IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fissure/Crack in Foxtail

OrlandoPalmGuy

Hey everyone,

I’m looking for some help on my Foxtail palm. I have two that we’re about the same size at planting. They both have the same fertilizer schedules, have a sprinkler head with same watering times, and bot planted in the front of the house. About 3 fronds ago I noticed a crack/fissure in one of my trunks. It does not seem to be improving/healing and appears to be traveling up the tree. I have sprayed it with copper fungicide with no results. Any recommendations for a solution to this problem? Can i fill/pack the fissure with anything to help aide in healing? Due to the uploading restrictions, I’ve included the most helpful pictures.

Thanks for all your help!

B68AF2EE-B204-4D6C-ACC8-9B8608C8190B.jpeg

1408FBE7-C631-4BE7-B4F4-5AE2B05FE45A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I think the trunk is rotting from some sort of fungus. I think it’s toast. Happy to be proven wrong though. Others may disagree. But imo it’s gone. Sorry.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

This palm is dead.   Sorry your initial post is a downer, but Welcome to Palmtalk.  :)

San Francisco, California

See above.

The concave of the trunk is enough evidence that this palm is done.

The good news is that Foxtails (Wodyetia bifurcata) are ubiquitous and relatively cheap here in Central FL at this time.  The bad news is you will likely need a new one. 

Welcome to the forums even if it isn't the kind of welcome we all would prefer.  Someone from your/our area may even have a spare Foxtail palm they could spot you.  I'm out at this point or I would gladly help you out.  I do have some Royal (Roystonea regia) seedlings if you would like.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I agree that it is terminal, unfortunately.  As others have said, welcome to Palmtalk!  Stick around.

I only have seeds I am waiting on to germinate (and a small palm I am nursing back to health) but you are welcome to some if you really want.

Edited by palmsOrl

One thing to think about, would it be safe for OrlandoPalmGuy to dig up the infected palm and just plant a new one in its place, or might the soil be infected and infect the new palm?

• Like 1

That’s not so much a crack, it’s more just caving in on itself which means it is rotting inside. Most likely not too much longer to live. Where I live a replacement that size would run about $150-$200.

9 hours ago, The Gerg said:

That’s not so much a crack, it’s more just caving in on itself which means it is rotting inside. Most likely not too much longer to live. Where I live a replacement that size would run about $150-$200.

$25 if you go to an out west nursery around me.

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I thought maybe it was a mutant, splitting to create two growing points!  I just saw a Queen like that, with a second head growing off the side near the top.  But, alas, it is unlikely to be a mutant two-headed palm.  :( 

Depending on where you are in Orlando, you might be able to get a nice sized replacement at Green's Nursery in Apopka.  The last time I was there they had some larger Adonidia and Foxtails for about $35-60.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your help! Apopka is worth the drive for that price. I paid about $100/tree when I bought them. The other tree is thriving and the fronds are a nice emerald green13153BB1-4CD6-4AC6-8072-73E7F7E4F7A0.thumb.jpeg.932919c6ce400821fafc45c1ddfeb7e3.jpeg, which makes me believe it’s not because of my care schedule.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OrlandoPalmGuy said:

Thanks everyone for your help! Apopka is worth the drive for that price. I paid about $100/tree when I bought them. The other tree is thriving and the fronds are a nice emerald green, which makes me believe it’s not because of my care schedule.

Sprinklers hitting palm trunks can cause rot, so I have all of my palms on drip irrigation.  I don't know if that's an issue in your yard, but it's possible.  If you do replace it, try to put the new palm several feet away from your current hole.  Some fungi can live in the soil for years, so if it is a fungal infection then a new palm might get the exact same fungus.

Greens is a good spot for wholesale open-to-the-public palms and other plants, but their inventory varies a lot.  If you are thinking of going up there give them a call first. 

I think you may have just been unlucky and got an infected palm. It happens. Maybe something in the potting mixthat the palm couldnt fight. Plant another and enjoy. Lightening normally never strikes twice. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

You can get a replacement about that size for ~ $150 at Brentwood Nursery on Lee Vista. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

You might have already found a replacement, but I was picking up dripline at the Home Depot at Redbug/Mitchell Hammock and 417 at lunch.  They had a "Special Buy" Foxtail for $50 in the back of the outdoor yard that was pretty big.  It might have been about the size of the two in the photo.  If you haven't found a replacement yet that might be a good option!