Jump to content

Recommended Posts

SEVA
15 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Awesome! Surprisingly, needle palm seeds were some of the very first palm seeds I germinated, even though they are known to take a while. I wish my needle would flower... But I only have one, so if it did flower it is likely that I wouldn't get any seeds (endless it is one of the special ones that can produce flowers of both sexes). 

5 out of my 6 needle palm clumps flower every year.  They're all the same sex so far and they've never produced seeds. 1 has yet to flower though, so I don't know the sex yet.  It'd be nice to have both sexes, so they can produce seeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cm05

My Needle is both male/female and produces seed but none are viable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

Finally... with 4 more on this palm to open, and 2 on another.  It had some fruit the first time it bloomed, but I'm not sure if it's too late in the growing season this time.

0818191651.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

There was a little better lighting this morning. Figured I'd share another.

0819190832_HDR.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

After reading that Butia have 6 stamens I decided to take a closer look at the flowers just out of curiosity.  I counted between 6-9 stamens on multiple flowers. Is this not a pure Butia? Thoughts?

20190819_180740.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

Actually, I've counted up to 12 stamens on a few. Is this indicative of an intergeneric hybrid?

0821191705a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

If it helps, I've counted up to 15 stamens (1st pic; might be difficult to tell). Maybe this is normal for Butia, but still hoping someone can provide some insight.  I've also included a photo of a female flower and what appears to be a perfect flower(?) using a 10x lens.

0823191210d_HDR.jpg

0902191010a.jpg

0827191208.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

The other Butia I mentioned finally bloomed for the first time today. I guess it was waiting for this 101F heat index.  The color is slightly darker than the one that has bloomed previously.

0912190902.jpg

0912191121a_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

Just some comparisons

20190912_135400.jpeg

20190912_135102.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

And now a 3rd Butia is going to bloom. I just wish they would have bloomed earlier in the growing season.

0908191707.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

And some frogs; one on the banana and one on the Sabal minor.  I never get tired of seeing them.

0910191932~2.jpg

0909191011a~2.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

One month since the first inflorescence opened.

0918190919.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

1019191629.thumb.jpg.cf7c3205692b1282ae5440859fc3c312.jpg

A little over 2 months since opening.  The third Butia sending up inflorescences this year should open it's first any day now.  And now a fourth Butia is producing a spathe, and it'll probably freeze before it gets the chance to open... I'm hoping it blooms next year as I'm curious what color it'll be.  A total of 14 (8 on one) spathes produced this year so far.

1019191446.thumb.jpg.c598accd6579f309e55a45d227542f1f.jpg

The largest needle palm is blooming for the third time within one growing season.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

First inflorescence from Butia #3.  I've noticed the spathes tend to open soon after developing a yellowish tint.

1030191420.jpg

Edited by SEVA
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

Opened up more today. A nice touch for Halloween.

1031191128c_HDR.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

Snapped this pic of the queen just before wrapping it today. Can't believe how early this cold weather is coming. They're forecasting 24F tomorrow night, but I'm just taking precautions.  Given how quickly the temps are going to drop and it's supposed to rain right before this unseasonably cold weather.

1111191153.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution

@SEVA same here. Im in Calera, Alabama. 

Low tomorrow night is 22 currently. 

Sunday I sprayed it down twice with WiltStop to help protect. Ive heard mixed reviews about using antitranspirants but was trying to take every precaution I could. 

I wrapped mine in 3 layers of 2.5oz frost cloth, a heat coil, and another 2 layers of that cheap green frost blanket stuff at Lowes. 

Best I could do. 

What do you use for wrappings?

Im basically in the same zone you are. 8a technically, but only by about 30 miles. 

QueenPalmWrapped11NOV2019.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA
21 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@SEVA same here. Im in Calera, Alabama. 

Low tomorrow night is 22 currently. 

Sunday I sprayed it down twice with WiltStop to help protect. Ive heard mixed reviews about using antitranspirants but was trying to take every precaution I could. 

I wrapped mine in 3 layers of 2.5oz frost cloth, a heat coil, and another 2 layers of that cheap green frost blanket stuff at Lowes. 

Best I could do. 

What do you use for wrappings?

Im basically in the same zone you are. 8a technically, but only by about 30 miles. 

QueenPalmWrapped11NOV2019.jpg

I just used burlap and Christmas lights with a Thermocube.  I used 2 rolls of burlap around the trunk, then I wrapped lights around that. Then I used 3 rolls of burlap around the lights.  I leave a string of lights wrapped around the outer layer to see if the lights come on when the temperature drops.  It's too tall now for me to try and cover the entire palm.  I was only able to wrap the lower 1/3 of the fronds.  I was thinking about pushing the palm over at an angle next year for easier wrapping, but I'm not sure yet. And that's assuming the protection method doesn't fail this year.

1112191617_HDR.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB
13 hours ago, SEVA said:

I just used burlap and Christmas lights with a Thermocube.  I used 2 rolls of burlap around the trunk, then I wrapped lights around that. Then I used 3 rolls of burlap around the lights.  I leave a string of lights wrapped around the outer layer to see if the lights come on when the temperature drops.  It's too tall now for me to try and cover the entire palm.  I was only able to wrap the lower 1/3 of the fronds.  I was thinking about pushing the palm over at an angle next year for easier wrapping, but I'm not sure yet. And that's assuming the protection method doesn't fail this year.

1112191617_HDR.jpg

That queen is awesome! Great job on keeping it alive through your winters!

You may have already mentioned, but how tall was it when you originally planted it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA
1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

That queen is awesome! Great job on keeping it alive through your winters!

You may have already mentioned, but how tall was it when you originally planted it?

This is the earliest photo I can find at the moment.  This was taken 6 months after planting.  When it was planted, I think it was just beginning to or about to trunk.  Maybe 9 or 10 ft tall from the ground to the tip of the tallest frond.  

Oh and, it didn't get quite as cold as they were predicting last night.  My outdoor thermometer matched the weather app this time with a low of 26F.  They're saying 25F tonight though.  After tonight, I don't see anymore freezing temps in the forecast.

20160903_120958.jpg

Edited by SEVA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB
3 hours ago, SEVA said:

This is the earliest photo I can find at the moment.  This was taken 6 months after planting.  When it was planted, I think it was just beginning to or about to trunk.  Maybe 9 or 10 ft tall from the ground to the tip of the tallest frond.  

Oh and, it didn't get quite as cold as they were predicting last night.  My outdoor thermometer matched the weather app this time with a low of 26F.  They're saying 25F tonight though.  After tonight, I don't see anymore freezing temps in the forecast.

20160903_120958.jpg

Once again, awesome! I hope it calls that location home for years to come. 

My night wasn't as bad as they predicted either,  and same... after tonight we're going to see lows in the upper 40s for at least the rest of the month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA
3 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Once again, awesome! I hope it calls that location home for years to come. 

My night wasn't as bad as they predicted either,  and same... after tonight we're going to see lows in the upper 40s for at least the rest of the month.

Thanks.  As do I, but I'm probably going to have to do something if I want to be able to continue to wrap it for a few more years.  Getting too tall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
necturus

I have often thought about knocking trunking palms over to introduce a curve and make them easier to protect. Obviously not all could tolerate that, but some species definitely could. Sabals for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmTreeDude

You are making me want to plant a palm completely out of my zone in the Spring. Good job, the queen looks great! Did you happen to take a full picture of the palm before you wrapped it? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution

@SEVA Thats awesome! I wondered how much trunk that tree had on it. 

I got a lot of backlash in my own thread about planting a queen palm in 8a but I believe with protection its worth it. 

I haven't unwrapped mine yet, probably will tomorrow evening. 

The lows are back in the mid 30's or so, and highs in the 60's at least for the next week and a half, so it's safe. 

 

Do you know if your queen is one of the "Litoralis" (Silverqueen), or a santa catarina? 

I got mine from HD this late summer. No idea what cultivar it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA
21 hours ago, necturus said:

I have often thought about knocking trunking palms over to introduce a curve and make them easier to protect. Obviously not all could tolerate that, but some species definitely could. Sabals for sure.

I've read that queens don't have the strongest root systems and are prone to falling in high winds, so I'm not sure what's best to do.  If it makes it through this winter and I push it over, I'll definitely have to provide support for a while.  I've heard of queens falling and continuing to grow where they fell.  I suppose at worst, it'll end up along the ground and develop a L-shaped trunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA
20 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

You are making me want to plant a palm completely out of my zone in the Spring. Good job, the queen looks great! Did you happen to take a full picture of the palm before you wrapped it? 

Have any particular species in mind? 

Thanks. I have some, but not technically the entire palm.  One is before and the other is after the first freeze. The cannas didn't look too great after the drought.

1028190852d_HDR.jpg

1111191150_HDR.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA
18 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@SEVA Thats awesome! I wondered how much trunk that tree had on it. 

I got a lot of backlash in my own thread about planting a queen palm in 8a but I believe with protection its worth it. 

I haven't unwrapped mine yet, probably will tomorrow evening. 

