SEVA
15 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Awesome! Surprisingly, needle palm seeds were some of the very first palm seeds I germinated, even though they are known to take a while. I wish my needle would flower... But I only have one, so if it did flower it is likely that I wouldn't get any seeds (endless it is one of the special ones that can produce flowers of both sexes). 

5 out of my 6 needle palm clumps flower every year.  They're all the same sex so far and they've never produced seeds. 1 has yet to flower though, so I don't know the sex yet.  It'd be nice to have both sexes, so they can produce seeds.

cm05

My Needle is both male/female and produces seed but none are viable.

SEVA

Finally... with 4 more on this palm to open, and 2 on another.  It had some fruit the first time it bloomed, but I'm not sure if it's too late in the growing season this time.

0818191651.jpg

• Like 2

SEVA

0818191555.jpg

• Like 2

SEVA

There was a little better lighting this morning. Figured I'd share another.

0819190832_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

SEVA

After reading that Butia have 6 stamens I decided to take a closer look at the flowers just out of curiosity.  I counted between 6-9 stamens on multiple flowers. Is this not a pure Butia? Thoughts?

20190819_180740.jpeg

• Like 1

SEVA

Actually, I've counted up to 12 stamens on a few. Is this indicative of an intergeneric hybrid?

0821191705a.jpg

SEVA

If it helps, I've counted up to 15 stamens (1st pic; might be difficult to tell). Maybe this is normal for Butia, but still hoping someone can provide some insight.  I've also included a photo of a female flower and what appears to be a perfect flower(?) using a 10x lens.

0823191210d_HDR.jpg

0902191010a.jpg

0827191208.jpg

• Like 1

SEVA

The other Butia I mentioned finally bloomed for the first time today. I guess it was waiting for this 101F heat index.  The color is slightly darker than the one that has bloomed previously.

0912190902.jpg

0912191121a_HDR.jpg

SEVA

Just some comparisons

20190912_135400.jpeg

20190912_135102.jpeg

• Like 1

SEVA

And now a 3rd Butia is going to bloom. I just wish they would have bloomed earlier in the growing season.

0908191707.jpg

SEVA

And some frogs; one on the banana and one on the Sabal minor.  I never get tired of seeing them.

0910191932~2.jpg

0909191011a~2.jpg

• Like 3

SEVA

One month since the first inflorescence opened.

0918190919.jpg

• Like 3