IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Modesto dypsis decipiens has a date with a chainsaw

JEFF IN MODESTO

Most of Palm nuts in California have followed the growth of my dypsis decipiens since I planted it back in the 1990’s.

unfortunately, the last 5 years the growth has speeded up and the palm is pushing over 1 ft of new trunk  each year. Sadly the trunk is also getting fatter so the rain gutter on my house is in danger. By the way this thing is growing, by next summer the roof itself may see some damage.

i tried to sell it.  No takers so when the weather cools, with the help of my gardener I’m gonna take a chainsaw too it.

:(

Jeff

93A63F67-BBAF-49CA-BC65-4914676D4CF3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

4 minutes ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

Most of Palm nuts in California have followed the growth of my dypsis decipiens since I planted it back in the 1990’s.

unfortunately, the last 5 years the growth has speeded up and the palm is pushing over 1 ft of new trunk  each year. Sadly the trunk is also getting fatter so the rain gutter on my house is in danger. By the way this thing is growing, by next summer the roof itself may see some damage.

i tried to sell it.  No takers so when the weather cools, with the help of my gardener I’m gonna take a chainsaw too it.

:(

Jeff

Such a shame for a locally iconic palm! Too bad one of the public parks or zoos in the Central Valley (or Bay Area) couldn't be tempted to fund transplanting it. :(

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I think we need to start a Go Fund Me...to move Jeff's house!

Good call , what a beautiful specimen, maybe reengineer the casa haha 

T J 

Jeff, just notch the overhang of the eave.  I dont care about your HOA.  Threaten them with publicity about your unique speciman !  :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

53 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Jeff, just notch the overhang of the eave.  I dont care about your HOA.  Threaten them with publicity about your unique speciman !  :)

They wouldn’t even notice.  

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Nnnnnnoooooooo!!!!!!!! That’s seriously the most fantastic D. decipiens I’ve seen, and I’ve never seen that except on this forum, but I’ve been following that palm for years and it keeps looking better and better.  I would suggest moving the whole house a foot before chopping that palm down but it seems that similar ideas have already been thrown out there. 

If you were trying to sell it, would you not also consider digging it up and replanting it a couple feet out?  I know that would probably come at significant expense. Wish you had a good option here, good luck. 

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

This is a ridiculous premise. What would it take, an hour to dig that thing up? Any little piece of skid steer equipment can move it, what's that, a hundred fifty bucks? If nobody will give me what I want, I will kill it. Okay, go ahead and kill it.

• Like 4

I had no idea this species could look as majestic.  In-fact, I might even go so far as to say that your palm is one of the nicer looking palms I have seen, period.  

Surely, it can be moved (with time, effort and expense, I know, but still).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hillizard said:

^^ This is exactly what I'd be doing if I had no alternative in such a situation..  Call any, and every botanical garden/ parks deptmt.. palm nursery who might be able to relocate it in the area, region, state.. I can't imagine someone not seeing this and not want it in their collection. Maybe have the local newspaper do another story.. As for HOAs.. -- 'em.. 

Why would anyone want to erase something that rare and something to which so much time .and years have been put into..  Queens, Washingtonia R's? Yea, no worth in saving something so common and boring..  This?.. deserves a stately new home, if it can't stay there. .. It's supposed to be about the plants and less about anything else.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a suggestion, take it for what it is worth (which may not be much).

Dig out the soil around and a bit under the portion of the rootball on the side away from the house.  Then, pull the palm out away from the house enough so it is leaning outward and the thickness of the trunk will not infringe on the roof or gutters.  Finally, fill back in the empty space and get the palm tucked in in its new position.

Your palm may look awkward for some time but eventually it will grow vertically again and have an interesting curve to the trunk.  I would at least do this as a last resort.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

I have a suggestion, take it for what it is worth (which may not be much).

Dig out the soil around and a bit under the portion of the rootball on the side away from the house.  Then, pull the palm out away from the house enough so it is leaning outward and the thickness of the trunk will not infringe on the roof or gutters.  Finally, fill back in the empty space and get the palm tucked in in its new position.

Your palm may look awkward for some time but eventually it will grow vertically again and have an interesting curve to the trunk.  I would at least do this as a last resort.

Yep, do this if you can't just take a bite out of the house (very easy job for any handy Andy).   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kurt decker said:

This is a ridiculous premise. What would it take, an hour to dig that thing up? Any little piece of skid steer equipment can move it, what's that, a hundred fifty bucks? If nobody will give me what I want, I will kill it. Okay, go ahead and kill it.

Sadly I have some disabilities and am in no shape to move it. It’s free to anyone who wants to give it a good home. Though if someone were to profit off it I’d want something for the 20 plus years I put into it.

not sure about the hostile comments, I thought we were all friends here.

Edited by JEFF IN MODESTO

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Sad news indeed.

My hope is that you can find another solution and not have to sacrifice the palm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

The hoa is unmerciful.

From time to time I have painful episodes of gout, I just stay in bed till it subsided .

so I get a $50 fine each time I don’t bring my trash can in fast enough .

Edited by JEFF IN MODESTO

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I may have a taker!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

5 hours ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

We are all friends here. If I lived in California I would have dug it out and moved it for you, no problem. That's the best grown dypsis decipiens I've ever seen. I'm glad you found it a home. You did a great job growing that thing.

• Like 4

Modify the house man. Cutting it down would be so sad.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

2 hours ago, kurt decker said:

We are all friends here. If I lived in California I would have dug it out and moved it for you, no problem. That's the best grown dypsis decipiens I've ever seen. I'm glad you found it a home. You did a great job growing that thing.

Thanks, my desperate call for help looks like it paid off.

i actually got two people who volunteered to come dig up the palm. One is an experienced palm relocation expert and another is working on a botanical garden in Northern California.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I hope it can be saved. That is one of the most stunning palms I have ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

i actually got two people who volunteered to come dig up the palm. One is an experienced palm relocation expert and another is working on a botanical garden in Northern California.

Great news!

And hats off to this community for stepping up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If your current solution falls through PLEASE reach out to the Palmtalk community again before killing that beautiful specimen.

• Like 1

Gorgeous palm, wish I could grow one here.  I have also watched that one over the yearsglad to hear it will find a home for others to enjoy.  

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

6 hours ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

That's a great "Breaking News" update! I hope you can share more about where your legacy palm will end up and if there's anything we can do as Arecaceae-philes to help with its relocation. :lol2: