IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

RyManUtah

Filifera babies popping up. Seeds sown from rotten fruit beneath the afformentioned wild Nevada specimens. What a nice surprise! 

0A9C39E5-FC22-4DEA-8100-79F9088DBA40.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Gorgeous palms!  I'm guessing (and hoping) the parents of my seedlings looked as nice!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Gorgeous palms!  I'm guessing (and hoping) the parents of my seedlings looked as nice!

Right? If they are from where I’m assuming, they’re even more stunning! Growing next to a desert spring, just the way they like it . These two likely are bird/coyote planted, only getting flood or ground water. 

Very nice!  Seems like the desert palm seeds (like Brahea, Washingtonia) hold their viability for quite awhile.

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

Any advice on when to move these to the light? They’re currently in the garage, well above 90F most of the time. 

I moved mine outside to the racks because I needed the additional space inside.  Most were just barely pushing their first leaf when I moved them.  They seemed to handle the move just fine.  At this point, they get about 1/2 a day of sun.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

On 7/8/2019 at 3:51 PM, kinzyjr said:

I moved mine outside to the racks because I needed the additional space inside.  Most were just barely pushing their first leaf when I moved them.  They seemed to handle the move just fine.  At this point, they get about 1/2 a day of sun.

The shallow tray they were in was way too small (didn’t actually expect anything). Look at the roots on these guys! They’ve been moved to part sun in individual “pots” for the time being. 

6F39E925-AEA3-41C4-A3E3-9A11DADA1BFD.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Update: Three months old. The biggest one. The fan is opening. I’m excited. Anybody know when the hair and thorns start to develop? Looks the the hair may be starting. 

2DF61D22-3DF8-46B5-9540-8308266C4950.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

As far as the hair, I've seen some on seedlings with only 4 leaflets.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

Wow! That's fast. That root suggests to me that this palm's speed is an evolutionary adaptation to get quickly established in order to tolerate future drought. Love the glamour photo of the parents!

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. I kept a couple from the lot for myself. I’m happy with them.. hopefully have a permanent outside home in spring.  :greenthumb:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Update: 9 months have passed since germination. Biggest ones went in the ground. They’re very actively growing since things warmed up. 

71DF5486-F68D-44FD-9C2A-B46D17120816.thumb.jpeg.ab6ee72274f39e93c441246256c0f0e7.jpeg

9mo filifera and hand for size

F2AEAC5A-4D6F-466F-ABF7-ED191A4CD4D9.thumb.jpeg.1859d4822aba32fddf407e572240e0fe.jpeg

Same palm planted. Was in a 2g container

57BD315E-4013-4B38-9636-C2FDE7700D81.thumb.jpeg.fc6ec38c3b98578e492a2399df7704c0.jpeg

Biggest 9mo pushing out more fronds. 

please disregard my soil. I am currently lacking a few ingredients I normally would mix. This was my leftover top dressing and native soil. Being washingtonia, I figured it was fine haha. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

A slightly dated photo of my rock garden with a few Washintonia filifera seedlings.  I've since filled it in with some stone mulch.  A few perished as expected, but a few started to grow a little quicker after the rain a few days ago.  Hopefully that means they'll be here for a while.

20191226_164334_Rock_Garden_Filifera_Forest.jpg

• Like 5

Lakeland, FL

Florida rocks are are hard to come by. They're like a needle in a haystack down there :D

Looking good! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 7:30 PM, kinzyjr said:

A slightly dated photo of my rock garden with a few Washintonia filifera seedlings.  I've since filled it in with some stone mulch.  A few perished as expected, but a few started to grow a little quicker after the rain a few days ago.  Hopefully that means they'll be here for a while.

20191226_164334_Rock_Garden_Filifera_Forest.jpg

That looks good. Right next to what looks to be ice cream bananas. Keep me posted on how they do. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 1:37 AM, Manalto said:

Wow! That's fast. That root suggests to me that this palm's speed is an evolutionary adaptation to get quickly established in order to tolerate future drought. Love the glamour photo of the parents!

filifera tap into underground water such as springs or ground water so they need deep roots. 

On 4/23/2020 at 3:18 AM, RJ said:

Florida rocks are are hard to come by. They're like a needle in a haystack down there :D

Looking good! 

I cheated a little on the rocks.  I got the rocks and broken concrete from a demolition.  The ground under the concrete had rock mixed with sand - perfect for planting Washingtonia filifera.  I got a rake and spread the dirt out and let the rain clean the sand off so I could use the rocks in the bed.  Since my soil is more loamy, I did use a lot of the sand to fill the bed for planting.

3 hours ago, PlantDad said:

That looks good. Right next to what looks to be ice cream bananas. Keep me posted on how they do. 

You have an eye for detail.  They are certainly Ice Cream bananas, one of which is now flowering.  There is also Giant Timber Bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii), Papayas and a Sabal minor on top of the mound.  The almost dead Sugarcane was dug out and replaced with a Teddy Bear palm (Dypsis leptocheilos).  The sugarcane is making a solid comeback in an area with more sun.  This area used to get more sun, but the avocado tree in the background has more of a bush form than a tree form at this point and was shading it out.

Here is a more updated photo of the bed filled with stone and broken concrete.  You can see a couple of blocks used to shade a few palms that were struggling.  There's still a lot to be done on this area - definitely a work in progress.  I included a photo of one of the Washingtonias getting its trademark filaments and palmate leaves.

20200506_175148_DesertStoneGarden_02_1600.jpg

20200505_182046_Washingtonia_filifera_02_800.jpg

• Like 4

Lakeland, FL

5 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

I cheated a little on the rocks.  I got the rocks and broken concrete from a demolition.  The ground under the concrete had rock mixed with sand - perfect for planting Washingtonia filifera.  I got a rake and spread the dirt out and let the rain clean the sand off so I could use the rocks in the bed.  Since my soil is more loamy, I did use a lot of the sand to fill the bed for planting.

You have an eye for detail.  They are certainly Ice Cream bananas, one of which is now flowering.  There is also Giant Timber Bamboo (Bambusa oldhamii), Papayas and a Sabal minor on top of the mound.  The almost dead Sugarcane was dug out and replaced with a Teddy Bear palm (Dypsis leptocheilos).  The sugarcane is making a solid comeback in an area with more sun.  This area used to get more sun, but the avocado tree in the background has more of a bush form than a tree form at this point and was shading it out.

Here is a more updated photo of the bed filled with stone and broken concrete.  You can see a couple of blocks used to shade a few palms that were struggling.  There's still a lot to be done on this area - definitely a work in progress.  I included a photo of one of the Washingtonias getting its trademark filaments and palmate leaves.

20200506_175148_DesertStoneGarden_02_1600.jpg

20200505_182046_Washingtonia_filifera_02_800.jpg

I was thinking the other plant was bamboo but I wasn't totally sure. Wow you can grow papayas. I'm so jealous. I want some of your Ice cream bananas. Wow your filifera bed is looking good and the filifera look really happy. You have the perfect setup for them. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, RyManUtah said:

13111673-AD79-485C-A93D-47C8B3226CDF.jpeg.20633e0d135e6b97f24a5a4efec79ee5.jpegOne Year Photo Update

Nice. True Filifera does look rather unique at that age, compared to Robusta or even filibusta. The bright green colour and shape of the leaf bases, and the copious amounts of cotton I guess would be what I notice first.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2020 at 5:11 PM, sipalms said:

Nice. True Filifera does look rather unique at that age, compared to Robusta or even filibusta. The bright green colour and shape of the leaf bases, and the copious amounts of cotton I guess would be what I notice first.

Yep, filifera means thread-bearing and it sure does seem to be the case.