• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SEVA

15 minutes ago, PalmTreeDude said:

Awesome! Surprisingly, needle palm seeds were some of the very first palm seeds I germinated, even though they are known to take a while. I wish my needle would flower... But I only have one, so if it did flower it is likely that I wouldn't get any seeds (endless it is one of the special ones that can produce flowers of both sexes). 

5 out of my 6 needle palm clumps flower every year.  They're all the same sex so far and they've never produced seeds. 1 has yet to flower though, so I don't know the sex yet.  It'd be nice to have both sexes, so they can produce seeds.

USDA Hardiness Zone 7b/8a

AHS Heat Zone 7

• 2 weeks later...

Finally... with 4 more on this palm to open, and 2 on another.  It had some fruit the first time it bloomed, but I'm not sure if it's too late in the growing season this time.

0818191651.jpg

• Like 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

There was a little better lighting this morning. Figured I'd share another.

0819190832_HDR.jpg

• Like 5

AHS Heat Zone 7

After reading that Butia have 6 stamens I decided to take a closer look at the flowers just out of curiosity.  I counted between 6-9 stamens on multiple flowers. Is this not a pure Butia? Thoughts?

20190819_180740.jpeg

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

Actually, I've counted up to 12 stamens on a few. Is this indicative of an intergeneric hybrid?

0821191705a.jpg

AHS Heat Zone 7

• 3 weeks later...

If it helps, I've counted up to 15 stamens (1st pic; might be difficult to tell). Maybe this is normal for Butia, but still hoping someone can provide some insight.  I've also included a photo of a female flower and what appears to be a perfect flower(?) using a 10x lens.

0823191210d_HDR.jpg

0902191010a.jpg

0827191208.jpg

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

The other Butia I mentioned finally bloomed for the first time today. I guess it was waiting for this 101F heat index.  The color is slightly darker than the one that has bloomed previously.

0912190902.jpg

0912191121a_HDR.jpg

AHS Heat Zone 7

And now a 3rd Butia is going to bloom. I just wish they would have bloomed earlier in the growing season.

0908191707.jpg

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

And some frogs; one on the banana and one on the Sabal minor.  I never get tired of seeing them.

0910191932~2.jpg

0909191011a~2.jpg

• Like 3

AHS Heat Zone 7

• 1 month later...

1019191629.thumb.jpg.cf7c3205692b1282ae5440859fc3c312.jpg

A little over 2 months since opening.  The third Butia sending up inflorescences this year should open it's first any day now.  And now a fourth Butia is producing a spathe, and it'll probably freeze before it gets the chance to open... I'm hoping it blooms next year as I'm curious what color it'll be.  A total of 14 (8 on one) spathes produced this year so far.

1019191446.thumb.jpg.c598accd6579f309e55a45d227542f1f.jpg

The largest needle palm is blooming for the third time within one growing season.

• Like 4

AHS Heat Zone 7

First inflorescence from Butia #3.  I've noticed the spathes tend to open soon after developing a yellowish tint.

1030191420.jpg

Edited by SEVA
  • Like 3

AHS Heat Zone 7

• 2 weeks later...

Snapped this pic of the queen just before wrapping it today. Can't believe how early this cold weather is coming. They're forecasting 24F tomorrow night, but I'm just taking precautions.  Given how quickly the temps are going to drop and it's supposed to rain right before this unseasonably cold weather.

1111191153.jpg

• Like 3

AHS Heat Zone 7

@SEVA same here. Im in Calera, Alabama. 

Low tomorrow night is 22 currently. 

Sunday I sprayed it down twice with WiltStop to help protect. Ive heard mixed reviews about using antitranspirants but was trying to take every precaution I could. 

I wrapped mine in 3 layers of 2.5oz frost cloth, a heat coil, and another 2 layers of that cheap green frost blanket stuff at Lowes. 

Best I could do. 

What do you use for wrappings?

Im basically in the same zone you are. 8a technically, but only by about 30 miles. 

QueenPalmWrapped11NOV2019.jpg

21 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@SEVA same here. Im in Calera, Alabama. 

Low tomorrow night is 22 currently. 

Sunday I sprayed it down twice with WiltStop to help protect. Ive heard mixed reviews about using antitranspirants but was trying to take every precaution I could. 

I wrapped mine in 3 layers of 2.5oz frost cloth, a heat coil, and another 2 layers of that cheap green frost blanket stuff at Lowes. 

Best I could do. 

What do you use for wrappings?

Im basically in the same zone you are. 8a technically, but only by about 30 miles. 