The lows are back in the mid 30's or so, and highs in the 60's at least for the next week and a half, so it's safe. 

 

Do you know if your queen is one of the "Litoralis" (Silverqueen), or a santa catarina? 

I got mine from HD this late summer. No idea what cultivar it is. 

It's a fun experimental palm to grow. There were a few that told me it was impossible to pull off here, but I tried anyways. It might not look great, but it's nice to have a larger palm in the garden since the palms that are hardy here take longer to reach a larger size. I have a few other "impossible" and marginal palms I'd like to try here in the future, but they'll remain in pots for now. I prefer to grow them as large as possible before planting them in the ground.

I'm not sure of the provenance.  I purchased it from a big box store when I lived in Mississippi. I have numerous seedlings that I grew from seeds sourced from CA, which I plan to put one in the ground when they're bigger.  I'm interested to see if one might be slightly more hardy than the other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PalmTreeDude
1 hour ago, SEVA said:

Have any particular species in mind? 

Thanks. I have some, but not technically the entire palm.  One is before and the other is after the first freeze. The cannas didn't look too great after the drought.

1028190852d_HDR.jpg

1111191150_HDR.jpg

I have an Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and my house is just about at maximum compacity of plants that I'll keep inside during the winter. I know they can tolerate cool tempatures, so I could probably get away with building a well insulated box around it with a heat source and a thermo cube to keep it from freezing. At this point I'm thinking, if I am going to end up growing a palm that I am going to have to protect in the winter, mine as well try to grow something cool, with still a little bit of cold tolerance. 

Thank you for the pictures! It is getting big, that's for sure! It also looks really healthy. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA
1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I have an Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and my house is just about at maximum compacity of plants that I'll keep inside during the winter. I know they can tolerate cool tempatures, so I could probably get away with building a well insulated box around it with a heat source and a thermo cube to keep it from freezing. At this point I'm thinking, if I am going to end up growing a palm that I am going to have to protect in the winter, mine as well try to grow something cool, with still a little bit of cold tolerance. 

Thank you for the pictures! It is getting big, that's for sure! It also looks really healthy. 

That would be interesting to see in VA.  I plan to try a mule, CIDP, and a Washingtonia sp. in the future.  I'm not sure if I want to try these in the ground due to the fact that I've only been able to obtain seeds to grow (and they're slow), but I have one seed-grown Brahea armata and 2 seed-grown Jubaea chilensis.

Also, I am trialing a Livistona chinensis this winter.  I have it planted next to water under wax-myrtles, tupelo, and pondcypress.  I think I said I had baldcypress growing in the swamp previously, but turns out they are actually pondcypress (I believe this area is the northernmost range for pondcypress).

Edited by SEVA
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Estlander
6 hours ago, SEVA said:

 

1111191150_HDR.jpg

Interesting green trunk your Queen has. Don’t think I’ve seen that before. Looks good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA
12 hours ago, Estlander said:

Interesting green trunk your Queen has. Don’t think I’ve seen that before. Looks good. 

I wonder if it is due to the premature loss of fronds from winter defoliation.  If it was grown in a location with warmer winter temps where the fronds remain green for a longer period, maybe the fronds remain green long enough to keep the potentially green trunk covered (given that it doesn't turn green until exposed to sunlight)?  Unless that's just how this one is?  I'm not familiar with how long a queen palm frond lasts under ideal conditions.

The attached photo is before and after removing some brown boots from the trunk in mid July.

20191115_103328.jpeg

Edited by SEVA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

Just a few pics around the yard for a winter update.

1228191431a_HDR.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

Closer view of the largest Sabal Birmingham.

0114201212.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

Someone had asked how I protected the Butia palms during the 2017-2018 winter, but I didn't have any photos from that year. I just wrapped them since I am moving (somewhere colder too), and just want them prepared in case we get an unusually cold weather event.  I'll try to update whenever I get to visit.

0114201335b.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dartolution

@SEVA you're moving? OH NO! what about your Queen palm though!?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA
1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

@SEVA you're moving? OH NO! what about your Queen palm though!?!?

Yup, I'm moving to SW Virginia (haven't seen any palms there yet and don't know if I will). The queen is wrapped as well. Hopefully the protection doesn't fail, but I'll post updates after I get the chance to visit and unwrap everything. Currently, the exposed fronds on the queen are already fried from that cold event in November.

0108201231a_HDR.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SEVA

This will be my new setting. White pine, red spruce, and Frasier fir are pretty common there.

0105201602~2.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
11 hours ago, SEVA said:

This will be my new setting. White pine, red spruce, and Frasier fir are pretty common there.

