• Similar Content

• Super Minion
      By Super Minion
      Hi everyone,
      This is my first post here on palmtalk. My favorite palm is b. Alfredii. This is a report dedicated on how the B. Alfredii reacts to the cool climate of Northern Europe.
      I live in Rotterdam, Netherlands which is hardiness zone 8 in Europe. The average anual extreme minimum here is -10 Celsius (14 Fahrenheit) for the last 5 winters.

• Phyllostachys
      By Phyllostachys
      Hi folks! I'm currently on a West coast road trip and would love to hear from the community and get suggestions for interesting gardens, nurseries, and notable specimens that I could visit and photograph on my way between Vancouver (Canada) and San Francisco. If you have a garden that you're willing to show, I'd love to meet and see your plants!
      I've just passed Portland and am planning to be in San Francisco for the weekend. I'm planning a follow-up trip to SoCal in the winter, so please share your thoughts even if you see this after I've passed through! 
      I'm interested to hear all your recommendations, with special emphasis on palms (of course!), bamboos, uncommon edibles to taste, as well as all sorts of unusual, botanically interesting, and zone pushing plants!
      I'll be taking photos of the fun plants among my trip and will share them once I'm back home. If you know the locations of the most northern surviving specimen of specific plant species, please let me know and I'll provide an updated photo if I pass through the area!
      Thank you so much for your time!
      Sam
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Yes, indeed…a few Brazoria seeds forming…I see now how it works on this palm…one male stalk and one female, same palm. Let’s see what I end up with this fall…Question: Should I winter the seeds outside in a dry cabinet then sprout in the spring? There aren’t very many but if I have any to share I will once I see what makes it to fall.

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Does Butia Catarinensis have a glaucous, bluish cast to it?
    • Palms and Pines
      By Palms and Pines
      I recently went back to fit gardens in Melbourne Florida, which recently reopened after 2 whole years of being closed.
      Nice hybrid dates

dypsis. A lot of areas look very jungle like now, even more so than before, I don’t think the gardens got maintained very well in the 2 years it was closed unfortunately but it looks cool.

Don’t think that’s labeled right. There’s also a  African oil palms with a “syagrus psedococos” an outdated name for a queen palm. The signs look relatively new too. Not exactly sure what they are doing.

This is what remains of the very old African oil palm, if you look at some old threads you can see it was a large and beautiful palm. To bad I’m not 100% sure if it died of natural causes or if it was chainsawed but I have a sneaking suspicion it was the latter, as they are cementing near by its trunk now for some reason. But I’m not ruling out that it died naturally because why else haven’t they removed all the old trunk. That also being said I “snuck in” last year for a short while and it looked perfectly healthy anyhow too bad it’s gone.