QueenPalmWrapped11NOV2019.jpg

I just used burlap and Christmas lights with a Thermocube.  I used 2 rolls of burlap around the trunk, then I wrapped lights around that. Then I used 3 rolls of burlap around the lights.  I leave a string of lights wrapped around the outer layer to see if the lights come on when the temperature drops.  It's too tall now for me to try and cover the entire palm.  I was only able to wrap the lower 1/3 of the fronds.  I was thinking about pushing the palm over at an angle next year for easier wrapping, but I'm not sure yet. And that's assuming the protection method doesn't fail this year.

1112191617_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

13 hours ago, SEVA said:

I just used burlap and Christmas lights with a Thermocube.  I used 2 rolls of burlap around the trunk, then I wrapped lights around that. Then I used 3 rolls of burlap around the lights.  I leave a string of lights wrapped around the outer layer to see if the lights come on when the temperature drops.  It's too tall now for me to try and cover the entire palm.  I was only able to wrap the lower 1/3 of the fronds.  I was thinking about pushing the palm over at an angle next year for easier wrapping, but I'm not sure yet. And that's assuming the protection method doesn't fail this year.

1112191617_HDR.jpg

That queen is awesome! Great job on keeping it alive through your winters!

You may have already mentioned, but how tall was it when you originally planted it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

That queen is awesome! Great job on keeping it alive through your winters!

You may have already mentioned, but how tall was it when you originally planted it?

This is the earliest photo I can find at the moment.  This was taken 6 months after planting.  When it was planted, I think it was just beginning to or about to trunk.  Maybe 9 or 10 ft tall from the ground to the tip of the tallest frond.  

Oh and, it didn't get quite as cold as they were predicting last night.  My outdoor thermometer matched the weather app this time with a low of 26F.  They're saying 25F tonight though.  After tonight, I don't see anymore freezing temps in the forecast.

20160903_120958.jpg

Edited by SEVA

AHS Heat Zone 7

3 hours ago, SEVA said:

This is the earliest photo I can find at the moment.  This was taken 6 months after planting.  When it was planted, I think it was just beginning to or about to trunk.  Maybe 9 or 10 ft tall from the ground to the tip of the tallest frond.  

Oh and, it didn't get quite as cold as they were predicting last night.  My outdoor thermometer matched the weather app this time with a low of 26F.  They're saying 25F tonight though.  After tonight, I don't see anymore freezing temps in the forecast.

20160903_120958.jpg

Once again, awesome! I hope it calls that location home for years to come. 

My night wasn't as bad as they predicted either,  and same... after tonight we're going to see lows in the upper 40s for at least the rest of the month.

3 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Once again, awesome! I hope it calls that location home for years to come. 

My night wasn't as bad as they predicted either,  and same... after tonight we're going to see lows in the upper 40s for at least the rest of the month.

Thanks.  As do I, but I'm probably going to have to do something if I want to be able to continue to wrap it for a few more years.  Getting too tall.

AHS Heat Zone 7

I have often thought about knocking trunking palms over to introduce a curve and make them easier to protect. Obviously not all could tolerate that, but some species definitely could. Sabals for sure.

You are making me want to plant a palm completely out of my zone in the Spring. Good job, the queen looks great! Did you happen to take a full picture of the palm before you wrapped it? 

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

@SEVA Thats awesome! I wondered how much trunk that tree had on it. 

I got a lot of backlash in my own thread about planting a queen palm in 8a but I believe with protection its worth it. 

I haven't unwrapped mine yet, probably will tomorrow evening. 

The lows are back in the mid 30's or so, and highs in the 60's at least for the next week and a half, so it's safe. 

Do you know if your queen is one of the "Litoralis" (Silverqueen), or a santa catarina? 

I got mine from HD this late summer. No idea what cultivar it is. 

21 hours ago, necturus said:

I have often thought about knocking trunking palms over to introduce a curve and make them easier to protect. Obviously not all could tolerate that, but some species definitely could. Sabals for sure.

I've read that queens don't have the strongest root systems and are prone to falling in high winds, so I'm not sure what's best to do.  If it makes it through this winter and I push it over, I'll definitely have to provide support for a while.  I've heard of queens falling and continuing to grow where they fell.  I suppose at worst, it'll end up along the ground and develop a L-shaped trunk.

AHS Heat Zone 7

20 hours ago, PalmTreeDude said:

You are making me want to plant a palm completely out of my zone in the Spring. Good job, the queen looks great! Did you happen to take a full picture of the palm before you wrapped it? 

Have any particular species in mind? 

Thanks. I have some, but not technically the entire palm.  One is before and the other is after the first freeze. The cannas didn't look too great after the drought.

1028190852d_HDR.jpg

1111191150_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

AHS Heat Zone 7

18 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@SEVA Thats awesome! I wondered how much trunk that tree had on it. 

I got a lot of backlash in my own thread about planting a queen palm in 8a but I believe with protection its worth it. 

