Ryagra

Filifera seedlings

Ryagra

Filifera babies popping up. Seeds sown from rotten fruit beneath the afformentioned wild Nevada specimens. What a nice surprise! 

0A9C39E5-FC22-4DEA-8100-79F9088DBA40.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Ryagra

Parents 39A645E8-8878-4231-AA25-4A591ED76B4B.jpeg.36f3bb7527a0596fbf93e2248ed1f890.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

kinzyjr

Gorgeous palms!  I'm guessing (and hoping) the parents of my seedlings looked as nice!

• Upvote 1

Ryagra
3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Gorgeous palms!  I'm guessing (and hoping) the parents of my seedlings looked as nice!

Right? If they are from where I’m assuming, they’re even more stunning! Growing next to a desert spring, just the way they like it . These two likely are bird/coyote planted, only getting flood or ground water. 

PalmTreeDude

You got the seeds from some nice ones, that's for sure! 

• Like 1

Fusca

Very nice!  Seems like the desert palm seeds (like Brahea, Washingtonia) hold their viability for quite awhile.

• Upvote 1

Ryagra

Any advice on when to move these to the light? They’re currently in the garage, well above 90F most of the time. 

kinzyjr

I moved mine outside to the racks because I needed the additional space inside.  Most were just barely pushing their first leaf when I moved them.  They seemed to handle the move just fine.  At this point, they get about 1/2 a day of sun.

• Upvote 1

Ryagra
On 7/8/2019 at 3:51 PM, kinzyjr said:

I moved mine outside to the racks because I needed the additional space inside.  Most were just barely pushing their first leaf when I moved them.  They seemed to handle the move just fine.  At this point, they get about 1/2 a day of sun.

The shallow tray they were in was way too small (didn’t actually expect anything). Look at the roots on these guys! They’ve been moved to part sun in individual “pots” for the time being. 

6F39E925-AEA3-41C4-A3E3-9A11DADA1BFD.jpeg

• Like 2

Ryagra

Update: Three months old. The biggest one. The fan is opening. I’m excited. Anybody know when the hair and thorns start to develop? Looks the the hair may be starting. 

2DF61D22-3DF8-46B5-9540-8308266C4950.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

These palms are so fast =) looking like they will be getting bumped up soon 

• Like 1

kinzyjr

As far as the hair, I've seen some on seedlings with only 4 leaflets.

• Like 1

Manalto

Wow! That's fast. That root suggests to me that this palm's speed is an evolutionary adaptation to get quickly established in order to tolerate future drought. Love the glamour photo of the parents!

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 1

Ryagra

Update: five months old, had to be repotted325EA93D-248E-466E-9483-D8C4F430E591.jpeg.92e57d525da4be8cabff9536d22503e6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Wow that thing is a rocket ship haha good growing!! 

• Like 1

PalmTreeDude

That seedling is BEEFY! 

• Like 1

Ryagra

Thanks guys. I kept a couple from the lot for myself. I’m happy with them.. hopefully have a permanent outside home in spring.  :greenthumb:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1