• Similar Content

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      I went to Kew Gardens for my birthday on Tuesday 22nd September. 
      A great chance to check out the gardens and the fantastic glass houses, of which several were unfortunately closed due to the pandemic. Nonetheless, plenty of palms and exhibits were still on display and in their full glory on a beautiful sunny autumn/fall day here at 51N in southeastern England. The air temperature was around 27C / 80F at the time of visiting. Conditions are very dry at present as we have had no rainfall at all during September so far, and only around 4-5 inches of rain over the past 6 months, since 1st March. 
      Here is a photo-documentation of the gardens, glass houses and the various palms located within. The first of several posts...

Unfortunately some of the attractions and glass houses were closed due to the pandemic, although the main couple were still open. Please excuse me for not naming each palm individually...

Crossing on to the temperate glass house...

More to follow...

• Jhonny
      By Jhonny
      Hi guys, brand new to this site. I’ve been on here for quite some time as a reader but never posted before.
      I wanted to talk about Sabal Palmetto’s range possibly being officially extended to Virginia Beach. Usually the cut off is in North Carolina and naturally it is. But this past week I went down to VA Beach with the sole intention of finding as many volunteers as I could at the oceanfront, and let me tell you how shocked I was by the amount there was. First let me start off by saying I went on the 2 most rainiest days so unfortunately I was only able to cover 1/2 of the strip. And of that half I only covered the east side of Atlantic Ave. And of that east side I was only able to cover the street side, not the boardwalk at all. And after only covering that fraction of the strip, I found dozens, if not hundreds of Sabals growing at all stages. And not just Sabal, Pindos as well! 
      On every block there was at least a few barely beginning to sprout, but there were definitely some a few years and older. The biggest one I found was at the Capes Resort which easily was 12-15 feet tall, the trunk starting to rise. There were several around the height of stop signs and most were to my hips and lower. There were a few that were growing nearly at the boardwalk, the limit before you get to the sand. I would say half of these things were growing in bushes, or under trees, or in other protected areas. But there was a good chunk growing out in the open, exposed to all elements. 
      Having resisted multiple winters and continuing to grow (most showed little to no damage), I have no doubt they will grow to be some of the hardiest Sabals in existence. The offsprings of these strands will only get hardier and adapt better to the climate so I 100% believe Sabal is permanently here to stay. I know that most of these trees have come from Florida or other nurseries much further south and this isn’t an extension of range occurring naturally from its NC counterparts. But I think the range for this tree has officially crossed the state line. 
      I’m planning to take another trip next month to finish the other half of the beach where I know there are just as many growing. What do you guys think of these Virginian palmettos?

• GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Anybody have any experience with Brazoria in zone 7? Have been back and forth with mine but the mild winter last year and wet summer this year really gave it a leg up...Looking for any expertise...
    • Alex37
      By Alex37
      Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, I'm looking for butiagrus seeds (Butia x syagrus r.), I live in Italy, is there anyone who has them?
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Do Trachy leaves fold to help moderate the environment? I’ve noticed, especially in the winter, the colder it gets, the tighter they close...I know it can be a sign of stress but my Trachy seems to be healthy...it’s leaves have always looked semi-folded...some days more than others...today is dry, sunny and low 80’s...even the Mediterranean Fan tends to be folded, though to a lesser degree...the Needles are wide open and flat...any lesson would be appreciated...