I haven't unwrapped mine yet, probably will tomorrow evening. 

The lows are back in the mid 30's or so, and highs in the 60's at least for the next week and a half, so it's safe. 

Do you know if your queen is one of the "Litoralis" (Silverqueen), or a santa catarina? 

I got mine from HD this late summer. No idea what cultivar it is. 

It's a fun experimental palm to grow. There were a few that told me it was impossible to pull off here, but I tried anyways. It might not look great, but it's nice to have a larger palm in the garden since the palms that are hardy here take longer to reach a larger size. I have a few other "impossible" and marginal palms I'd like to try here in the future, but they'll remain in pots for now. I prefer to grow them as large as possible before planting them in the ground.

I'm not sure of the provenance.  I purchased it from a big box store when I lived in Mississippi. I have numerous seedlings that I grew from seeds sourced from CA, which I plan to put one in the ground when they're bigger.  I'm interested to see if one might be slightly more hardy than the other.

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

1 hour ago, SEVA said:

Have any particular species in mind? 

Thanks. I have some, but not technically the entire palm.  One is before and the other is after the first freeze. The cannas didn't look too great after the drought.

1028190852d_HDR.jpg

1111191150_HDR.jpg

I have an Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and my house is just about at maximum compacity of plants that I'll keep inside during the winter. I know they can tolerate cool tempatures, so I could probably get away with building a well insulated box around it with a heat source and a thermo cube to keep it from freezing. At this point I'm thinking, if I am going to end up growing a palm that I am going to have to protect in the winter, mine as well try to grow something cool, with still a little bit of cold tolerance. 

Thank you for the pictures! It is getting big, that's for sure! It also looks really healthy. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

1 hour ago, PalmTreeDude said:

I have an Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and my house is just about at maximum compacity of plants that I'll keep inside during the winter. I know they can tolerate cool tempatures, so I could probably get away with building a well insulated box around it with a heat source and a thermo cube to keep it from freezing. At this point I'm thinking, if I am going to end up growing a palm that I am going to have to protect in the winter, mine as well try to grow something cool, with still a little bit of cold tolerance. 

Thank you for the pictures! It is getting big, that's for sure! It also looks really healthy. 

That would be interesting to see in VA.  I plan to try a mule, CIDP, and a Washingtonia sp. in the future.  I'm not sure if I want to try these in the ground due to the fact that I've only been able to obtain seeds to grow (and they're slow), but I have one seed-grown Brahea armata and 2 seed-grown Jubaea chilensis.

Also, I am trialing a Livistona chinensis this winter.  I have it planted next to water under wax-myrtles, tupelo, and pondcypress.  I think I said I had baldcypress growing in the swamp previously, but turns out they are actually pondcypress (I believe this area is the northernmost range for pondcypress).

Edited by SEVA
  • Like 2

AHS Heat Zone 7

6 hours ago, SEVA said:

1111191150_HDR.jpg

Interesting green trunk your Queen has. Don’t think I’ve seen that before. Looks good. 

12 hours ago, Estlander said:

Interesting green trunk your Queen has. Don’t think I’ve seen that before. Looks good. 

I wonder if it is due to the premature loss of fronds from winter defoliation.  If it was grown in a location with warmer winter temps where the fronds remain green for a longer period, maybe the fronds remain green long enough to keep the potentially green trunk covered (given that it doesn't turn green until exposed to sunlight)?  Unless that's just how this one is?  I'm not familiar with how long a queen palm frond lasts under ideal conditions.

The attached photo is before and after removing some brown boots from the trunk in mid July.

20191115_103328.jpeg

Edited by SEVA

AHS Heat Zone 7

• 1 month later...

Someone had asked how I protected the Butia palms during the 2017-2018 winter, but I didn't have any photos from that year. I just wrapped them since I am moving (somewhere colder too), and just want them prepared in case we get an unusually cold weather event.  I'll try to update whenever I get to visit.

0114201335b.jpg

• Like 4

AHS Heat Zone 7

1 hour ago, Dartolution said:

@SEVA you're moving? OH NO! what about your Queen palm though!?!?

Yup, I'm moving to SW Virginia (haven't seen any palms there yet and don't know if I will). The queen is wrapped as well. Hopefully the protection doesn't fail, but I'll post updates after I get the chance to visit and unwrap everything. Currently, the exposed fronds on the queen are already fried from that cold event in November.

0108201231a_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

AHS Heat Zone 7

This will be my new setting. White pine, red spruce, and Frasier fir are pretty common there.

0105201602~2.jpg

• Like 3

AHS Heat Zone 7

11 hours ago, SEVA said:

This will be my new setting. White pine, red spruce, and Frasier fir are pretty common there.

Very nice, all tree's I'm very familiar with, as well as landscape. B)