics and unusual species, the sand ridge is the oldest land in peninsular Florida, a refugium for plants and animals during various periods of higher sea levels. The elfin scrub oaks, palmettos, shrub layer, and abundant lichens in the trees and on the ground are almost unbelievably beautiful.

Also, Myakka River State Park to hike through the thick Cabbage Palm forests.

Try to at least drive and slog a bit past the dwarf Cypress Savannah near the training jetport facility along the Tamiami Trail linking Miami to the west coast of the state (Not I-75). Personally, I find the Big Cypress more interesting and accessible for hiking and "swamp tromping" than the Everglades.

Good luck with the tremendously powerful humid heat, thunderstorms, and serious mosquito populations during September. Water levels will be high, making natural areas much more challenging to access (think wading, alligators will get out of your way if you splash a lot. They're basically shy and avoidant during the day.)

Most people have no experience with the stunning beauty of the state's natural areas. I'm not talking about the drive thru Everglades National Park, but the almost unvisited state forests and preserves. Once you experience some of those, you'll weep at the ruin we have done to Florida.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If you enjoy science and space flight I recommend visiting Kennedy Space Center and Visitors Complex at Cape Canaveral. Keep an eye on the launch schedule, you might catch a rocket launch in September.  A short drive south on A1A to Melbourne, you could visit The FIT Botanical Garden. Dent Smith, founder of IPS contributed greatly to the creation of the gardens located at Florida Institute of Technology.  It's a very small garden but has some history.

• Like 1

I take visitors to butterfly world in Coconut Creek.

If you'll be in S FL, it's less humid & cooler the closer you are to the Atlantic in Sept. due to the gulf stream effect along the Florida straights.

Washington Oaks State Park south of St. Augustine on A1A also has a nice little garden.  Very peaceful and quiet back there and like another poster said, nice ride along the ocean to Daytona.  https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/washington-oaks-gardens-state-park

Lou St. Aug, FL

16 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

I love Collier-Seminole State Park.  In addition to native Roystonea, I also saw several species of Tillandsia and several orchid species, including: Encyclia tampensis, Epidendrum rigidum, Polystachya concreta and Dendrophylax porrectus (one of the three Florida native leafless orchid species).

In all my treks through the swamps and jungles down in the Everglades, I never have located any of the other South Fl native palms, such as: Acoelorhaphe wrightii, Thrinax radiata or Coccothrinax argentata.

Yes! Since after seeing a bunch of orchids in Southwest Florida, I’ve become very interested in them. Apparently here in the Carolinas we have one native aerial orchid - the green fly orchid (E. magnoliae), which is the cold hardiest and northernmost aerial orchid in the Americas.  

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

If you’re on the west coast, check out Marie Shelby gardens. I would also go to siesta key beach which has powder white sands and bath water. If you drive down midnight pass rd down to turtle beach you will see all of the palms on the island. The huge houses have great landscaping. You can also look for shark teeth in the water at the beach by Venice pier. Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

Lots of nice suggestions! Thanks all!
Going to take more time later this week to check them out and see how and what. :) :)

Southwest

and if this works with your schedule...check out

C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\VNADUV1N\email (008).mht

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

renta canoe and go down the Loxahatchee River in Jupiter FL ---- fantastic experience   I have gone down Itchtucknee Rivers so many times --- do it during the week and its just great. 

I have seen Manatees in both rivers ---- I always bring a mask snorkel and fines --- and skin dive the Ichetucknee  River 

https://loxahatcheeriver.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/timeline-1985-large.jpg

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/ichetucknee-springs-state-park

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Working out the last details from my trip, car is rented and flights are booked. 
Looking forward to this holiday trip and I don't know if I have time enough to see all your suggestions but it take them all with me. 
Fly in at Orlando on the 1st of September and next day I will drive directly to the west to stay a few days in the Saint Petersburg Area, from there I will go to Sarasota region and ending at Napels. Enough time in between to see some of your suggestions along the westcoast. From there I will go east trought the everglades to end up at the Keys.  After some Island feeling I will go back north trough Miami region to end up spending my last few days in Orlando region and to fly back home again. 

Google says it is quite easy to avoid toll roads is that correct? 

Hopefully Hurricane season is kind to you people than I also don't have to think about that, lol.

Edited by Exotic Life
  • Like 1

Southwest

34 minutes ago, Exotic Life said:

Working out the last details from my trip, car is rented and flights are booked. 
Looking forward to this holiday trip and I don't know if I have time enough to see all your suggestions but it take them all with me. 
Fly in at Orlando on the 1st of September and next day I will drive directly to the west to stay a few days in the Saint Petersburg Area, from there I will go to Sarasota region and ending at Napels. Enough time in between to see some of your suggestions along the westcoast. From there I will go east trought the everglades to end up at the Keys.  After some Island feeling I will go back north trough Miami region to end up spending my last few days in Orlando region and to fly back home again. 

Hopefully Hurricane season is kind to you people than I also don't have to think about that, lol.

Looks like you have a nice trip planned.  It is easy to avoid the toll roads but get ready for some traffic, especially on some spots I-4, I-75, I-95 and/or I-275

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 7/19/2019 at 11:42 AM, edbrown_III said:

renta canoe and go down the Loxahatchee River in Jupiter FL ---- fantastic experience   I have gone down Itchtucknee Rivers so many times --- do it during the week and its just great. 

I have seen Manatees in both rivers ---- I always bring a mask snorkel and fines --- and skin dive the Ichetucknee  River 

https://loxahatcheeriver.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/timeline-1985-large.jpg

https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/ichetucknee-springs-state-park

The Loxahatchee is my back yard. Beautiful place to paddle.

Jupiter FL

1 hour ago, Exotic Life said:

If on your way up from Miami to Orlando you feel like a pit stop in Jupiter let me know.  Several hundred palms in the ground make for a nice palmy experience.

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

Thanks again. 
Also going to "offer" one of my "Orlando" days to do a daytrip to Sint Augustine (based on pictures and your suggestions looks very nice) and driving the A1A. 

@redant

That is nice and I will come back to you on that soon.

Southwest

4 minutes ago, Exotic Life said:

Thanks again. 
Also going to "offer" one of my "Orlando" days to do a daytrip to Sint Augustine (based on pictures and your suggestions looks very nice) and driving the A1A. 

@redant

That is nice and I will come back to you on that soon.

This is a beautiful stretch of A1A https://www.google.com/maps/dir/27.0660937,-80.1163171/401-1599+S+Beach+Rd,+Jupiter,+FL+33469/@27.0092079,-80.1734503,12z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x88df29ca2fdbe16f:0x25577bc58b32222d!2m2!1d-80.0780511!2d26.9590232!5i1

Jupiter FL

On 8/21/2019 at 3:00 PM, Exotic Life said:

Yaiks.

I think i never should have said that. Hopefully forecasts turn a bit different for you guys. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Southwest