 

Very nice, all tree's I'm very familiar with, as well as landscape. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • Palmphile
      By Palmphile
      I am having trouble with differentiating between Sabal x brazoria and Sabal x texensis 'Brazoria' , can someone tell me what makes them different and how different they really are? (Or if they're the same?)
    • Virginia Palms
      By Virginia Palms
      Howdy y’all! I’m a palm grower in central Virginia and I’ve got a few ideas to put out there to the palm world.
      Firstly, with regard to zonation: I feel as though the usda hardiness zones need to be updated because as I’m sure some of y’all have noticed, there are plants and animals living and thriving in places they didn’t use too. For where I live near Charlottesville, Virginia, we haven’t reached a 7a temperature in the last 10-15 years at least, it’s been reliably 8a or above sometimes 8b or 9a some winters. Because of this, I’ve been able to grow palms and other tropical which have previously been a stranger to my area. For starters, I’ve had a red banana (Ensete maurelii) for 3 winters and it has had no protection and is supposedly a 9a plant. It has been acted like any other musabaju you might see in a cooler climate. Furthermore I have a Sabal palmetto that just breezed through a really nasty winter we had here with ZERO protection and little damage only to the tips. I’ve also had a Washingtonia robusta that I’ve had for 3 winters as well, 2 of those winters I’ve only had to cover it and protect it for only a few nights during February. This past winter was too gnarly for it being that we had a few nights in the upper teens so I did leave it covered, but it did really well overall. I have had for 3 years now a windmill palm which has never seen protection at all and it’s thriving. I’ve had a dozen or so Sabal seedlings in the ground for 4 or 5 years now and I’ve still got 7 of them. All those along with half a dozen sago palms which have survived 4 winters now. That’s just my own yard, in Charlottesville itself I’ve seen a ton of palmage! At the UVA campus there is an enormous southern live oak that’s been there for god knows how long, but it looks to be at least 50 years old. There’s a lot of musabaju bananas as well. One persons home I drive by frequently has a very large pindo palm, tons of sagos, windmills, needle palm, huge Sabal minors, and cannas and other smaller plants. I’ve seen a few windmills around town as well, one huge one and a few smaller ones. But I feel that the climate zones have shifted about to allow for a much wider verity of flora and fauna and I believe that it would be amazing too see some more palms and more exotic palms tried in central Virginia to spice things up a bit. Palmettos now should be better than marginal as should pintos and Mediterraneans.  In any case those are my thoughts on palms in the central Virginia region, please let me know if you have any experience with palms in this region and hardiness zone shifts and anything else pertaining to this conversation. 














    • Palmphile
      By Palmphile
      Hello everyone, so I haven’t seen a lot of coverage of this nature defying experiment but some of the In n Out burger chain restaurants that are new to Colorado have installed the iconic crossed palm trees at some of their locations such as this one of Constitution Ave. in Colorado Springs (Zone 5b\6a). These Sabal palmettos appear to have large gauge pipe heating cables rapped around the trunk and close to the crown. I’m also told they have coiled heat cables in the ground around the roots. They are left completely out in the open, and appear to have been planted in October 2021 (which I think is a terrible time). I don’t know the specific minimum temperature they endured this past winter but I know it was in the single digits on multiple occasions. Our past winter here was extremely dry. We didn’t have any moisture whatsoever from September 2021 to almost January 1st, 2022.  
      Winters are cold here in Colorado! I hope that they were able to make the winter and maybe we could see some growth soon. I would guess the heat cables are kept on 24/7. When I put my hand on the cable it was very warm. The days in Colorado are very warm I don’t think that’s the problem it’s the constantly below freezing nightly winter temps that worry me, they look pretty bad after this past winter. I also know that the In n Out in Thornton (Northern suburb of Denver) also has Sabals planted. I’m curious if anyone has more information, and also what you guys have to say about this incredible sight in the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains Ha! Have a look, there’s also yuccas planted in the foreground nearby, my guess is Yucca faxoniana. Thanks guys









    • Sapiindo
      By Sapiindo
      There so many in my garden


    • Efrain Casellas
      By Efrain Casellas
      I just got a Sylveter palm installed a week ago and i notice upon delivery it had a couple of brown leaves, i didn't think much of it because of the exitement , but now it have more brown leaves to the point of concern, is this normal? is it something that i can do to fix this issue? 
      The installer told my wife and i to water it twice a day 15 min in the morning 15 on the afternoon but how do i now if thats enough or may be is to much? 
      Here are some pictures i know is dark sorry and the last 2 pictures are from when we got it at the nursery , can someone please help me with this? Thanks






×
×
  • Create New...